Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2013, 08:50 AM   #1921
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearPizzaMan View Post
It's CT policy to pay a lot of money for substandard maintenance. Same reason Fortis has to rebuild the escalator at Dalhousie every 3 months.
Thanks. I wondered if shotty construction work was to blame on a station that just opened.

Normally if I have to wait 15 min in -30 its ok. But when busses are delayed by over an hour and there is no place with even a remote amount of heat it gets really frustrating and I wonder why I bother taking transit.

The shelter is actually colder for some reason than standing outside it seems. Its just unfortunate that it forces me to take the express bus to my hood from DT instead of shopping downtown and taking the train/bus
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #1922
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wrote my 3rd ever tweet today to @calgarytransit

They replied 2mins later indicating heating was repaired but was turned down because it was too hot

Last night after waiting for my bus for 85 minutes after some ###### in a truck decided they needed to play bumper cars with 2 semis and closed Glenore in both directions (not CT fault but heat in the shelter would have made the wait more enjoyable)

It was clear to me that the temperature outside the shelter was warmer than inside the shelter so they must have turned the heat really low. But at least they replied to my tweet and in quick order. Good service from the CT Twitter folks, now we will see if the heat actually exists the next time I need to use it.
Old 12-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #1923
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
after some ###### in a truck decided they needed to play bumper cars with 2 semis and closed Glenore in both directions
You might want to rewrite this sentence.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:10 PM   #1924
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus thats heartless; Myk just proving he's still the Myk-iest poster on the forum.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 12:20 PM   #1925
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Last night after waiting for my bus for 85 minutes after some ###### in a truck decided they needed to play bumper cars with 2 semis and closed Glenore in both directions (not CT fault but heat in the shelter would have made the wait more enjoyable)
You mean the one with the dead toddler?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 01:55 PM   #1926
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
You mean the one with the dead toddler?
I mean whoever was the one that caused the accident that closed the road. If it wasnt the truck then I retract the statement. If it was the truck then yes, I mean that person.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:43 PM   #1927
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Free wifi coming to City Hall, Chinook, University stations.

Quote:
Free Wifi coming to nine locations including city parks, LRT stations

By Jason Markusoff, Calgary Herald December 19, 2013

[...]

Calgary-based Shaw Communications will provide Wi-Fi at city sites in exchange for getting rights to advertise its own services, likely on the Wi-Fi welcome page, a city technology manager said.

[...]

The exact launch date isn’t decided yet, but the first city Wi-Fi sites should launch in the first three months of 2014, said Heather Reed-Fenske innovation manager for the city’s information technology unit.

The city may also expand services yet in the future to LRTs themselves, she added.

[...]
http://www.calgaryherald.com/busines...tml?id=9305696
frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 12:06 AM   #1928
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I'm not sure that the value from advertising would be worth the cost of providing the service. Nice generosity from Shaw if that's the case.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM   #1929
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I'm not sure that the value from advertising would be worth the cost of providing the service. Nice generosity from Shaw if that's the case.
I wouldn't quite agree this is generosity, more like ensuring a huge amount of Calgarians see their logo when they go online daily, and thus ensure they sign up with Shaw.

However, I am part of the camp that believes in capitalism, if you can make more money by donating to charity, or doing work for the common good, good for you. So I guess good for Shaw.
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #1930
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavvy View Post
I wouldn't quite agree this is generosity, more like ensuring a huge amount of Calgarians see their logo when they go online daily, and thus ensure they sign up with Shaw.

However, I am part of the camp that believes in capitalism, if you can make more money by donating to charity, or doing work for the common good, good for you. So I guess good for Shaw.
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could possibly be against this. If you don't like it, don't use it, and then you won't have access or ads, just like now. For the substantial rest of the population that likes free wifi, this is great news.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #1931
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Yeah, I don't see how anyone could possibly be against this. If you don't like it, don't use it, and then you won't have access or ads, just like now. For the substantial rest of the population that likes free wifi, this is great news.
I am assuming from what I read that the ads at the station will be Shaw ads, not just ads within the Wifi experience. Have I misread things?

edit: nm, I am wrong, it clearly said it was on the wifi welcome page

It still kind of makes sense though. Shaw has the infrastructure built up to do this through ShawGo Wifi, and if they get people to realize how good it can be to have wifi available in a public location, they might get enough subscribers who are interested in having ShawGo wifi access in other locations to offset the administration cost.

Last edited by Rathji; 12-23-2013 at 10:42 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:02 AM   #1932
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Will it be free wifi? Or just access to ShawGo?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 12:31 PM   #1933
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Will it be free wifi? Or just access to ShawGo?
Says 'free public access'... Since the City tendered offers on this one, I'd say the requirement is that it be open and not secured for just Shaw users.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #1934
stevinder
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Screw Shaw. Just put some wireless boosters in all the tunnels, especially Cemetery Hill.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #1935
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

As posted by TallisRH on SSP. One of the newest LRVs (SD160 "Calgary 8s") has had bench-style seating installed as a trial.

If anyone ends up riding this train, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Let CT know as well.

frinkprof is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frinkprof For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2013, 11:05 PM   #1936
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

How many stickers and/or Sharpie graffiti tags are going to end up on that bench? Kind of seems like a blank canvas for someone....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:43 PM   #1937
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
As posted by TallisRH on SSP. One of the newest LRVs (SD160 "Calgary 8s") has had bench-style seating installed as a trial.

If anyone ends up riding this train, I'd be interested to hear what you think. Let CT know as well.

I've been on one, way off-peak. Not a fan of the total lack of padding and I think the seats might be shallower (or they just feel that way) ... it makes you feel like if you're not sitting totally straight you might slide off. The bench is the way to go though. Seems like they might also be improved if the benches didn't have that gap (visible in this photo), but that's a very minor thing.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:40 AM   #1938
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post

I did not particularly like the feel of the seating. Found them flat and not very comfortable.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #1939
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm surprised anyone who takes transit is actually expecting any comfort whatsoever...

Isn't the definition of Calgary Transit: "uncomfortable"?
Old 12-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #1940
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I definitely think bench seating is the way to go. I hope if Calgary Transit gets a bunch of complaints, the conclusion is, "we should have installed bench seating with the blue padded seats" not "people don't like bench seating"
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings