Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #21
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Is that the one with complimentary Hookers and Blow? John Terry ought to be a CP regular....
who knows what he throws in to it, but for 10k it better be worth it

Quote:
he was exposed for organising a secret tour of Chelsea’s training ground, apparently in exchange for a £10,000 cash payment that was made in the staff canteen while manager Carlo Ancelotti was dining at a nearby table.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #22
Jagger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I'll be at my one and only Arsenal match this season watching my Liverpool mate crying his eyes out. As bad as it is at Arsenal, we can count on Liverpool to provide the laughs.
You must be confusing the Liverpool club run by the Tom & George circus and ably carried on by Woy's management. Liverpool were much more effective under Dalglish.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:57 PM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
I'll be at my one and only Arsenal match this season watching my Liverpool mate crying his eyes out. As bad as it is at Arsenal, we can count on Liverpool to provide the laughs.
Haha, okay then, lets see, who were buyers this season and who were sellers?

As for laughs, I'm still laughing about the whole Fabregas saga, endless entertainment. Did you know hes injured now so he cant be cup tied? Crazy thing that....

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-08-2011, 10:16 AM   #24
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
was it the John Terry platinum package tour?
If I had that money to throw around I probably would have been test driving the Koenigsegg I saw for sale over at Piccadilly Circus.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #25
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagger View Post
Liverpool were much more effective under Dalglish.
Oh yes, the Great Hapless Drunk... I mean Saviour of Merseyside.

You have to admit, the man does look like a hobo they picked up from the gutter and put in a suit.

Quote:
Haha, okay then, lets see, who were buyers this season and who were sellers?
That's right, you went and splashed the cashed paying insane fees for British players yet somehow it's different then when City pays ridiculous fees and wages for their lot. Talk about bucket of laughs...
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 08-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #26
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post

You have to admit, the man does look like a hobo they picked up from the gutter and put in a suit.

That's right, you went and splashed the cashed paying insane fees for British players yet somehow it's different then when City pays ridiculous fees and wages for their lot. Talk about bucket of laughs...
If they falter this year I wonder what the great whine will be? Gone will be the "we had no money" (despite stats to the contrary under Rafa). Can't turn on Kenny...can they? I just hope that they continue their fine preseason form into the League....
The Following User Says Thank You to SeoulFire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 11:37 AM   #27
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don't forget that the schedule makers are always against them, as are the officials.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #28
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post

You're just bitter because he told Wenger off after that match.

As for 'insane fees.' Well, theres truth to that, I'm personally not the happiest about the off season purchases, not all of them anyways, but in the end we'll just have to wait and see how it all plays out. If the performances dont improve and it just doesnt work then we'll have to hope that theres another man with a plan out there.

For the moment though, I think Kenny's going to surprise us all this season. He sure surprised Chelsea, United and City at the end of last season.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #29
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

still think they lack a back 4 or an elite midfield to make a push for top 4

great up top and likely on the wings

but Lucas/Adam isn't up to par with the teams around them

and I like both of them, but if that is your CM you need a great back 4 to compete at that level in my opinion
Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
still think they lack a back 4 or an elite midfield to make a push for top 4

great up top and likely on the wings

but Lucas/Adam isn't up to par with the teams around them

and I like both of them, but if that is your CM you need a great back 4 to compete at that level in my opinion
I agree. Despite the signings this summer in my opinion Liverpool are at best a wildcard for the top 4.

That being said, I dont think Arsenal supporters should be running their mouths seeing as how they've brought in almost no one and done nothing to address their needs of a goaltender or shoring up their horrible defence.

Further, they are also on the verge of losing their two best players in Nasri and Fabregas. How are they expecting to do better than last season? Particularly against Liverpool, against whom they managed only two 1-1 draws. Even Chelsea and United capitalized on a Woy-led Liverpool to get their wins against them last season.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:59 PM   #31
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

all the games in London may be canceled this weekend because of the riots, with so many games it would stretch the police force pretty thin

They need to announce it by thursday so I would expect if nothing happens tomorrow than it will go ahead
Old 08-08-2011, 10:06 PM   #32
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
all the games in London may be canceled this weekend because of the riots, with so many games it would stretch the police force pretty thin

They need to announce it by thursday so I would expect if nothing happens tomorrow than it will go ahead
I was wondering what that might mean for the fixtures this weekend. Things have really gone wild, and with some sparks also starting to fly in Birmingham, it may not be limited to the London clubs.

My feeling is, it is still quite a few days off and it should be settled down by then, but one never knows.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:08 PM   #33
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
That being said, I dont think Arsenal supporters should be running their mouths seeing as how they've brought in almost no one and done nothing to address their needs of a goaltender or shoring up their horrible defence.
Have you checked out the Arsenal thread? The only thing we are close to running is Wegner out of North London.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Old 08-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #34
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
If they falter this year I wonder what the great whine will be? Gone will be the "we had no money" (despite stats to the contrary under Rafa). Can't turn on Kenny...can they? I just hope that they continue their fine preseason form into the League....
Let's cross that bridge when (or if, rather) we get there.

Regarding Rafa's spending, let it go. Just because Hicks and Gillet claimed, they spent 300 million pounds on players, doesn't mean it's true. Lying was sort of their game.

http://www.liverpool-kop.com/2010/10...d-figures.html

Not only did they not even spend 200 million, the net spend was under 30. The last 2 years yielded consecutive NEGATIVE net spends, and the year before Rafa had to MAKE money 2 summers in a row, we placed second. Following that, the team's performance dropped. Not an excuse, it's just what happened.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wayne Rooney in Fifa 11/Fifa 12

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM   #36
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ They were being quite kind to his hairline in '11 with that little smudge.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #37
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

agreed, I was expecting him to come out looking like David Luiz but he looks no different to me
Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #38
SeoulFire
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nuje,

Lies and statistic - it is all a matter of which set fits your agenda. It seems as though half of the articles out there discredit the claim while the other half support it.

I really don't care one way or another - I just find the excuses amusing.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:06 PM   #39
Nuje
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeoulFire View Post
Nuje,

Lies and statistic - it is all a matter of which set fits your agenda. It seems as though half of the articles out there discredit the claim while the other half support it.

I really don't care one way or another - I just find the excuses amusing.
Fair enough. I was going to help you understand it some more, but if the actual math isn't enough to convince you then I guess you won't be swayed. Sorta gives me the feeling that any comment you have regarding Liverpool FC serves only to provoke their fans, rather than have a conversation about football, or football-related finances.

What amuses me is that because Alex Ferguson asserted that Rafa at one point had spent 24 million pounds more than Ferguson over a 5 year span, some people (mostly United fans) believed it without researching it in any way.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #40
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

HAHAHA classic. In before Ronaldo skews numbers again.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
Closed Thread