Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Can a child get expelled from public school?

Ok. Another ignorant question from me (if being in Canada for less than 6 years, is an excuse, please take it. btw, I'm humbled and honoured to be a new Canadian).

Background.
My wife volunteers at our community elementary, and there is one kid (in grade 1) who has no respect for faculty or classmates. He is verbally and physically abusive, and if he does not like something, he will simply walk out of the classroom. He has been sent to the office several times, and my wife was telling me last night, that yesterday he got sent home.

My question.
Can a child be expelled from public elementary school?
If so, where do they go?
Will the school board take him at another school? (this school is a Catholic school board school)
Also, can they flunk 1st grade?

Thanks, and again, my apologies for my ignorance.

Last edited by jeffporfirio; 05-03-2017 at 02:39 PM.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It's possible but it'd be rare for a child of that age to be expelled. It happens all the time in the high school though but that's usually for more severe problems (i.e. drugs or weapons).

They would likely be assigned a support worker to try to address these problems one-on-one.

If it's consistent enough and he's being sent home regularly he'll be moved to another school.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:38 PM   #3
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

I read the thread too quickly and read it as "Can I get a child expelled from public school" and thought, "Uh, that doesn't sound like a great idea..."
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #4
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
I read the thread too quickly and read it as "Can I get a child expelled from public school" and thought, "Uh, that doesn't sound like a great idea..."
fixed..
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's possible but it'd be rare for a child of that age to be expelled. It happens all the time in the high school though but that's usually for more severe problems (i.e. drugs or weapons).

They would likely be assigned a support worker to try to address these problems one-on-one.

If it's consistent enough and he's being sent home regularly he'll be moved to another school.
It does happen. We have a family friend whose kid was bounced from his school pretty much every year. He has some behavioral issues and the school board finally found a suitable school for him which can specifically deal with his needs.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Expelled seems an overreaction, giving up on a kid in grade 1? I doubt the kid is just a broken human and needs to be removed from school.

Chances are that there's things going on that are leading to the behaviour, and the school should be working with the parents and support teachers and stuff to improve the situation, not just eject the kid.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #7
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

There are programs for children with special behavioral needs.

Ex.
http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b204/cssi.htm
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/suppor...s/default.aspx
http://www.cbe.ab.ca/programs/suppor...ehavioral.aspx
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:27 PM   #9
Mathalete
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Different laws everywhere, but I teach at a high school in Manitoba. And our entire school division will expel a kid (they won't be allowed to attend any of our schools) if the behaviour is bad enough.

Since I teach at a residential school, we deal with the child 24/7. We may part ways with a student if they are a harm to themselves, pose a threat to others, have uncontrollable drinking or drug problems, selling drugs, etc.

Even if a child commits a crime, we often give many chances before resorting to that sort of severe consequence.

A child that young probably has some significant issues that may explain that behaviour. Hopefully, someone can find the child some help and support.
Mathalete is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mathalete For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #10
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thanks for all your answers.

From what I've heard from my wife, the child seems like he has never been disciplined (opinion) and has complete disregard for authority or consequences.

I know it is a young age, and there is only so much teachers and administrators can do in regards to disciplining and teaching a child consequences, especially a child that is defiant (he leaves the classroom or principal's office and heads for the school door). I don't know the family situation, but I feel sorry for the teachers who may have their hands tied in a situation like this.
Old 05-03-2017, 05:08 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it Jizanthupus?

NSFW!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:16 PM   #12
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was expelled in the 3rd grade, for behavioural problems (swearing and being generally disruptive, no fighting or anything). So it isn't something unheard of but that was also many years ago.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 07:24 AM   #13
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a couple of students at our school who are severe behaviour cases and flight risks, both in grade 1. Expulsion is extreme and an absolute last resort. We've worked really hard with the parents to make things better for everyone, but every single day these kids basically need 1 on 1 constant supervision at close proximity.

In one case it's definitely a diagnosed medical issue. The other one is unclear.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2017, 11:22 AM   #14
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I was expelled in the 3rd grade, for behavioural problems (swearing and being generally disruptive, no fighting or anything). So it isn't something unheard of but that was also many years ago.
I remember expulsions happening when I was a kid for sure. I attended at 2 different elementary schools, and it seemed like a kid from each year got expelled at some point.

Typically the kids would get shuffled to other schools though after a calming after period.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #15
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I remember expulsions happening when I was a kid for sure. I attended at 2 different elementary schools, and it seemed like a kid from each year got expelled at some point.

Typically the kids would get shuffled to other schools though after a calming after period.
Yeah, they didn't have a choice at that age really since it is illegal for the child not to be enrolled in some form of school and back then homeschooling wasn't really a thing. I was shipped off to the next closest school in the same school district after a couple weeks off. It didn't make me swear less or less disruptive.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 02:46 PM   #16
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Growing up in the deep south in the late 80's I think they shuffled all the expelled kids to one school. At least that was the rumor because they all surfaced again at David Thompson. That was the saying, if you get kicked out you go to Thompson. Or when Thompson kids showed up at our school there was mild to severe panic.

Probably an urban myth, but it was funny to see how kids rationalize these things. Along with what the strap looks like, has anyone actually seen that?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #17
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Growing up in the deep south in the late 80's I think they shuffled all the expelled kids to one school. At least that was the rumor because they all surfaced again at David Thompson. That was the saying, if you get kicked out you go to Thompson. Or when Thompson kids showed up at our school there was mild to severe panic.

Probably an urban myth, but it was funny to see how kids rationalize these things. Along with what the strap looks like, has anyone actually seen that?
I can indeed verify "the strap" is no urban myth, at least when I went to public school!

Last edited by Buzzard; 05-06-2017 at 06:37 PM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Growing up in the deep south in the late 80's I think they shuffled all the expelled kids to one school. At least that was the rumor because they all surfaced again at David Thompson.
In the 80's - if you got tossed out from the Public board, if they were rich they all ended up at Rundle College.

Which is why I have a hard time considering them an "elite" school today, despite all their marketing.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote