Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2017, 10:43 AM   #861
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I've gotten a bit of mileage out of Snipperclips as a hilarious drinking game.
We've played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo more than the full version of Snipperclips. I would go so far to say PuyoTetris is a must buy - great mashup of two fun puzzle games and good multiplayer fun. Hard dropping in Tetris mode on the tiny joy-cons was surprisingly good. I guess the only thing that would stop some people is the cutesy aesthetic of the game.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 10:48 AM   #862
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
We've played the Puyo Puyo Tetris demo more than the full version of Snipperclips. I would go so far to say PuyoTetris is a must buy - great mashup of two fun puzzle games and good multiplayer fun. Hard dropping in Tetris mode on the tiny joy-cons was surprisingly good. I guess the only thing that would stop some people is the cutesy aesthetic of the game.
Yeah I've enjoyed it, but my wife dislikes Tetris a lot.

Snipperclips 4-player soccer/pong/whatever mode + gets scored on > take a shot is a good interlude to a night of Jackbox.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:26 AM   #863
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Has anyone used a non-Nintendo power source to charge or play the Switch? I'm thinking ahead to summer travels, and the Switch will likely be coming with us. I'd like to keep the wall wart and dock at home.

The AC adapter that comes with the Switch is 15v/2.6A/39w. From what I have read, much of that power is used for the higher resolution when playing docked and powering the dock's USB ports.

My handy little 4-port USB charger (Amazon link) delivers 2.4A per port, but at 5 volts instead of 15, and works great for phones, tablets, and other USB devices. I have little doubt that this will charge my Switch, although it seems that it may not provide enough juice to charge and play at the same time. That's fine - my sessions are never going to exceed a charge.

Are there any precautions, considerations, or recommendations about using my 5 volt charger? Is it safe for the battery and device? Aside from a slower charging rate, are there any downsides? I don't have a USB-C cable yet to test as I have no other USB-C devices.
When looking for a USB-C cable, make sure you get a decent one. A Google engineer has been testing many of what's on Amazon, and in once case, a cable fried his laptop.

Otherwise, you should be fine. USB, by specification, is actually rated at 5V, regardless of what the brick itself might theoretically do (hooray for standards!). It's the amperage that will impact charging speed, and it seems your brick is close enough.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #864
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
When looking for a USB-C cable, make sure you get a decent one. A Google engineer has been testing many of what's on Amazon, and in once case, a cable fried his laptop.

Otherwise, you should be fine. USB, by specification, is actually rated at 5V, regardless of what the brick itself might theoretically do (hooray for standards!). It's the amperage that will impact charging speed, and it seems your brick is close enough.
Thank you. Great advice about the USB-C cables. I went down a brief rabbit hole reading about this, and USB-C is a standards nightmare. I had no idea it was that messy.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:10 PM   #865
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Thank you. Great advice about the USB-C cables. I went down a brief rabbit hole reading about this, and USB-C is a standards nightmare. I had no idea it was that messy.

I just picked up a standard USB C wall charger from Belkin and it's been doing the trick
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #866
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Kilton gives out a Medal of Honor for killing all of each of the sub-bosses. One for all the Moldugas, one for all the Talus(es?), and one for all the Hinox(ii?). The first one isn't so bad, there's 4 I guess, but there's 40 of each of the others!

Sorry all you Hinox, I wanted to leave you alone, but...
Old 04-20-2017, 06:30 AM   #867
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Screen protector never did arrive. Got a refund and re-ordered from Amazon Prime.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #868
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If anyone missed out on the deluxe Zelda BOTW guide when it sold out its back up on amazon for a discounted price. Of course this after i get gouged on eBay for one🙁

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Deluxe Edition: The Complete Official Guide https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1911015214/..._xxp-ybEYSNJ4C
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #869
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, obviously awesome.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switc...-kart-8-deluxe

Out next week. If you didn't have it on Wii U, it's a must-play. Heck, I did play it on Wii U and I'm still getting it. New battle mode looks awesome, plus it's portable!
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:16 PM   #870
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a note that if you have Prime, like all other pre-orders, you get 20% off (64$ CDN). Can't wait for mario kart 8. Pretty great that you only need two Switch controllers for 4-player too.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #871
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
However, with limited offerings for Mario Kart veterans who shelled out nearly $100 on the last experience, the title will be significantly less rewarding.
Kind of sums it up for me there. Not that I have a Switch but something like this makes me less inclined to purchase the console/game.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #872
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

64 bucks for a battle mode with 8 arenas and 5 battle games + MK8 again is more than worth it for me.

Quote:
Old 04-20-2017, 01:37 PM   #873
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Of course this after i get gouged on eBay for one��
Shoot, sorry to hear man. They said they were going to print a few more.

https://twitter.com/PiggybackGuides/...26898232926208

It's awesome but almost comically huge.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 04:54 PM   #874
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
64 bucks for a battle mode with 8 arenas and 5 battle games + MK8 again is more than worth it for me.
$36 is even better. Y'all should have taken advantage of EB Games' double credit promotion when it was active.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #875
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone had the "left joy-con sync issue" yet? I bought a new pair of joy-cons in anticipation of Mario Kart, and lucky me! It has happened to me a few times in the past week. I never experienced it with the original ones that came with the system in 1.5 months of play.

Nintendo has basically said that it is a hardware issue that has been fixed on newer ones coming out of the factory. They also say that you can send it in and have it "repaired" promptly for free, and based on some sources online, that consists of putting a tiny piece of foam near the internal antenna.

I'll just return it to EB Games and let them deal with it and order a new one on Prime (which will hopefully be the newer version).

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 04-21-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:45 AM   #876
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm thinking about getting a switch so I can play it on the plane when I go to Europe this summer. Has anyone travelled with it yet, and can comment on how it performs? I was thinking Nintendo 3DS might be better for travel. But the thought of the new Zelda on a plane excites me.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:55 AM   #877
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got 3 hours battery out of mine flying to California last week. Most planes have plugs in the seats now, which you can take from the dock for travel and basically play the entire time. Highly recommend.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:21 PM   #878
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'm thinking about getting a switch so I can play it on the plane when I go to Europe this summer. Has anyone travelled with it yet, and can comment on how it performs? I was thinking Nintendo 3DS might be better for travel. But the thought of the new Zelda on a plane excites me.
Some airlines are starting to ban the use of larger electronic devices out of an overabundance of paranoia. So far as I know, the Switch is not included in that, but just something to be aware of.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #879
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Some airlines are starting to ban the use of larger electronic devices out of an overabundance of paranoia. So far as I know, the Switch is not included in that, but just something to be aware of.
Are you referring to the ban for electronics on planes from very specific countries going to the US, or something broader? This would be the first I would have heard about the latter.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:58 PM   #880
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It was actually the UK that did it first, but yes, the originating countries are rather specific and don't include Canada. We all know how paranoia coupled with security theatre gets out of control, however.