Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-25-2011, 01:59 PM   #241
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Ir kit is still great thinking about upgrading to a newer harmony remote that has RF in it as well. If you want you can come swing by and see the screen in action before blindly purchasing one. For mounting to the roof because my joists screw me as well is I am building a bulk head so it looks like an air duct then it will just drop from behind it
Yeah the harmonies with RF are nice, it the $450 price tag that I don't like. I love harmony generally though, i am on my fourth now. I am just struggling with where I want to put the stuff, and therefore how it needs to be controlled. Thanks for the ideas though.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 02:52 PM   #242
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know exactly when think about upgrade I meant when I finish my basement I will upgrade. I will use it as is for now since it works
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #243
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I have a question that I can't seem to get an answer for anywhere - hopefully someone on this board has encountered/solved it.

I have a 2.1 speaker system on my TV. I use a PS3 to play movies and repeatedly encounter situations where the voices are low/muffled compared to other tracks. From what I can tell, this is related to everything being mixed to 5.1 and up with the voices mixed to the center channel (which I don't have).

I've toyed around with the settings on the PS3 but haven't been able to even it all out - am I going to have to buy a receiver to fix this issue? I'd rather not - don't need yet another piece of electronics attached to my TV (pretty sure I'm pushing the limit on the circuit already )
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #244
cal_guy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama64 View Post
So I have a question that I can't seem to get an answer for anywhere - hopefully someone on this board has encountered/solved it.

I have a 2.1 speaker system on my TV. I use a PS3 to play movies and repeatedly encounter situations where the voices are low/muffled compared to other tracks. From what I can tell, this is related to everything being mixed to 5.1 and up with the voices mixed to the center channel (which I don't have).

I've toyed around with the settings on the PS3 but haven't been able to even it all out - am I going to have to buy a receiver to fix this issue? I'd rather not - don't need yet another piece of electronics attached to my TV (pretty sure I'm pushing the limit on the circuit already )
How do you connect your speakers to your PS3?
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #245
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

How is your PS3 connected to your TV? In your PS3 audio settings you should be able to confirm what output is used. You should be able to set it to output PCM instead of 5.1.

If that is in fact the problem. It is possible it is a connectivity issue if you're using a crappy connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal_guy View Post
How do you connect your speakers to your PS3?
I don't think there are independent speakers, if I'm understanding his post correctly, just the TV speakers.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2011, 10:19 PM   #246
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm using the Bose Cinemax II system which is a 2.1 setup - don't quite have the room for a real system and this sounded the best to me (opposed to a soundbar).

PS3 is connected to the TV (Sony Bravia) via HDMI cable, speaker connected to the TV via optical cable.

I set the PS3 to "automatic" for sound which picked Dolby Digital 5.1 and a couple others, PCM I think. I looked through the manual list and that appears to be the proper settings (according the Bose manual, Dolby Digital 5.1 is recommended).

TV audio mode is set to "Standard" - alternate choices are Dynamic and Clear Voice - but neither sounds very good at all.

Thanks for the help

Last edited by llama64; 07-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:47 PM   #247
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm using the Bose Cinemax II system which is a 2.1 setup - don't quite have the room for a real system and this sounded the best to me (opposed to a soundbar).

PS3 is connected to the TV (Sony Bravia) via HDMI cable, speaker connected to the TV via optical cable.

I set the PS3 to "automatic" for sound which picked Dolby Digital 5.1 and a couple others, PCM I think. I looked through the manual list and that appears to be the proper settings (according the Bose manual, Dolby Digital 5.1 is recommended).

TV audio mode is set to "Standard" - alternate choices are Dynamic and Clear Voice - but neither sounds very good at all.

Thanks for the help
Something to try is connecting your PS3 directly to your Bose via optical cable. If this works better, and you have another digital input into your Bose for the TV, problem should be solved. A lot of TVs don't send DD 5.1 out via optical, except from OTA signals. If you don't have another digital input into your Bose, you can can get a toslink switch from Monoprice, something like this.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #248
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Something to try is connecting your PS3 directly to your Bose via optical cable. If this works better, and you have another digital input into your Bose for the TV, problem should be solved. A lot of TVs don't send DD 5.1 out via optical, except from OTA signals.
This. I encountered a similar situation recently:

I just helped my dad rig up his Kenwood 5.1 receiver this weekend, and since the receiver doesn't have HDMI inputs, we had to send everything through the TV first, then use the optical output to send audio to the receiver. Everything went rather swimmingly until we tried to use the Xbox 360. The 360 goes into the TV with HDMI, but the audio isn't being sent to the receiver by the TV. The solution is to send the audio directly from the console to the receiver. In our instance, we kept the HDMI running to the TV (a Sharp Aquos 37") and used the HD-AV connector for the console to run just the optical audio. Problem solved. Similarly, with the PS3, you want to send the HDMI to the display and have an optical cable from the console go directly to your audio playback device.

