Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #1
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Gaming console recommendations

I've been thinking about picking up a used console but am not sure what I should be looking for. My last console was the PlayStation 1 when it first came out. I know nothing about the new ones.

I don't want to spend too much because it probably won't see too much use. As for games, I'd probably look for 1 or 2 driving simulators (I used to like Gran Turismo on the PS1 and I think I used to have Need 4 Speed), maybe a hockey game or some sort of sport, and a first person shooter type game.

What console do you recommend? Are games the same across the different platforms?

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
I've been thinking about picking up a used console but am not sure what I should be looking for. My last console was the PlayStation 1 when it first came out. I know nothing about the new ones.

I don't want to spend too much because it probably won't see too much use. As for games, I'd probably look for 1 or 2 driving simulators (I used to like Gran Turismo on the PS1 and I think I used to have Need 4 Speed), maybe a hockey game or some sort of sport, and a first person shooter type game.

What console do you recommend? Are games the same across the different platforms?

No, consoles don’t have the same games. A lot of titles are released on both, but exclusives are a huge part of console manufacturers marketing strategy, sadly. If you want to play the best AAA titles then ps4 is your best bet, but it doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

I suggest a used Xbox one. Then get an EA access membership for $30. You’ll get a bunch of games including need for speed and nhl 16. Forza is the best racing series these days, although I’d avoid the newest one, Forza 7. Get Forza 6 or Forza Horizon 3 if you like open world driving.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have any friends that you think you may ever want to play with?

If so, then get what they've got.

If you're mainly into hockey and racing both consoles will have what you're after so who you play with is the main difference.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Do you have any friends that you think you may ever want to play with?

If so, then get what they've got.

If you're mainly into hockey and racing both consoles will have what you're after so who you play with is the main difference.
This. If you have friends that you want to play games with, get whatever they play on. If you're like me and you have no friends then get a PS4 cause it's got more games.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post

No, consoles don’t have the same games. A lot of titles are released on both, but exclusives are a huge part of console manufacturers marketing strategy, sadly. If you want to play the best AAA titles then ps4 is your best bet, but it doesn’t sound like that’s the case.

I suggest a used Xbox one. Then get an EA access membership for $30. You’ll get a bunch of games including need for speed and nhl 16. Forza is the best racing series these days, although I’d avoid the newest one, Forza 7. Get Forza 6 or Forza Horizon 3 if you like open world driving.
Seconded. I saw in the Best Buy flyer that new Xbox One X S models are going down to $230 this weekend for Black Friday, great deal. Forza can't be beat for driving sims this gen and the EA Access pass would get you some solid sports games and shooters. Really can't go wrong with what you're looking for.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are tons of OG Xbox One's on the market right now with all the people buying the X and you can get one pretty cheap.

That being said you will miss out on some awesome PS4 exclusives
Old 11-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #7
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, get what your buddies have. I bought a PS4 despite wanting an X-box because I didn't know anyone with an X-box.
N-E-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 AM   #8
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for the replies. I won't be playing online with anyone. I'll check out the XBOX and Forza 6.

Old 11-20-2017, 07:39 AM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Racing games are one of the very few reasons why I'd recommend an XBox. And with the newer XBox One X being out, the original XBox One will be coming down in price - especially used.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a PS4. It's the best.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 09:38 AM   #11
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I don't generally hit up Bed Bath & Beyond for my console needs, but $230 for a 1TB PS4 is pretty killer.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.ca/stor...F_CJ___2617611
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post

Get a PS4. It's the best.
Get a Xbox One X, it is actually the best console you can purchase.

But like you said you are looking for a cheap used version. There will be a ton of Xbox Ones on Kijiji and Xbox One S/PS4 sales during Black Friday.

But get what your friends are playing, if you don't have many console gaming friends, do a little research and make an educated decision. Another question to take into account is, do you have Windows 10 computer?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:51 AM   #13
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

'Best' is highly subjective. My 'best' right now is Nintendo Switch, but it doesn't fit what he described at all.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:08 PM   #14
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Another question to take into account is, do you have Windows 10 computer?
Yes, I have Windows 10 on my PC.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #15
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Yes, I have Windows 10 on my PC.
I probably wouldn't get an Xbox then. They've committed to releasing any of their "exclusives" to the PC so I haven't really bothered to get much in the way of Xbox stuff anymore as a result.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:17 PM   #16
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you've been out of the game since the PS1 and don't want to spend a lot of dough, why not pick up a Wii? Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, Metroid 1, 2, and 3, Twilight Princess, Donkey Kong 1 & 2, Mario Kart, Punch Out -- you could probably pick up a console and all these games for under $100.

I'm a pretty casual gamer these days. I went from being a total X-Box 360 guy to PS4. Microsoft just dropped the ball when the X-Box One was launched, and nothing has lured me back (although I am quite intrigued with Sea of Thieves.) I don't know, take that for what it's worth.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #17
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Get a Xbox One X, it is actually the best console you can purchase.
As noted, "best" is a wholly subjective term.

Microsoft is trying to sell technical specs. Sony is selling great games. I expect Microsoft will win the console sales battle in November, and perhaps even December, in the US because of launch hype. But it wont be long at all until Microsoft is back in third place. Because ultimately, gamers buy consoles for games.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #18
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
As noted, "best" is a wholly subjective term.

Microsoft is trying to sell technical specs. Sony is selling great games. I expect Microsoft will win the console sales battle in November, and perhaps even December, in the US because of launch hype. But it wont be long at all until Microsoft is back in third place. Because ultimately, gamers buy consoles for games.
I feel the Sony exclusives are a little overrated as you have to really be into Japanese games to get the benefit. There's really what two AAA Sony exclusives in regards to north American games? Three if you count Bloodborne I guess.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #19
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It still amazes me how bad Microsoft handled the Xbone, they decided what gamer's really wanted was a social platforming multimedia center with intense IP controls and a Kinect.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 12:41 PM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I feel the Sony exclusives are a little overrated as you have to really be into Japanese games to get the benefit. There's really what two AAA Sony exclusives in regards to north American games? Three if you count Bloodborne I guess.
I dunno. Horizon Zero Dawn, three Uncharted titles (counting the remasters of 1-3 as one), TLOU 2, Bloodborne, MLB The Show, Crash Bandicoot, God of War, Gran Turismo, Street Fighter V (console exclusive), and that's just off the top of my head. And while Japanese, the Final Fantasy games have wide western appeal and are increasingly moving toward console exclusive status.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post: