Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:
Default Time Machine

Its such a great utility when it works, the problem is it almost never does.

I'm having massive problems with it not mounting/unmounting my sparse bundle properly, making my backups fail, and also making it impossible to shutdown my machine without hard powering it down.

Anyone experience any of these issues? If I look in my /volumes I often find my NAS mounted about 8 times and several time machine mounts as well. So frustrating.

I really hope it's better in the new OS.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
ma-skis.com
Scoring Winger

Exp:

try overclocking to 88 mph... that should do it
ma-skis.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ma-skis.com For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post

Its such a great utility when it works, the problem is it almost never does.

I'm having massive problems with it not mounting/unmounting my sparse bundle properly, making my backups fail, and also making it impossible to shutdown my machine without hard powering it down.

Anyone experience any of these issues? If I look in my /volumes I often find my NAS mounted about 8 times and several time machine mounts as well. So frustrating.

I really hope it's better in the new OS.
What kind of NAS? Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of crummy SMB implementations out there (Apple included...), which is why Time Machine isn't officially supported on third part NAS devices..Are you stuck with SMB only, or can you set up the NAS to do NFS or ideally AFP?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree, definitely sounds like a problem with the flex capacitor.
I have my hard drive(non-Apple) connected as an external drive on my Airport extreme. while i do sometimes have problems with it not being able to connect to my external hard drive, it's rare and most of the time it works great.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I would check the Flux Capacitor. instead of the flex. Just IMO of course.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
What kind of NAS? Unfortunately, I think there are a lot of crummy SMB implementations out there (Apple included...), which is why Time Machine isn't officially supported on third part NAS devices..Are you stuck with SMB only, or can you set up the NAS to do NFS or ideally AFP?
It's a D-Link DNS-323 which has been rock solid for me otherwise. I believe it's SMB only. If Time Machine was written properly it shouldn't matter if my disk chokes and dies half way through the backup, it would be able to resume. Fingers are very crossed they've made it more robust in Snow Leopard.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

While I'm not technical enough to understand the problem, my time machine for the most part has been working really well. It's the sh*ts for customization though (as in there is almost none) and I hope snow leopard fixes that. Problem is I've heard nothing about time machine in snow leopard.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If you need Time Machine to restore individual files and previous revisions, you need Time Machine. If you are just looking for a good way to back up the entire system in case you need to restore from total failure, take a look at SuperDuper - it works really well, and has relatively none of the flakiness Time Machine does working on network attached storage.

Time Machine is a great idea, implemented poorly. In a NAS scenario, you have a virtual file system sitting on top of a physical file system, and inside that, you have literally millions of symbolic links used to provide the point-in-time coherent views of the filesystem. It's no wonder it doesn't always work right.

But if you don't need the ability to go back and fetch the last X number of revisions of a document, if you only ever want the latest backup copy, SuperDuper is a good solution worth looking at.