Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If the election were held today, who would you vote for?
Conservatives 91 39.22%
Liberals 126 54.31%
NDP 6 2.59%
Greens 8 3.45%
Other 1 0.43%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-10-2015, 06:34 PM   #101
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Are altruism and empathy completely foreign concepts to CPC supporters?
It just seems a bit odd to me that someone wouldn't think of themselves first when voting, it wasn't necessarily directed at one voter base.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 06:55 PM   #102
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It just seems a bit odd to me that someone wouldn't think of themselves first when voting, it wasn't necessarily directed at one voter base.
Yeah, well I'm not sure if it's that I'm not thinking of myself or it's more that I think I don't need all that much help compared to a lot of other people. If it comes down to me getting a $500 tax credit that I can blow on wants vs. that $500 going to someone who needs it, I'm picking the latter, and I'm not even in a very high income bracket.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 09:24 PM   #103
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would find it ridiculous for the government to be giving me child tax benefit if I'm making over $200K.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #104
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The altruism in this thread warms the heart. I'm assuming you all are already spending that money on the needy in your community. One would hope you aren't waiting for the feds to do it for you.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:53 AM   #105
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I will never, ever, ever vote Liberal or NDP. Sadly, Harper's Conservatives aren't any better.

I live in the Nose Hill riding and Rempel is the MP. Let's be honest, she isn't hard on the eyes. I can be shallow and, yes, I may vote for her just based on that.

Otherwise, the Conservatives have lost me with their child tax credits (why not just lower taxes?), sale of military equipment to those inbred goat herders in Saudi Arabia, Bill C-51, their stance on marijuana, and the TPP.

Choosing between CPC, Liberals and NDP is like having to choose between syphilis, gonorrhea and chlamydia.You don't win know matter what you choose.

I have no idea who Edward Gao is, but I'll vote for him.
Old 10-11-2015, 08:56 AM   #106
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Otherwise, the Conservatives have lost me with their child tax credits (why not just lower taxes?),

There are actually OK policy reasons behind this, such as the declining birth rate. Canada needs to increase the birth rate as a whole. A targetted tax break which makes raising children a little cheaper is good policy. We wouldn't want to get to the spot Japan is in right now, for example.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:07 AM   #107
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hello fellow Lethbridgians!

I intend to vote today. Based on threehundredeight.com and strategicvoting.ca, the best option to kick the Cons out is to vote NDP. I'm just wondering if anyone has a better pulse on how the district is "feeling"; are we still riding the Orange Wave in Lethbridge, or has that support cooled off in favour of the Liberals?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:10 AM   #108
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
I will never, ever, ever vote Liberal or NDP. Sadly, Harper's Conservatives aren't any better.
Why would you never ever ever vote for anyone? Maybe their policies have changed to be more inline with yours?

All parties evolve.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:12 AM   #109
Bootsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The altruism in this thread warms the heart. I'm assuming you all are already spending that money on the needy in your community. One would hope you aren't waiting for the feds to do it for you.
If they lean left waiting for the feds to do it for them is most likely what they are doing:
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/03/2767...owerful-story/

From the link:
  • Although liberal families’ incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
  • People who reject the idea that “government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality” give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
  • Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
It appears that despite the common objections to the studies, there is at least some truth to the notion that conservatives give more to charity, while liberals see the government as a source of ‘charity.’
Whether or not one agrees with the poignant anecdote, it at least gives people something to think about."
Bootsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bootsy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:18 AM   #110
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
If they lean left waiting for the feds to do it for them is most likely what they are doing:
http://www.ijreview.com/2015/03/2767...owerful-story/

From the link:
  • Although liberal families’ incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
  • People who reject the idea that “government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality” give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.
  • Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.
It appears that despite the common objections to the studies, there is at least some truth to the notion that conservatives give more to charity, while liberals see the government as a source of ‘charity.’
Whether or not one agrees with the poignant anecdote, it at least gives people something to think about."
It's been pointed out before, but the cited article from Russia Today cites a study done on publicly available tax return data from 2006-2012 in the US.

This data categorizes church donations as charitable donations, and I think many persons would disagree with this categorization, and therefore the data is disingenuous, especially since there is much data showing that churches have a much narrower return to charitable investment compared to many of the more well-run charities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-11-2015 at 09:20 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:23 AM   #111
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codes View Post
hello fellow lethbridgians!

I intend to vote today. Based on threehundredeight.com and strategicvoting.ca, the best option to kick the cons out is to vote ndp. I'm just wondering if anyone has a better pulse on how the district is "feeling"; are we still riding the orange wave in lethbridge, or has that support cooled off in favour of the liberals?
codes!
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:27 AM   #112
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's been pointed out before, but the cited article from Russia Today cites a study done on publicly available tax return data from 2006-2012 in the US.

This data categorizes church donations as charitable donations, and I think many persons would disagree with this categorization, and therefore the data is disingenuous, especially since there is much data showing that churches have a much narrower return to charitable investment compared to many of the more well-run charities.
Exactly.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:37 AM   #113
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsy View Post
Well I can guarantee you not $1 nor 1 hour of time of our household contribution to need in our community goes to 'middle class' earning 75k per year. Taking from the rich to give to the reasonable well off only addresses one need: votes. To paint the LPC a champion for this is pretty funny actually.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:39 AM   #114
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
There are actually OK policy reasons behind this, such as the declining birth rate. Canada needs to increase the birth rate as a whole. A targetted tax break which makes raising children a little cheaper is good policy. We wouldn't want to get to the spot Japan is in right now, for example.
I prefer lower taxes as it benefits more people. Why do you prefer tax credits for some over tax cuts for all?
Old 10-11-2015, 09:41 AM   #115
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Why would you never ever ever vote for anyone? Maybe their policies have changed to be more inline with yours?

All parties evolve.
I didn't say I never, ever, ever vote for anyone. The gentleman I pointed out more closely aligns with my views than the three main political parties.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #116
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

Tax cuts for the impoverished would be nice. Nothing like paying all my bills and there's nothing left for food because the government took the rest.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #117
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
Tax cuts for the impoverished would be nice. Nothing like paying all my bills and there's nothing left for food because the government took the rest.
Tax cuts for the impoverished buys you virtually no votes.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #118
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Is there any empirical evidence that boutique tax credits aimed at parents actually increases the birth rate? According to StatsCan, it looks like Harper's baby handouts didn't really have any effect at all.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...lth85b-eng.htm

Also, Japan is an incredibly insular country that allows very little immigration, but Canada is an open and multicultural society. We can easily avoid the demographic problem Japan is facing though increased immigration. I can see why that solution doesn't appeal to Harper and other Old Stock Canadians, though.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 10:04 AM   #119
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcGold View Post
How much tax are you paying? Assuming you live in Alberta and work a full-time job (40 hrs/wk) making minimum wage ($10/hr), you earn $20,800 per year and pay $1,679 in combined federal and provincial income tax (effective tax rate of 8.07%). At that low income level, you're also eligible for GST rebate cheques every quarter (and I assume a variety of other government programs designed to assist low-income Canadians, but I haven't looked into it personally). What amount of taxation do you think is reasonable?
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #120
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codes View Post
Hello fellow Lethbridgians!

I intend to vote today. Based on threehundredeight.com and strategicvoting.ca, the best option to kick the Cons out is to vote NDP. I'm just wondering if anyone has a better pulse on how the district is "feeling"; are we still riding the Orange Wave in Lethbridge, or has that support cooled off in favour of the Liberals?
If you intend to vote strategically, I'd recommend you wait until election day.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote