Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #181
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Changing the number online doesn't require ID or addresses. Locked Telus phones should work without any problems.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 PM   #182
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Yeah Telus/Koodo are the same, it'll work.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:50 PM   #183
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here is the path I followed to switch to Koodo. I had two lines with bell on a business plan to start, 1000minutes nationwide sharing 6gb data. For $157/month

1. Came on CP and requested someone to refer me - got a couple of responses. Used the referral code and we each get a $50 bill credit
2. Go to Best Buy buy a Koodo sim on cheapest plan ($25/month) asked for a sask number and the kid helping me tried but got an error when he tried to apply it. Ended up taking a random Alberta number.
3. Change phone number to random sask number. Registered referral code.
4. Made another referral for my wife, using a separate email. Used that referral code to double end the $50credit
5. Back to Best Buy and repeat step 2 and 3
6. Waited 7 days for billing cycle logged into first account and ported my number. Popped in my Koodo sim and Took about 25minutes for my phone to receive calls again, received a text from Koodo saying welcome to the network.
7. Repeat step 6 with wife's phone.
8. Sign both accounts up with pre authorized credit card payment

I ended up with two separate accounts but am saving $60/month plus the $150 in referral credit (which apparently take 3 weeks to appear)
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #184
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman View Post
Here is the path I followed to switch to Koodo. I had two lines with bell on a business plan to start, 1000minutes nationwide sharing 6gb data. For $157/month

1. Came on CP and requested someone to refer me - got a couple of responses. Used the referral code and we each get a $50 bill credit
2. Go to Best Buy buy a Koodo sim on cheapest plan ($25/month) asked for a sask number and the kid helping me tried but got an error when he tried to apply it. Ended up taking a random Alberta number.
3. Change phone number to random sask number. Registered referral code.
4. Made another referral for my wife, using a separate email. Used that referral code to double end the $50credit
5. Back to Best Buy and repeat step 2 and 3
6. Waited 7 days for billing cycle logged into first account and ported my number. Popped in my Koodo sim and Took about 25minutes for my phone to receive calls again, received a text from Koodo saying welcome to the network.
7. Repeat step 6 with wife's phone.
8. Sign both accounts up with pre authorized credit card payment

I ended up with two separate accounts but am saving $60/month plus the $150 in referral credit (which apparently take 3 weeks to appear)
Me thinks you forgot the step to change plan to Sask Unlimited plan before step 6.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:38 PM   #185
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hemi cuda sent referral thanks.

Last edited by chedder; 10-26-2016 at 05:03 PM. Reason: Got one
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 03:53 PM   #186
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is probably a dumb question but I'll ask anyways.....

My contract with Telus expired in June. I'd love to buy the new Google Pixel but no way I'm paying $550 AND paying $90/mnth for it.

Can I still do this under these circumstances?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 04:07 PM   #187
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

My contract with Telus expired in June. I'd love to buy the new Google Pixel but no way I'm paying $550 AND paying $90/mnth for it.

You could take a Tab with Koodo, which is a interest-free loan for between $360-$504 payable back over 24 months, while still ending up with the $48 plan (your monthly cost would be $63 or $69).
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #188
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Me thinks you forgot the step to change plan to Sask Unlimited plan before step 6.
Yeah... guess that was kind of an important step. I did the plan change and then ported in the bell number in the same step. So 6a?
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gasman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #189
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Dumb question...isn't Koodo/Telus going to get wise to this and start changing plans on you or something?
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:49 PM   #190
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Dumb question...isn't Koodo/Telus going to get wise to this and start changing plans on you or something?
It's not really in their best interest to do that. Anyone doing this will be a net-new user for Koodo, since you can't do the number porting part if you're already a Koodo subscriber (no idea if that also applies to Telus). So they're not losing any money, they're gaining new customers and extra revenue even if it's at a reduced rate. If they start changing plans on people then they will likely just leave and go back to whomever they were with before. The smart thing for them to do is to turn a blind eye to the small percentage of customers doing this
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 04:01 PM   #191
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Myself, I wouldn't risk going on a tab. Part of this is about flying under the radar, and by putting this onto a tab you are really going against that. Plus if you are on the tab, the terms of this deal say you must change to a local plan if you move out of province. So they could tell you to switch to another plan; and you would be stuck because of your tab. Having a BYOD means you have the flexibility to move whenever you want.

Just my thoughts.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 05:09 PM   #192
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's not really in their best interest to do that. Anyone doing this will be a net-new user for Koodo, since you can't do the number porting part if you're already a Koodo subscriber (no idea if that also applies to Telus). So they're not losing any money, they're gaining new customers and extra revenue even if it's at a reduced rate. If they start changing plans on people then they will likely just leave and go back to whomever they were with before. The smart thing for them to do is to turn a blind eye to the small percentage of customers doing this
Makes you wonder why Telus, Rogers or Bell doesn't just come out and offer this plan. They would get a crap load of customers in a heartbeat.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #193
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post

Do you have a good plan currently? I'd recommend purchasing your phone outright and swapping out the sim card. This is what I did and Bell will have to pry my 6GB/month data and unlimited calling for $70/month from my cold dead hands.
Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 PM   #194
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well said. I even got this plan from a csa knowing I had an Alberta address.
They seem willing to turn a blind eye in order to attract new customers, win win.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:05 PM   #195
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Makes you wonder why Telus, Rogers or Bell doesn't just come out and offer this plan. They would get a crap load of customers in a heartbeat.
Because if one does it, the rest have to do it to avoid bleeding customers. And since they all collude anyways they won't just give away millions of dollars in revenue in a fake customer battle

But Koodo/Telus isn't the only company you can do this trick with. Both Fido and Virgin offer the same plan in Saskatchewan that Koodo does. So if their online portals allow you to port a number like Koodo's does, then you could do the same thing with them. Thus the big 3 are still "competing" in the shadow market
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 11:56 PM   #196
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

From what I've read, the Fido (and Rogers system as a whole) doesn't allow for porting numbers self-serve and you need to call an agent where they will check for address eligibility. That's why it hasn't taken off for Fido.

Quote:
since you can't do the number porting part if you're already a Koodo subscriber (no idea if that also applies to Telus).
Telus you can port directly; for people already on Koodo post-paid it's a bit of a hassle in that it requires porting out the number they want to keep to Telus/Koodo prepaid before porting back into a new Koodo postpaid account with the $48 plan.
Old 11-04-2016, 08:00 AM   #197
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

These guys are trying to cash in on exactly what has been mentioned in this thread to get the $48 Koodo plan. Popped up as an ad on Facebook. They charge $100 for their services, all they do is give you the instructions to go set up your new SIM/account, and then take your login information and select the new plan and port your number over.

http://www.cellphoneman.ca/plans
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #198
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^Wow if they only knew how easy it was to do yourself.
He seems to think this plan will never expire, which is nice I guess as I keep thinking this is too good to be true.
chummer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:50 PM   #199
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Because if one does it, the rest have to do it to avoid bleeding customers. And since they all collude anyways they won't just give away millions of dollars in revenue in a fake customer battle

But Koodo/Telus isn't the only company you can do this trick with. Both Fido and Virgin offer the same plan in Saskatchewan that Koodo does. So if their online portals allow you to port a number like Koodo's does, then you could do the same thing with them. Thus the big 3 are still "competing" in the shadow market
Nobody is forcing them to collude. In theory they are still competing one against the other and often offer 'plans' to get you to come over such as credit, more data, etc. Someone with brains and vision would come back around and just lowball everyone else for 6 months.

Then again, that is probably what Telus has been doing with Koodo. They have to know what people are doing, but clearly they don't care.

Also, you don't really hear much about Wind Mobile now that Shaw owns them, but they are quietly upgrading their network across Canada. My guess is one of these days they will all of a sudden be extremely competitive.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #200
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So. I did the Koodo plan and first bill came and it charged me twice per line. Once with the sask number then again with the ported Alberta number. Does any know if that will get fixed on the next bill? Dont really want to call in to see.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote