Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2016, 09:11 AM   #341
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I got pulled over in a checkstop last night around 2am. I was just finishing work but one of the other cops had a lady pulled over who was getting a breathalyzer.

That doesn't mean anything. I got a breathalyzer once even though I was totally sober. Guessing the cop didn't believe me that I was on my way home from work. I may have looked tired.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #342
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
That doesn't mean anything. I got a breathalyzer once even though I was totally sober. Guessing the cop didn't believe me that I was on my way home from work. I may have looked tired.
"Suspicion or admission" is all they need to request a roadside test. So either a reasonable suspicion that you have consumed alcohol (exhibiting signs of impairment) or admission to having consumed alcohol, the old "i only had 2 beers"!
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #343
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aw man, if the 'roadside test' is anything like they show in movies I probably couldnt do that stone cold sober.

Its rigged I tell you!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #344
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
That doesn't seem right. You would have to had looked so tired that you looked impaired. Were you practically falling asleep?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 01:38 PM   #345
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There was a check stop south bound on 10th st in Kensington Friday night.

You'd think if they were trying to catch drunk drivers, they would set up where people were leaving downtown/Kensington, not arriving?

Last edited by troutman; 12-05-2016 at 01:41 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #346
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That doesn't seem right. You would have to had looked so tired that you looked impaired. Were you practically falling asleep?

No, but it was a 13 hour day for me, and I'd had my contacts in for about 16+ hours by then. My eyes whites may have been red, that happens sometimes.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #347
cznTiburon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
"Suspicion or admission" is all they need to request a roadside test. So either a reasonable suspicion that you have consumed alcohol (exhibiting signs of impairment) or admission to having consumed alcohol, the old "i only had 2 beers"!
Your use of exhibiting signs of impairment is a little bit loose here. Suspicion is just that, a suspicion of consumption of alcohol. If you are exhibiting signs of impairment in theory that should be enough to form grounds and arrest for impaired driving without use of a roadside test.

At least that's how it has been described to me. I would say that Ironhorse is right that he was likely required to provide a roadside due to his eyes being crazy red and being very tired.
cznTiburon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #348
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Aw man, if the 'roadside test' is anything like they show in movies I probably couldnt do that stone cold sober.
Yeah, there's no way I would ever pass the "recite the alphabet backwards" test. Not unless there is some sort of nursery rhyme I can practice with.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:31 AM   #349
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Another heartwarming story about the CPS in the news.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ting-1.3906427

Quote:
Karl Menier, who lives in Mission, arranged to meet what he thought was a buyer for his high-end police radar detector, posted for sale through the popular classifieds website Kijiji.
But when he got to the agreed location a couple of minutes away on 17th Avenue, he says three police vehicles came out of nowhere and he found himself at the centre of a scary takedown.
Quote:
"They were bombarding me with questions, they threw me in the back of the van, they locked me down. I'm still really shocked and it's really humiliating, I've never been humiliated like that in public."
Quote:
"I gave them my home address. They could have come and met me here," he continued.
Menier says police didn't return his radar and he doesn't know when he'll get it back.
"A little apology would be really great. If police have suspicions they should approach people differently, not aggressively like that."
Glad to see we're using the entire strength of the force to shake down that lucrative radar detector theft market. Then keeping the legally purchased goods and refusing to apologize for aggressively arresting and terrorizing an innocent guy.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:34 AM   #350
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wasnt aware that Radar Detectors were Illegal in Alberta.

I know they are mostly elsewhere in Canada, but I thought they were fine here.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:39 AM   #351
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

They are legal here. This "sting" was about trying to recover stolen goods. Apparently this incredibly common radar detector was recently part of a Calgary theft.

CPS's answer was to just tackle the first guy they could find with a similar model and assume it was him that stole it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2016, 10:40 AM   #352
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I wasnt aware that Radar Detectors were Illegal in Alberta.

I know they are mostly elsewhere in Canada, but I thought they were fine here.
Radar detectors aren't illegal in Alberta. It looks like the cops made a mistake and thought this guy was trying to sell a stolen one.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #353
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read this today and it just sucks. Why can't they just be normal? Arrest the guy. Ask him some questions. Then let him go. What's with the agro nonsense?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #354
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

And what frustrates me about this is that their special unit that handled finding/returning stolen goods had just gotten a bunch of good press. It may not even be the best use of resources but it is such a helpless feeling to be robbed and having a unit focus on getting Calgarians back their stuff was such a good public relations move.

That's why this is so frustrating. I don't want my stolen stuff back if the cost is innocent Calgarians getting unnecessarily harassed. They literally could have just walked up to the guy and asked him some questions. When he proved it was legit they could have said thanks, have a nice day and he would have been happy knowing they are out there watching for stolen goods and it would have further added to the positive feedback.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:23 AM   #355
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

FFS, another one:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...908563?cmp=rss

Is it so hard for the police to abide by "innocent until proven guilty"? Maybe knock on the door, and ask to see some proof of ownership before throwing him in the disco box? Who's running this ####show?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #356
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And what frustrates me about this is that their special unit that handled finding/returning stolen goods had just gotten a bunch of good press. It may not even be the best use of resources but it is such a helpless feeling to be robbed and having a unit focus on getting Calgarians back their stuff was such a good public relations move.

That's why this is so frustrating. I don't want my stolen stuff back if the cost is innocent Calgarians getting unnecessarily harassed. They literally could have just walked up to the guy and asked him some questions. When he proved it was legit they could have said thanks, have a nice day and he would have been happy knowing they are out there watching for stolen goods and it would have further added to the positive feedback.
What should happen is that each time one of these incidents occur, CPS needs to reduce their headcount by 1 officer.

3 cruisers + an undercover for some kijiji sting? How much wasted time, resources and planning went into creating this mess. Maybe by reducing their staff, they can refocus their efforts.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:54 AM   #357
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the bike guy got off relatively easy. I wonder if they were a little bit cranky with the radar detector guy because they don't like radar detectors.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:15 AM   #358
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Look people, this is very simple: if you don't want to be arrested, don't sell your own property.

Everyone's such a precious little snowflake nowadays. "Oh gee wiz, I didn't do anything wrong and seven cops arrested me and kept my stuff. Boo hoo hoo."

Man up, you bunch of pansies!

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #359
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I read this today and it just sucks. Why can't they just be normal? Arrest the guy. Ask him some questions. Then let him go. What's with the agro nonsense?
How is it at anyway normal to arrest a guy for selling a legitimate item on a legitimate website?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Sounds like the bike guy got off relatively easy. I wonder if they were a little bit cranky with the radar detector guy because they don't like radar detectors.
Got off easy? For doing something perfectly legal...

I'm really having a hard time understanding your mentality here. Cops should have some sort of proof before arresting someone. That's just the most basic ideology of a free society...
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:39 AM   #360
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
How is it at anyway normal to arrest a guy for selling a legitimate item on a legitimate website?

Got off easy? For doing something perfectly legal...

I'm really having a hard time understanding your mentality here. Cops should have some sort of proof before arresting someone. That's just the most basic ideology of a free society...
Maybe I should have used the word "detain" instead. Technically if you're being investigated you're just being detained. But I have no problem with cops "arresting" someone with reasonable grounds to suspect they committed a crime. Proof, as you say, of course is not required. Glad you're mad though.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post: