Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #261
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Not to downplay the status of those 2 guys, but just look back at the teammates they had. I've posted on here before the number of HOF teammates Yzerman had when he won his first cup. Its actually laughable how much support those guys had throughout their careers compared to Iginla. Who knows what could've been had the Flames actually been able to build a great team around Iginla. They never did it.
Sakic wasn't playing with superstars his last few seasons. The last time I watched him play, in his final season, he was the best skater on the ice on both sides of the puck.

Iginla will be regarded in posterity as a Shanahan/Sundin stature player, not Sakic/Yzerman.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:04 PM   #262
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

even if he is only regarded as a Shanahan / Sundin type player, first of all, that's still pretty amazing and special. Second of all, that's completely subjective in my view and totally up for debate.

I think he does risk losing goodwill by sticking around and making sure this franchise plummets into eternal despair just so he can have some kind of 'play for only 1 team' BS legacy. It's selfish, and not what a true captain would do.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:25 PM   #263
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
even if he is only regarded as a Shanahan / Sundin type player, first of all, that's still pretty amazing and special. Second of all, that's completely subjective in my view and totally up for debate.

I think he does risk losing goodwill by sticking around and making sure this franchise plummets into eternal despair just so he can have some kind of 'play for only 1 team' BS legacy. It's selfish, and not what a true captain would do.

I disagree only on the basis of family. Iggy can stay here if he wants but he shouldn't expect to challenge for the cup for several years if at all for the rest of his career. Why would Iggy sticking around ensure that this franchise plummets into eternal despair?
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #264
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post

I disagree only on the basis of family. Iggy can stay here if he wants but he shouldn't expect to challenge for the cup for several years if at all for the rest of his career. Why would Iggy sticking around ensure that this franchise plummets into eternal despair?
I think a worst case scenario was presented by Captain Obvious, that Iginla should be overpaid his last few years to compensate him for being underpaid in the last term of his contract. (or was it to financially compensate him for not having a "1st line center" ?)
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #265
1stLand
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

we should be concerned about getting a First Line Center to play with Hudler or Baerstchi.

Iginla is so yesterday
1stLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #266
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Because of his impact on the culture of this team. And it will only get worse.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #267
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
we should be concerned about getting a First Line Center to play with Hudler or Baerstchi.

Iginla is so yesterday
Lets first try and get them a center first, rather then a 4th line winger (who is their current center right now).
Old 02-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #268
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phanuthier's reasoning makes sense.

This notion that Iggy is bad in the room or a cancer on this team is ridiculous.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #269
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Phanuthier's reasoning makes sense.

This notion that Iggy is bad in the room or a cancer on this team is ridiculous.
haha! No for sure, the culture on this team is terrific. Good call.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:53 PM   #270
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

If the rumour of Stastny being available last year was true, thats who we should have grabbed.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:57 PM   #271
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iggy is 100% responsible for the culture of the team and the 22 other guys on the active roster and is also 100% accountable for how the team performs. I didn't realize he was coach of the team.

People need to stop expecting him to carry this team on his back. The guy is 35 he shouldn't be the #1 offesnive weapon. It is not his fault management over the years has ben unable to get a successor to the franchise that Iggy could pass the torch to.

Outside of the Phoneix game this team has brought effort every single game, they are built soft, and have no centers. Iggy is the one that has to fight a 3rd liner when the goalie is run? He shouldn't have to do it all anymore and should be a complimentary player not the focal point. That is the reason he should be traded not because he is horrible in the room or a terrible leader as some people try to argue. Some people expect too much from him at this stage in his career.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #272
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Iggy is 100% responsible for the culture of the team and the 22 other guys on the active roster and is also 100% accountable for how the team performs. I didn't realize he was coach of the team.

People need to stop expecting him to carry this team on his back. The guy is 35 he shouldn't be the #1 offesnive weapon. It is not his fault management over the years has ben unable to get a successor to the franchise that Iggy could pass the torch to.

Outside of the Phoneix game this team has brought effort every single game, they are built soft, and have no centers. Iggy is the one that has to fight a 3rd liner when the goalie is run? He shouldn't have to do it all anymore and should be a complimentary player not the focal point. That is the reason he should be traded not because he is horrible in the room or a terrible leader as some people try to argue. Some people expect too much from him at this stage in his career.
I completely agree with this. I do think however that the current management have made some great picks in the draft the last two years and I hope that they can stick to this pattern of drafting skill. The tough, power forward types are hard to come by, but so far I like the direction Feaster and crew are taking.

This will take patience. Hopefully we all it. I hate to see him go but I think right now we aren't worse off if he is gone this season.

If we can resign him for like 3 to 4 mill for 3 more seasons, I would be happy to keep him.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #273
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
If the rumour of Stastny being available last year was true, thats who we should have grabbed.
His play has really fallen off - and I don't think his worth his contract.
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:11 PM   #274
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Who is responsible for the culture of this team, the head coach? The Flames have tried 4 of those and the culture seems the same. The culture seems the same regardless of who plays on the team as well. I am confused as to what you think the captain does, what function the captain performs on a hockey team.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #275
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Who is responsible for the culture of this team, the head coach? The Flames have tried 4 of those and the culture seems the same. The culture seems the same regardless of who plays on the team as well. I am confused as to what you think the captain does, what function the captain performs on a hockey team.
The head coach is the primary person in charge of the teams culture which I define as how the team plays. The captain is not without accountability however. It has been stated time and time again Iggy is not a vocal leader he is a lead by example type that always comes prepared, sticks up for his teammates and remains positive. Is he the best leader in the game today? I don't think so but I also think it is unreasonable to have the same expectations on him at 35 that most had at 28. I am not trying to be an Iggy apologist here but the hate and disrespect some fans show irks me and that is when I feel it is time to come to his defense. The weight mangement, the fans, the city put on his shoulders at this stage is unrealistic. I truly want him moved there is nothing more to accomplish at this stage with the flames. We need to move on and so does he
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #276
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why dont you tell us?

Obviously there is a segment of fans that feel Iginla is not fit to be the captain. If we agree that is true (I don't), who on the team has the skillset to provide this function? Why haven't they emerged as a leader yet if Iginla is such a poor one?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #277
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

While i agree the organization is to blame for not having a successor, Iggy negotiated and signed a contract that pays him $7 million a season until the end of this year. At $7 million a season Iggy is counted on being one of if not the top forward on the ice 95% of the time. He has not been the top forward this year in any more than 3-4 games. It does not matter how good or bad the players are around him, he still needs to be one of the top performers night in and night out and that includes this year.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #278
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Why dont you tell us?

Obviously there is a segment of fans that feel Iginla is not fit to be the captain. If we agree that is true (I don't), who on the team has the skillset to provide this function? Why haven't they emerged as a leader yet if Iginla is such a poor one?
Is that a serious question? They had a player who displayed some leadership qualities, he was moved out. Fact is that nobody is going to emerge as a leader to challenge the guy who has been the leader for 14 years. That just does not happen.

All I can say is that this team has had the same culture, regardless of whether they had a top 10 team in the league roster or a bottom 10 team in the league roster or something in between. Players come and go and the culture and the way the team plays remains the same. That is all I know. The idea that the Flames are good one night and awful the next is not a Bob Hartley coached team phenomenon, this has been how this team has played since 2006/2007. And the captain has always been a player who comes prepared for some games and just takes some nights off, or a lot of nights off depending on the season.

Last edited by EddyBeers; 02-22-2013 at 04:36 PM.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #279
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that a serious question? They had a player who displayed some leadership qualities, he was moved out. Fact is that nobody is going to emerge as a leader to challenge the guy who has been the leader for 14 years. That just does not happen.

All I can say is that this team has had the same culture, regardless of whether they had a top 10 team in the league roster or a bottom 10 team in the league roster or something in between. Players come and go and the culture and the way the team plays remains the same. That is all I know. The idea that the Flames are good one night and awful the next is not a Bob Hartley coached team phenomenon, this has been how this team has played since 2006/2007. And the captain has always been a player who comes prepared for some games and just takes some nights off, or a lot of nights off depending on the season.
Fact is no one has been capable of it. Its not like someone has to challenge Iginla to a fight and rip the C of his jersey in order to become the new leader. If someone else has the capability to lead the team they should start doing it. Start taking over games on the ice. Start making an impact, start carrying the team on their shoulders. The way Iginla did when he became captain. It has nothing to do with longevity and everything to do capability. No one on this team has shown they are fit to take over captaincy yet. I'd love to see it.

As far as Phaneuf goes I'm not sure many people regret the fact that he didn't become our captain. And the bottom line is, even if Phaneuf was going to be the new captain, its not Iginla's fault he got moved. That was a management decision. And if Iginla was such a cancerous captain wouldn't they have dealt him by now?

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #280
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I know is that this year it's fun to follow the team and what's going on more than it is to actually watch the games.

This franchise is like a soap opera, it's like things are being done or not being done just for the drama it's causing. Maybe that's King's plan for the year!