Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #2981
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ That part of town is geographically isolated, for sure. Access has always been a problem. As an outsider though, I can't understand why delaying or cancelling big projects like this make any sense. "Save us from our congestion!!", so the city comes up with a massive plan to do just that, and suddenly it becomes "Now? Here? Why?"

You've stated your support for the project, even if marginally, so I'm not directing it at you personally. But construction delays are pretty much a fact of life in this city. I have a couple of options for my commute, and I can't recall a time in the last 15 years that at least one of them wasn't impacted by construction of major projects, and quite often both of them. I will add, however, that I do think that the city does a pretty good job at keeping things free flowing, and they do a lot more work at night.

Not saying that we can't be annoyed by construction, but perhaps that area's relative isolation for years has been both a blessing and a curse when it comes to avoiding a lot of the delays other parts of the city have seen.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:35 AM   #2982
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
^ That part of town is geographically isolated, for sure. Access has always been a problem. As an outsider though, I can't understand why delaying or cancelling big projects like this make any sense. "Save us from our congestion!!", so the city comes up with a massive plan to do just that, and suddenly it becomes "Now? Here? Why?"
Support for the ring road is strong, but not so much for the BRT. The former is expected to alleviate congestion, while the latter is not.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2017, 09:57 AM   #2983
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Support for the ring road is strong, but not so much for the BRT. The former is expected to alleviate congestion, while the latter is not.
Only one project aims to help take vehicles off the road, which is the only real solution to alleviating congestion long term. But ignoring that, the costs are so astronomically different, the BRT shouldn't be expected to have anywhere near the impact given how much money is being used up by the Ring Road. You could build a SW BRT every year for 25 years with what the province is throwing at the SW Ring Road, and then the city could fund a few more with what they have committed to actually connecting the ring road to city with interchanges. So with that scale of funding, the SW Ring Road had better have a huge impact on congestion compared to the BRT. Many orders of magnitude better.

But with the Glenmore/Crowchild work being delayed, it isn't going to be a pleasant transition from the Ring Road to get to Crowchild. Using the Ring Road to skip past Fish Creek more efficiently will be good for people south of FC, but 14th to Glenmore to Crowchild will still be a pretty popular route for most.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #2984
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

when will they get rid of the old trains? 3 of them have broken down over the last 2 days that I've been on.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:04 AM   #2985
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
when will they get rid of the old trains? 3 of them have broken down over the last 2 days that I've been on.
They're currently in the process of being phased out completely. Don't know when it's complete, but shouldn't be too long now as the Mask trains keep coming in off the assembly line.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:58 PM   #2986
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Each time on the way home I see a newly arrived ctrain between Heritage and Southland I give a fist pump knowing one more Dusseldorf train will be decommissioned. Knowing that each time this happens it lessens the chances of getting on those old trains in the summer with the heater/brakes going.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 01:00 PM   #2987
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is the main issue mechanically with the trains? Seems like every time there is snow or cold weather there is at least one train breakdown, causing delays on an entire line. Can the trains just not handle the cold weather?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:05 PM   #2988
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Each time on the way home I see a newly arrived ctrain between Heritage and Southland I give a fist pump knowing one more Dusseldorf train will be decommissioned. Knowing that each time this happens it lessens the chances of getting on those old trains in the summer with the heater/brakes going.
My main issue with those old trains is the accordion doors that people still, amazingly, have not figured out how they work.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2018, 01:11 PM   #2989
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
My main issue with those old trains is the accordion doors that people still, amazingly, have not figured out how they work.
I always thought the constant announcements were just a malfunction of the door sensor. I haven't seen anybody holding the doors open or preventing them from closing when the announcement to stay clear from the doors goes off.

I dislike the doors on the new trains. They're slow to open and close, and if people don't move in enough, and the door closes on you while you're trying to get in, it actually hurts a bit. Otherwise, I like the new trains.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:17 PM   #2990
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Calgary Public Transit - Discussion

Quote:

Well. You jinxed it.

...Or maybe not. Twitter says police emergency. Police say mech. failure.

Last edited by Wormius; 02-06-2018 at 04:32 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:00 PM   #2991
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
They're currently in the process of being phased out completely. Don't know when it's complete, but shouldn't be too long now as the Mask trains keep coming in off the assembly line.
To completely replace the original U2 cars, and go to all 4 car trains requires about an additional 120 vehicles, at a cost of around half a billion dollars. By the time that whole order comes in, even if it was made now, the first round of second generation cars would need to start being phased out.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:08 PM   #2992
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
What is the main issue mechanically with the trains? Seems like every time there is snow or cold weather there is at least one train breakdown, causing delays on an entire line. Can the trains just not handle the cold weather?
The trains are like any other piece of machinery really - they don't work well in extreme cold.

The oldest trains are especially bad because the air intake vents for the motors are on the lower sides of the train - light and blowing snow can get sucked up in there and short out motors. Newer trains have this on the roof, so they have fewer issues.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:12 AM   #2993
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the moment the blue line is not operational.

https://twitter.com/user/status/961572149118070784
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 AM   #2994
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 PM   #2995
frinkprof
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
To completely replace the original U2 cars, and go to all 4 car trains requires about an additional 120 vehicles, at a cost of around half a billion dollars. By the time that whole order comes in, even if it was made now, the first round of second generation cars would need to start being phased out.
A little under 100 new LRVs by my math.

I believe the City has an option to make another order of 60 (ish) at the same rates as the current order of 63.

I think a possible path forward would be to order the additional 60 now, and make up the rest of the discrepancy by ordering 15 or so extra for each extension to existing lines. When lines have been extended in the past, extra LRVs were ordered to service the new track. So, when the south line is extended to 210th Ave, instead of ordering 8-10 LRVS, add to that order to make it 25. For the West line extension to Aspen Woods, order 20 instead of 5.

There will be extensions to 210th Ave., Aspen Woods and a (likely) 2 phase extension to the Northeast line to Country Hills and then Stoney.

The next order of 60 (if made) should take care of the remaining U2 replacement and get a few more 4 car trains. Moving to full 4 car train service can be approached with smaller, strategic orders.

Just an idea.
frinkprof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #2996
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I always thought the constant announcements were just a malfunction of the door sensor. I haven't seen anybody holding the doors open or preventing them from closing when the announcement to stay clear from the doors goes off.

I dislike the doors on the new trains. They're slow to open and close, and if people don't move in enough, and the door closes on you while you're trying to get in, it actually hurts a bit. Otherwise, I like the new trains.
The announcement to please stand clear of the doors is automatic if the doors are not closed and locked by a certain time which differs train to train. The door cycle is about 20 seconds (how long you will be able to open the doors) and on average by about 30 seconds you will hear the stand clear announcement.
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #2997
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man...yet ANOTHER major delay on the Somerset line after work (train broke down...yes the old model. End of the line turned into Anderson, shuttles from there). I swear it feels like in 4 months of taking this line, I've experienced more delays than I did in 3.5 years on the 69th St line. Which is weird because on that line we almost always got the old ones.

It's always going down on the red line
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #2998
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Man...yet ANOTHER major delay on the Somerset line after work (train broke down...yes the old model. End of the line turned into Anderson, shuttles from there). I swear it feels like in 4 months of taking this line, I've experienced more delays than I did in 3.5 years on the 69th St line. Which is weird because on that line we almost always got the old ones.

It's always going down on the red line
Was this today? Transit twitter talked about a train having a mechanical problem, but nothing about shuttles.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:27 PM   #2999
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frinkprof View Post
A little under 100 new LRVs by my math.

I believe the City has an option to make another order of 60 (ish) at the same rates as the current order of 63.

I think a possible path forward would be to order the additional 60 now, and make up the rest of the discrepancy by ordering 15 or so extra for each extension to existing lines. When lines have been extended in the past, extra LRVs were ordered to service the new track. So, when the south line is extended to 210th Ave, instead of ordering 8-10 LRVS, add to that order to make it 25. For the West line extension to Aspen Woods, order 20 instead of 5.

There will be extensions to 210th Ave., Aspen Woods and a (likely) 2 phase extension to the Northeast line to Country Hills and then Stoney.

The next order of 60 (if made) should take care of the remaining U2 replacement and get a few more 4 car trains. Moving to full 4 car train service can be approached with smaller, strategic orders.

Just an idea.
Sounds good.

We definitely need to keep a continuous stream of them coming in for the next 10 years.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 PM   #3000
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingmoose View Post
Was this today? Transit twitter talked about a train having a mechanical problem, but nothing about shuttles.
Yeah, roughly 5ish, conductor announced it. Actually felt lucky at first as I get off at Anderson, but the parking lot turned into such a zoo from it that people who parked there basically couldn't get out for a while. Saw the line and the no movement, said nuts to this and crossed the bridge to Southcentre milestones to catch the first period.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-train , calgary transit , information , lrt , renderings