Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-06-2017, 08:09 AM   #4621
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Info on the new Scorpio is out, looks pretty impressive, a step above the PS4 Pro (as one would expect).

Too little too late though?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/di...-tech-revealed
Old 04-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #4622
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjRhythmic View Post
Same. Hopefully these pro controllers will come to NA soon as I am really thinking about getting this one

I just don't like that it's wired. I get that it's for input lag and for competitive play but I would like the option of wireless built in as well.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:11 AM   #4623
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I only own two games for my Xbox One. Gears 4 and Dead Rising 3. I did have Sunset Overdrive which I got for free when I bought my Xbox One but I traded it in a few weeks ago. I liked it but it wasn't a game I wanted in my collection and had I not got it for free I probably would have never bothered getting it since I'm not into stylized games.

I came oh so close to buying an Xbox one around the holidays and funny enough those were the only two games I wanted to play. I still have faith that deadrising will make its way over to PS4 eventually
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:46 AM   #4624
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It would be great if we could get a next gen Fable game that is in line with the original style of 1,2 and 3. The concept of the game was great and I enjoyed how your appearance would change depending on how good/evil you acted.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:56 AM   #4625
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
It would be great if we could get a next gen Fable game that is in line with the original style of 1,2 and 3. The concept of the game was great and I enjoyed how your appearance would change depending on how good/evil you acted.
Dude, Microsoft killed and shutdown Lionhead studios almost a year ago.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:02 AM   #4626
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Dude, Microsoft killed and shutdown Lionhead studios almost a year ago.
I know. Lionhead really blew it with their last 'fable' game for kinect. They don't even have to use the IP. Another studio could do an action rpg with similar elements but a different story and cannon.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #4627
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The lionhead team wanted to do a gritty R rated Fable 4 but Microsoft was pushing Fable Legends the flop. Rare did pick up a lot of the ex lionhead team so there is a possibility there of developing one.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:31 AM   #4628
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

That new Scorpio news is so spec heavy I dozed off a bit. Sounds like it's going to have an impressive level of power, which was rumoured at E3 last year. If I recall the initial discussions around that kind of power had the price pegged as quite high. It'll be interesting to see what they price it at.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #4629
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what the point is really. Third parties aren't going to leave behind the 80-90 million people playing on PS4/XB1 just to have jazzed up graphics. How many people are they counting on paying a premium to play nicer looking Halo and Forza?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #4630
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Not sure what the point is really. Third parties aren't going to leave behind the 80-90 million people playing on PS4/XB1 just to have jazzed up graphics. How many people are they counting on paying a premium to play nicer looking Halo and Forza?
I suppose the same amount that purchased a PS4 Pro to have a nicer looking version of Uncharted?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2017, 10:57 AM   #4631
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suppose the same amount that purchased a PS4 Pro to have a nicer looking version of Uncharted?
Which I'm guessing was not a lot, either.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 10:59 AM   #4632
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Which I'm guessing was not a lot, either.
No idea what PS4 Pro sales are at but I have one and will get the Scorpio so I suppose I am one of those people.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:53 AM   #4633
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The console is most likely going to be marketed as a premium console. It's for those consumers that always want the best version of the game. I don't have a Xbox One but I'm most likely going to get the Scorpio unless it's really expensive. If I do get the Scorpio, it would be the place I play most of the non-exclusive 3rd party games.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #4634
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The console is most likely going to be marketed as a premium console. It's for those consumers that always want the best version of the game. I don't have a Xbox One but I'm most likely going to get the Scorpio unless it's really expensive. If I do get the Scorpio, it would be the place I play most of the non-exclusive 3rd party games.
It should be the closest console to PC to date in regards to raw power and capability. Some of the latest PS4 Pro games in 4K stack up fairly well against PC and this should be even better. If you only have a 1080p TV I don't know if it will be worth the premium as outside of high framerates and spruced up effects games aren't going to look markedly better than current PS4 or XB1 games. If you have a 4K TV with HDR it's a no brainer for the 4K Blu-ray ability and prettiest console games to date. I'm hoping that this will be powerful enough to avoid the compromised trend with PS4 Pro games where you have to choose in the settings between optimal performance or highest resolution. I don't know what's in the pipeline for games but Microsoft really does need an exclusive that can sell systems and it's been a while since they released a really good new IP.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #4635
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps you haven't had a chance to read the articles but all games that currently play on the xbox one will look or perform better, including backwards compatible 360 games. So there will be no leaving behind on either platform. if you have a game that plays on xbox one, it will be better on scorpio. if you are invested in the ps4 and are happy, then people won't spend the premium on scorpio and won't move to the xbox platform.

it does make me wonder though if people that went from the 360 to ps4 and kept their 360 games will buy a scorpio if they kept their old library.

The thing that was interesting to me was that the games that were capped at 900p to keep a high frame rate will take the biggest advantage of the new hardware, because the graphics can now be rendered at a higher resolution with the likely upgrade in frame rates. of course, this ignores the rants previously in this thread where it was all 1080p creams 900p, which isn't the same as 1080p to 4k.

I'm thinking that if you have a 4k TV, the xbox scorpio enters your thoughts where perhaps xbox one didn't.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #4636
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
Perhaps you haven't had a chance to read the articles but all games that currently play on the xbox one will look or perform better, including backwards compatible 360 games. So there will be no leaving behind on either platform. if you have a game that plays on xbox one, it will be better on scorpio. if you are invested in the ps4 and are happy, then people won't spend the premium on scorpio and won't move to the xbox platform.

it does make me wonder though if people that went from the 360 to ps4 and kept their 360 games will buy a scorpio if they kept their old library.

The thing that was interesting to me was that the games that were capped at 900p to keep a high frame rate will take the biggest advantage of the new hardware, because the graphics can now be rendered at a higher resolution with the likely upgrade in frame rates. of course, this ignores the rants previously in this thread where it was all 1080p creams 900p, which isn't the same as 1080p to 4k.

I'm thinking that if you have a 4k TV, the xbox scorpio enters your thoughts where perhaps xbox one didn't.
I think MS is putting a ton of effort in here to ensure they don't lose the fanboy war. As it stands that machine is a monster, and really could make some beautiful games even in comparison to the Pro. I'd garner they have a few cards left to show whilst PS has shown many of theirs. Love that both are gearing up...great for gamers!
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #4637
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For the extra cost which isn't that much considering controllers are over $100 right now I would go with the upgraded version of both consoles.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:06 AM   #4638
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like it'll be great hardware, but MS really needs some fresh new exclusives for people to get excited about.

I recently switched over to PS4 because their exclusive lineup is so strong, even though Xbox is my preferred platform in many ways. If they can announce even a couple of good looking single player exclusive games I'll be easily sold on Scorpio. Otherwise I'm not sure I'll bother spending the money, even for the greater visual fidelity.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #4639
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

So probably $500 USD for holiday 2017 then?

$675-$700 CDN is going to be rough.

With their PC commitment to bring all their first party (exclusive) games to PC, not sure it makes much sense for me with the 1080 Ti (or even my old 980 for that matter) running with better performance.

By the time it finally releases, the 1080 Ti hype will die down and we'll already be talking about the incoming 1180's probably.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #4640
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
So probably $500 USD for holiday 2017 then?

$675-$700 CDN is going to be rough.

With their PC commitment to bring all their first party (exclusive) games to PC, not sure it makes much sense for me with the 1080 Ti (or even my old 980 for that matter) running with better performance.

By the time it finally releases, the 1080 Ti hype will die down and we'll already be talking about the incoming 1180's probably.
I doubt you're there target audience.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ignite09 For This Useful Post: