Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default xbox 360 Red Light of death

Turned on the console today to play the nhl10 demo, and boom the frightening lights started flashing.........

Sent an email in to the microsoft support site.

Anyone have recent experience with this? Are they good with resolving this in a timely/financially-friendly manner (ie. will this take 4-12 weeks to resolve, and/or will it cost me a fair bit of dough)?!?!?

I just bought my first mac (an imac) 3 weeks ago, and if this issue escalates, i'm shifting to the ps3, @$@#!@# Microsoft. A bad company, with even worse products.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

mine turnaround time was less than a week ... 6 days to be exact... they send me a box , i mailed it back and 6 days later i had a new system. They called me to check details about when they bought it , They told me they couldnt fix it and wanted to send me a reconditioned unite. and i told them i did not want a reconditioned unit.

They kicker her was they send me a new in the retail box system, It was a premium system and I had just bought the core system =) I was happy!
Old 08-24-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanx dude.

You mind stating how long ago this was?

If it was over 6months to a year ago, i'm skeptical whether they have the same policies in place.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had the same results as nickerjones... in July of this year. Took about a week for them to send me a new system. Best part was the old system even when working was VERY loud... and the new one is whisper quiet.

The online system for getting it repaired doesn't really work for Canada (there's a glitch with the postal code / zip code section). So just call in to their support centre and it's a pretty easy walkthrough the menus until you talk to someone directly about it.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

How many lights are flashing?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:56 AM   #6
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

thanx 'icon'.

3 Red lights flashing, powersupply light green.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:

this may sound dumb, but the red ring of death is similar to the warning you get when your monitor cord isn't plugged in right. I've panicked a few times until I noticed the cord was just loose. May not help, but a thought.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there's a difference in which lights are on/flashing. The "Red Lights of Death" are 3 flashing red lights. If there's 3 solid red lights, it's a different issue (ie: the tv cord isnt plugged in, etc) 4 lights, another different issue, and so on.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I just got mine back two weeks ago and my experience was much better than before. Instead of calling them all I did go online and request a repair. They sent me a shipping label via email and I just printed that out, went to Canada Post to buy a box ($5.49) and sent it away. I dropped it off at UPS on July 23 and got it back on August 5th. That's seven business days (there was a civic holiday thrown in there). I think you should get yours back in a timely fashion.

If it makes any difference I sent a Pro console in (with HDMI) and I got another in return with a manufacture date of 5-23-09.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:27 AM   #10
BigFlamesFan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post

Turned on the console today to play the nhl10 demo, and boom the frightening lights started flashing.........

Sent an email in to the microsoft support site.

Anyone have recent experience with this? Are they good with resolving this in a timely/financially-friendly manner (ie. will this take 4-12 weeks to resolve, and/or will it cost me a fair bit of dough)?!?!?

I just bought my first mac (an imac) 3 weeks ago, and if this issue escalates, i'm shifting to the ps3, @$@#!@# Microsoft. A bad company, with even worse products.
If you dont have any luck with Microsoft, I will be opening a video game store around October 1st and we will be performing console repairs. I know its a long time away but keep it in mind if Microsoft screws you around at all.
BigFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #11
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Thanx dude.

You mind stating how long ago this was?

If it was over 6months to a year ago, i'm skeptical whether they have the same policies in place.
summer of 2008 is when it when i had to send mine in
Old 08-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #12
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlamesFan View Post
If you dont have any luck with Microsoft, I will be opening a video game store around October 1st and we will be performing console repairs. I know its a long time away but keep it in mind if Microsoft screws you around at all.
Will there be discounts for CP members?
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Xbox is starting to make a clicking sounds and I am afraid that the Red Ring is coming? Some times when it clicks, it lags on the screen. Am I doomed or is there something I can do to prevent this?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
BigFlamesFan
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lchoy View Post
Will there be discounts for CP members?
Count on it!!
I got some ideas in mind already but am waiting for the store to open before I spread the message too far.

If your a gamer your gonna love what I'm bringing to the table.
BigFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote