Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #501
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Aren't the police notorious for crapping all over any public satisfaction survey they themselves did not conduct, then releasing their own totally official and not doctored or massaged in any way surveys that show almost unanimous boners for the police force?
Not sure. There's the Calgary citizen survey, that has the population scoring the CPS at well over 90%. Which is understandable, I suppose.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:13 AM   #502
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Not sure. There's the Calgary citizen survey, that has the population scoring the CPS at well over 90%. Which is understandable, I suppose.
Here's the police showing 94% satisfaction last October:

http://www.calgarysun.com/2016/10/12...-are-satisfied

Here's a publicly conducted poll (Mainstreet for Postmedia) showing 48% dissatisfaction and only 39% approval released a few weeks earlier:

https://www.scribd.com/document/3256...een&from_embed

If I remember correctly, CPS hand-waved the public poll without really addressing the numbers, and then just dropped their poll on top of it and walked away muttering about how everything is fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:19 AM   #503
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Here's a publicly conducted poll (Mainstreet for Postmedia) showing 48% dissatisfaction and only 39% approval released a few weeks earlier:

If I remember correctly, CPS hand-waved the public poll without really addressing the numbers, and then just dropped their poll on top of it and walked away muttering about how everything is fine.
Interesting.

That mainstreet poll. Was it national, Canadian major cities? or specific to just CPS? I think there needs to be data compare upon.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #504
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Interesting.

That mainstreet poll. Was it national, Canadian major cities? or specific to just CPS? I think there needs to be data compare upon?
The first line literally says it's for CPS. It's a full polling document, the veracity and margin of error are clearly reported.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 08:24 AM   #505
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If I recall the rest of the media and most folks reactions to that correctly, there was quite a bit of issue taken with the somewhat meager sample size. The results were a bit eyebrow raising, but with such a tiny poll size, folks wondered just how legitimate/accurate it could be overall.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:28 AM   #506
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
If I recall the rest of the media and most folks reactions to that correctly, there was quite a bit of issue taken with the somewhat meager sample size. The results were a bit eyebrow raising, but with such a tiny poll size, folks wondered just how legitimate/accurate it could be overall.
It's only a tiny poll if you don't know anything about statistics.

823 sampled falls directly within the noted Confidence Interval reported (+/- 3.41%) for a population of 1,200,000 at a 95% Confidence Level.

Anyone criticizing the sample size is blowing smoke to deflect from the results.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #507
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Fabricated? Jeez, c'mon. I appreciate your posts. Know that. Please don't fire out those sorts of accusations. in fairness, my "noble Joe" comment, was a drive-by.

I asked, due to anything lost in communication. As it stands what's written by Joe then is concerning. If he does not personally, & intimately know each complainant, and their specific complaint wholesomely - then his publicly made assertions are assumptions.

Your reply to that, is he has insider information, and you trust him as a long time friend. I appreciate the loyalty, and your trust of him.

It's the insider information that is just too ambiguous for me.

I think the comments being dissected, and discourse resulting is exactly what to expect on a public reader forum.

----
To the collective;
Do the City & the City Police, do anonymous employee engagement surveys? They absolutely should.
Fair enough. It just seemed you were asking me to prove the conversation was real. Nothing was omitted outside of a couple other people's irrelevant comments (outside of Joe and Bob).

And yes, I agree the comments and dissection are exactly what to expect, which is why I regret posting it.

Anywho, moving on...I'm quite interested to see what comes of this.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #508
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's only a tiny poll if you don't know anything about statistics.

823 sampled falls directly within the noted Confidence Interval reported (+/- 3.41%) for a population of 1,200,000 at a 95% Confidence Level.

Anyone criticizing the sample size is blowing smoke to deflect from the results.
Well, a lot of people don't know things about statistics. After the poll came out, I learned a few things about them. I will also note, that the poll size of the CPS poll (~2000) is often criticized as too small. I learned how ~800 (or~2000) can be somewhat representative of a larger body.

I guess, much like anything, if you have something specific 'you' want to say or show, you can find a way to have it said or shown statistically to back you up.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:51 PM   #509
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Well, a lot of people don't know things about statistics. After the poll came out, I learned a few things about them. I will also note, that the poll size of the CPS poll (~2000) is often criticized as too small. I learned how ~800 (or~2000) can be somewhat representative of a larger body.

I guess, much like anything, if you have something specific 'you' want to say or show, you can find a way to have it said or shown statistically to back you up.
Again, you're misrepresenting the polling result/methodology to push your own agenda. You can't obfuscate the way polling data works and dismiss it just because it represents something different than your expected outcome.

Additionally, the CPS poll was of 1,000 people

Quote:
The data was gathered from 1,000 residents of Calgary over an eight-week period between June 28 and Aug. 18.
which, assuming it is legitimate and not handpicked or doctored, is statistically similar in weight to the Mainstreet poll.

That said, I'm always inclined to believe a poll conducted by a neutral party over one conducted by a party invested in claiming public approval. Live surveys as well tend to skew positive over automated surveys.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #510
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

lol, 94% of Calgarians won't agree on anything.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #511
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
lol, 94% of Calgarians won't agree on anything.
What if you are casually waving around a non-loaded service revolver while you poll? Not in an intimidating way, just run of the mill horseplay like?
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to puckedoff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #512
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, you're misrepresenting the polling result/methodology to push your own agenda. You can't obfuscate the way polling data works and dismiss it just because it represents something different than your expected outcome.

Additionally, the CPS poll was of 1,000 people
I must have misremembered. Or perhaps I was thinking of the internal survey. At any rate, most folks, like me, who don't understand statistics, tend to find fault in the poll size. Of both polls. I have since learned more about stats, and still wonder about the results, but I'm learning.

Quote:
which, assuming it is legitimate and not handpicked or doctored, is statistically similar in weight to the Mainstreet poll.

That said, I'm always inclined to believe a poll conducted by a neutral party over one conducted by a party invested in claiming public approval. Live surveys as well tend to skew positive over automated surveys.
Which is what I'm told is the big thing when it comes to stats. How/where/when are the people polled about what they are being polled about. Right after a major news incident? Randomly, out of the blue? What age brackets? How many in that age bracket? It all makes a difference, it all affects the poll, and can be used to 'swing' the poll the way you want, if you are so inclined.

What made me, personally, question that exact poll was that it touted that there is a 48% dissatisfaction rate, but of the 6 questions asked, only one dealt with satisfaction.

"Thinking about the CPS, do you approve or disapprove of the way they are doing their job." Then had the various approve/disapprove options.

How many people actually understand what is involved when it comes to police work? I felt like getting the answer to that question doesn't really prove anything, but what the media's been doing lately. It'd kinda be like asking "Thinking about PsYcNeT's company, do you approve or disapprove of the way they are doing their job." Most people have no clue what's actually involved in a job unless they've done it. So asking if they think that the person doing the job is doing a good job is pretty pointless, since they don't have the reference points available to make a good call on that. "Well, NASA got the guy to the moon and back. Guess they are doing a good job. Oh, wait, a rocket exploded recently, no, no, they aren't doing a good job."

Asking that above question might as well be asking "Thinking about the CPS, what's the news want you to think about them lately?"

What if that original question had been asked/the poll run right after (or up to a week after) the Garland verdict was announced, instead, say. I wonder what a Mainstreet Media poll would have shown then, for instance.

That Mainstreet poll, and the things I learned after it about stats/polling, really made me wonder about the use of polls in the first place.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 PM   #513
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Why are like, polls even a thing maaan"

In this instance in particular, we're comparing two polls with vastly different results, supposedly obtained from the same population, one using live calls (Police Commission) over a 3 month period and one using automated calls (Mainstreet) on the same day. This calls into question the veracity of a statistically unlikely poll (the one showing 94% agreement).

I question as well whether you actually read either poll beyond the news blurb, as both polls contain a breakdown in demographics.

Continuing to play intellectual grabass and re-framing the discussion to your liking is only pushing the commentary further away from "how the hell does anything get a 94% approval rating, ever?"

Quote:
Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM   #514
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckedoff View Post
What if you are casually waving around a non-loaded service revolver while you poll? Not in an intimidating way, just run of the mill horseplay like?
Thats actually just standard poll-conducting behaviour.

I would dare conduct a poll without my service pistol being casually apparent. It sends out and air of authority, as though I'm a pollster not to be trifled with and that I have indeed attended the Stampede recently.

How do people know you're just goofing around or that you mean business, each accordingly, if you're not casually flipping firearms about?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:29 PM   #515
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pithy stuff like this really drive me crazy with CPS officers.

Time 1:18 for relevance
https://youtu.be/gVZuQBQ0-Ko?t=1m18s

Now it's annoying to see a guy filming but suck it up Officer. I'm no fan of Crackmacs but there is no need for the passing comment and certainly shining the flashlight at him is over the top. Just needless.

It's small, it's close to nothing but it's tiny stuff like this that don't help anything. You're being filmed, the cameraman is not being instructive, staying back and being respectful. Be a big boy policeman and deal with it.

Good on the officer at the end who asked questions respectfully and dealt with it like a trained professional.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 PM   #516
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It was very petty of that bald officer indeed. Would shining a flash light into someone purposefully like that officer count as assault?
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #517
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooohooo View Post
It was very petty of that bald officer indeed. Would shining a flash light into someone purposefully like that officer count as assault?
Only if you are a really, really precious snowflake.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2017, 07:58 AM   #518
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like the term "snowflake" has lost all meaning over the last year.

Quote:
Old 02-25-2017, 01:19 PM   #519
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I feel like the term "snowflake" has lost all meaning over the last year.
Why? Because its no longer special and unique?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #520
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

you're complaining about shining a flashlight for 30 seconds? really?
and someone asked if that could be assault? lmao