My home setup:
Receiver: Yamaha HTR-6250 (7.1 Channel HDMI-ready receiver, 90W x 7)
Display: Samsung 52" 1080p 120 Hz (6-series)
Speakers:
Center - Sinclair Audio Sculptura AVC
Fronts - Sinclair Audio Sculptura AV4 Towers
Satellites - Sinclair Audio Brighton Cube Surround Speakers
Subwoofers - Sinclair Audio Sculptura AV10 and AV 6.3
Sources:
- Xbox 360 Non-HDMI Console (Component w/ Optical Audio)
- Playstation 3 (HDMI)
- Shaw Direct DSR-505 HD Satellite (Component w/ Digital Coax Audio)
- Windows 7 HTPC (HDMI, supports all DTS and Dolby Digital formats, plays HD-DVDs since I own six of them, and is IR-controlled)
Accessories:
- Logitech Harmony 720 Universal Remote (a Harmony remote is an absolute MUST for any home theatre owner, IMO. Amazing product.)
- Logitech Harmony PS3 Adapter
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #249
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Everything went rather swimmingly until we tried to use the Xbox 360. The 360 goes into the TV with HDMI, but the audio isn't being sent to the receiver by the TV.
Is there a separate setting for the audio output on the xbox like there is on the PS3? If so, is the audio set up to be outputted via HDMI?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:58 PM   #250
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Something to try is connecting your PS3 directly to your Bose via optical cable. If this works better, and you have another digital input into your Bose for the TV, problem should be solved. A lot of TVs don't send DD 5.1 out via optical, except from OTA signals. If you don't have another digital input into your Bose, you can can get a toslink switch from Monoprice, something like this.
This solution worked for me. Sound is outstanding too.
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:24 AM   #251
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Woohoo! My basement (and subsequently, my theater room) is started. So it's time to start looking at new gear, and of course, that comes with tons of questions.

Screens: Looking at the acoustic screens. Has anybody tried them? This one at Costco is a wall mount. How would one get a speaker in behind? I would imagine the screen sits fairly close to the wall. Mounting on the ceiling won't be an option for me, as I've decided to go with a paneled ceiling for ease of wiring.

Secondly, motorized screens. As neat as I think it is to have a screen controlled by my amp, is there really much of a point? Do you folks running projectors feel the need to retract the screen very often?

Projectors: What's good? Hoping to have the basement as dark as possible, but being a walkout with lots of windows, it may prove to be tough, so something that works well with a bit of ambient light is important. I'm up to speed enough on TV's, not on projectors. I know the Optomas were popular in this thread. Looking at the ones at Costco, is there actually a $2000 difference between the two?

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....CA&Sp=C&topnav=

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product....CA&Sp=C&topnav=

Wiring: Is there any loss of signal over a longer run of HDMI cable? Haven't measured, but I'd imagine I'd need 40 feet to go to my amp.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 07-21-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 AM   #252
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If you were going to put a speaker behind then you'd be putting in a recessed wall speaker, something like this. I think you're better off getting floor standing speakers, depending on how far away you are the screen might not be wide enough to get good stereo separation with the speakers behind the screen. That and I don't know if recessed ones sound as good.

Though a recessed centre channel right behind the screen would be kind of cool.

I have my screen mounted, not motorized, and I feel zero need to retract the screen, but my screen's in an open basement that serves as an entertainment area so the screen doesn't "impose on the decor". If it was in my living room, say, where it would look ugly then I might be more inclined to go with a motorized one.

For a long cable run like that, I'd probably suggest doing a conduit so you can pull new cable if you need to, you never know what the future holds. I have a 50' HDMI cable (from monoprice) I think and it works fine, HDMI is digital so it either works or it doesn't.. you'll know it isn't working, you'll either get sparkles all over the screen (indicating data loss), or it won't work at all. Mind you I'm at 720p, higher resolutions and colour depths require more data, but I've heard of people running that length ok.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 02:02 PM   #253
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Though a recessed centre channel right behind the screen would be kind of cool.
Sorry, I should have specified; only looking at getting the center channel behind the screen. Not looking at in wall speakers (I have a tendency to upgrade too often). Had I been thinking sooner I would have had a recessed shelf in the wall to set the speaker on. Damn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
I have my screen mounted, not motorized, and I feel zero need to retract the screen, but my screen's in an open basement that serves as an entertainment area so the screen doesn't "impose on the decor".
Good point on the decor. Its a dedicated entertainment area, so I guess there's really no point in the motorized screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon
For a long cable run like that, I'd probably suggest doing a conduit so you can pull new cable if you need to, you never know what the future holds.
Even with a suspended ceiling? I assumed that would eliminate the need for a conduit. Unless you were thinking for the wall. In which case I have a false wall over the outside wall which gives me all sorts of room to drop wires. Last place I was at had a conduit which was way to small. Managed to stuff it full pretty quick. I finally solved that problem after 2 attempts.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #254
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I bought an Optoma HD20 projector and I wanted to know either for now or future reference where's a good/cheap spot to buy replacement bulb(s) for it, it's about half way through it's useful life/hours at the moment.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #255
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oh yeah, suspended ceiling, not much point of a conduit.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:31 AM   #256
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Oh yeah, suspended ceiling, not much point of a conduit.
It will make all of your cords all neat and tidy I have a question about recievers. Are there any recievers that can take 2 feeds in and distribute them both out to different zones with them both playing at the same time?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #257
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I have a 50' HDMI cable running 1080p and there is no data loss.

I retract my screen never.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 08:58 AM   #258
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I retract my screen all the time because it is connected to my harmony remote! Hit on it comes down hit off it goes up. Adds a little something something to my setup.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:08 AM   #259
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

The pizazz factor on a retractable screen is pretty pimp for sure lol.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #260
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone have a good forum i could use to get started searching for a projector and planning a ManCave/home theatre . I am getting ready to build a house here and am putting a bonus room upstairs so I can watch sports in it. I wanted to put a projector in it to watch the Flames games. I will also have all my video gaming stuff there ( PS3 and Xbox360) . It will be 275-300 sq feet if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys