Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:
Default #iamnottaboo Iceland social movement on depression and anxiety

So a number of famous and well known people have been helping us spread this hastag.

This is mine, as always I write in English since most of my life was in Canada. Depression and Anxiety are something that deserve more respect and understanding.

Here is my piece, among-st many celebrities and well known Icelandic people.

https://www.facebook.com/thor.v.jons...53598985000874

Quote:
I've been so inspired by Sigurdur, Svali&Svavar, Dóri, Hlin, and many others that have shared their stories.
In Iceland we are sharing our honest experience with depression and anxiety, under the hashtag #‪#‎égerekkitabú‬ , which in English is ‪#‎iamnottaboo‬
I suffer from anxiety and depression. My struggle is with anxiety, no matter the drugs I've been prescribed, so far I have not had much success.
In 2007 I was first diagnosed with Anxiety, I had 2 sleepless nights and I checked myself into an emergency room.
Since then I moved to Iceland in 2011, struggled with it since. In 2013 I was on Biggest Loser Iceland. It was a transformation experience. I succeeded, I could not have expected more love, support and joy.
But 1yr later, after the glow went away, my dark friend returned. The death of my father, the afterglow fading of my celebrity.. I entered a dark faze of my life. The last 1 year has been the worst part of my life, I have always accepted that my anxiety is up and down, but until this year my depression has never been worse.
I spend most of my effort in the daytime hiding my struggles, but like most of my brethren and sisters we are hiding a darker place..
Please be there for your loved ones, and don't give up on those who retreat. IF I could give one piece of advise, is that you keep trying even if your friend keeps retreating...
Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 PM   #2
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

As a person who also struggles with depression and anxiety I can appreciate the struggles you are going through, Thor. Keep fighting and never let the darkside win.

Exercise helps in my case and a bright light lamp during the winter months. Having someone you can talk with helps also.

http://www.verilux.com/light-therapy.../winter-blues/

Last edited by Dion; 10-09-2015 at 06:22 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2015, 07:12 PM   #3
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will always be a STAR!

It's very brave to be so open.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 01:17 PM   #4
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had (have) my share of mental health issues and they used to cause me all kinds of problems. Thor, what you did at the biggest loser was fantastic (I followed the thread) and is a good reason to keep your head up high. It takes a lot of fortitude to make that kind of change for yourself. If you can change your body that drastically, you have it in you to change your state of mind as well. I can't tell you how, as that's something unique to everyone much like every mental issue is unique. For me, it's taking my medication (controversial but for me it works and I see it as necessary), setting small and short term goals as well as long term ones. I've found that more structure in my life keeps my issues manageable. With no structure, I become lost, which leads to anger and self resentment. The feeling of even achieving a small goal keeps me going, and much like misery loves company, so does positivity.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2015, 01:50 PM   #5
Cain
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Glad this stuff gets more awareness now. Depression is a terrible terrible thing that I have struggled with for a long time - along with many others.

I submit this little video that I connected with when I was in a dark phase which might help others appreciate or evaluate their actions when conversing with someone in a tough place.

Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cain For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #6
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thank you for being so open. I am sure it wasn't easy. It's great advice that you have there.

I've written and erased this post like 5 times already, but I have also had some experience with this stuff. All I really want to say is that it is easy to fall through the cracks because of the taboo nature, so please talk about it.
]

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 10-11-2015 at 02:04 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote