Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014, 03:21 PM   #2041
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard the XBone hurts puppies, and does so in 780p.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:30 PM   #2042
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
The point is that Xbox One is inferior hardware and it's not surprising it's inferior in another new way.

Didn't really consider the technical side of it because I don't really care and that's not the point.
Let me preface this with I have not interacted with a PS4 beyond a little time in a store playing a demo. Which is to say I have no real idea what the interface looks like of how it operates etc etc etc.

I do know of three people that have both systems and to a man they have ended up leaning towards the inferior hardware for normal use and will be using the PS4 for the exclusives or if there are huge quality differences in the game (and no most of what people bring up are not huge quality issues because by and large you quite literally do not see the difference unless you run them side by side which no one in real life actually does). A lot of it is controller based and it being the "family" system.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #2043
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
I heard the XBone hurts puppies, and does so in 780p.
PS4 hurts them more better.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:03 PM   #2044
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^With a higher PPS too. (Puppies per second.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Let me preface this with I have not interacted with a PS4 beyond a little time in a store playing a demo. Which is to say I have no real idea what the interface looks like of how it operates etc etc etc.

I do know of three people that have both systems and to a man they have ended up leaning towards the inferior hardware for normal use and will be using the PS4 for the exclusives or if there are huge quality differences in the game (and no most of what people bring up are not huge quality issues because by and large you quite literally do not see the difference unless you run them side by side which no one in real life actually does). A lot of it is controller based and it being the "family" system.
I'm not sure I'd waste my time, Ernie. It's pretty evident that it's just the same trolling this thread has been getting from the usual suspects.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #2045
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
^With a higher PPS too. (Puppies per second.)

I'm not sure I'd waste my time, Ernie. It's pretty evident that it's just the same trolling this thread has been getting from the usual suspects.
PS4's just the better console. I don't really care what Ernie's multiple anonymous friends with more expendable income than brain power lean towards. PS3 was a way better console than Xbox 360, as PS2 was light years better than Xbox. Sony has always had the better platform and it won't change this generation.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 05:38 PM   #2046
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
PS4's just the better console. I don't really care what Ernie's multiple anonymous friends with more expendable income than brain power lean towards. PS3 was a way better console than Xbox 360, as PS2 was light years better than Xbox. Sony has always had the better platform and it won't change this generation.
And the fanboy award goes too........
Old 02-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #2047
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
PS3 is arguable.

Was it the more powerful console in the end? Yes but during the first couple years of that generation Xbox 360 was better and developers clearly struggled with the complicated framework of the PS3.

Once developers learned how to unlock its power it really took over near the end of the life cycle.

As somebody who has both I prefer the PS4 but there are some neat things that XBox One can do that make it the preferred entertainment system for some. As a pure gaming system it's not even close right now though.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #2048
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL. I rest my case.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #2049
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's lighten up the tone in here and . . . all shake our heads at the number of little kids playing COD. For shame you terrible parents!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:42 PM   #2050
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
That article is stupid. (No offense to you, Chemgear). That sort of technology has been around for years and is readily available on mid-range security systems. Maybe using Kinect makes it cheaper, but it definitely isn't anything new.

All in all when Microsoft left the Kinect open source.They did what I thought they were going to do by seeing what people were doing and using it in Kinect 2.0.

Last edited by Violator; 02-03-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:07 PM   #2051
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have seen several uses of the kinect system and have no doubt that the dude in South Korea created that security system. My beef was with the article itself which implied that he invented this technology and that it was actively being deployed by the army at the DMZ. I would be very surprised if it actually is.

That being said, however, the new Kinect is seriously cool and is a technology that has near endless possibilities (the backup camera is a great example). I would love to be able to stick a Kinect camera above my front door and be able to snap to it when the doorbell rings. Screw you, Direct energy dude.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #2052
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
can't wait! plugging a headset into the controller was ok, but I missed the surround...
As the parent of a 4 year old who sleeps 20 feet from my gaming setup, the headset is absolutely essential for me. He can only hear me Hulk-smashing so many lego cars before his curiosity gets the best of him and he comes out to see if he can play.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:34 PM   #2053
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
For your sake, I hope you're not over the age of 13.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:31 AM   #2054
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's funny is the goal posts seem to move for each generation to fit his argument. Best console, hardware wise or in terms of commercial success? His answer is "either so long as it's the Playstation".

Hardware wise, the PS2 was not as powerful as the XBOX, but was more commercially successful, though it's worth mentioning the XBOX was the proving ground for Xbox Live, which contributed to the success of...

... the Xbox 360. The Playstation 3 was more powerful but notoriously difficult to develop for to exploit all that power, and the Xbox 360 was arguably the more commercially successful console, also bolstered by the revenue from Xbox Live. Playstation 3 sales didn't catch up until recently (I think Chemgear posted the article).

The current console war, Sony's got the beefier hardware but really is a "better PS3" in that all it really cares to be is the best pure gaming console there is. Xbox One doesn't intend to be that, but much much more. So comparing them seems like comparing a Range Rover Sport S/C to a BMW M6. Both are fast, one is more powerful, but the other is more well-rounded and flexible. Given the supply issues, it's hard to properly call a winner this early.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:33 AM   #2055
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's the same thing every generation. A bunch of immature children have to argue over who's toy is better.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-04-2014 at 06:36 AM.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 08:37 AM   #2056
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's funny is the goal posts seem to move for each generation to fit his argument. Best console, hardware wise or in terms of commercial success? His answer is "either so long as it's the Playstation".

Hardware wise, the PS2 was not as powerful as the XBOX, but was more commercially successful, though it's worth mentioning the XBOX was the proving ground for Xbox Live, which contributed to the success of...

... the Xbox 360. The Playstation 3 was more powerful but notoriously difficult to develop for to exploit all that power, and the Xbox 360 was arguably the more commercially successful console, also bolstered by the revenue from Xbox Live. Playstation 3 sales didn't catch up until recently (I think Chemgear posted the article).

The current console war, Sony's got the beefier hardware but really is a "better PS3" in that all it really cares to be is the best pure gaming console there is. Xbox One doesn't intend to be that, but much much more. So comparing them seems like comparing a Range Rover Sport S/C to a BMW M6. Both are fast, one is more powerful, but the other is more well-rounded and flexible. Given the supply issues, it's hard to properly call a winner this early.
Only one barometer of measurement that's ever mattered to me: the games. PS2 was a behemoth of exclusive games, no question. Almost every Xbox exclusive I picked up disappointed me. PS3 has a great library of exclusive games, and the line-up of mostly sequels and shooter on 360 bored me. At this point Xbox One isn't even on my radar - after two generations of nothing but disappointing games (to me), I have no interest at all. I don't have time or money to waste on things I might not like.

Perhaps a bit fanboy-ish but I'm a Nintendo supporter too, have owned every Nintendo console and handheld and really love a lot of their games. MS has simply never had any exclusive games I give a damn about while Nintendo and Sony have piles.

I know what I like and I know what I will like. Don't really care if it makes me a fanboy or whatever else.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:05 AM   #2057
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
It's the same thing every generation. A bunch of immature children have to argue over who's toy is better.
It's a lot like watching some dudes argue whose car is the bigger chick magnet, the Toyota Matrix or the Ford Focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #2058
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
It's a lot like watching some dudes argue whose car is the bigger chick magnet, the Toyota Matrix or the Ford Focus.
pfft that's easy, the Focus.....
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:57 PM   #2059
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:

Microsoft with the Xbox one is trying to do something different and do what they have always wanted to do with PC's by controlling the living room.Sony is pretty much pulling an apple add a little bit extra but not change it up much.The PSone to the ps4 hasn't changed much.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:05 PM   #2060
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Microsoft with the Xbox one is trying to do something different and do what they have always wanted to do with PC's by controlling the living room.Sony is pretty much pulling an apple add a little bit extra but not change it up much.The PSone to the ps4 hasn't changed much.
yeah they are basically the same lol...come on man

PS4 is going to be streaming games soon! that is as big as an advancement as there is. FFS xbox allows you to plug in your cable box how is that earth shattering. Its called an HTPC and I have had one for 10 years

both do movies on demand, music, internet, online play, ect. All things not featured on the PSone

Last edited by dino7c; 02-04-2014 at 10:13 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post: