Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #41
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Don't go crazy on the hdmi cables, as it won't really make a difference. I'm not saying to get the $3 Chinese cables, but don't go spending $100 either. I'm not an expert, but I believe monoprice cables are still the best value.

Great choice on TV, by the way. Check out the AVSforums for some great recommendations on calibration settings.
Thanks,

I need long ones so I'm guessing these are the ones to get? want to make sure they're HDR and highspeed capable

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MacDaddy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:11 AM   #42
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Lol. "the alliance"..well if someone wants to pay a thousand or two difference for a couple extra nits of brightness, all the power to them. The M is bright enough to make my eyes water, so I'm not sure what they're watching! You won't be disappointed with the M, think of the playoff tickets you can buy with the cash you save!

HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness - Measurement for brightness for HDR sets

Samsung KS-8500 (Ultra HD Premium certification aka 'the alliance' = 467 cd/m2
M series = 310 cd/m2

source is rtings.com

50% brighter is not just a couple of nits....

Again there is nothing wrong with M-series. There is better (yes more expensive) options that are better at HDR. All I am trying to point out is if the primary use is for watching UHD blurays, I would recommend to my clients stretching the budget if possible.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #43
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Thanks,

I need long ones so I'm guessing these are the ones to get? want to make sure they're HDR and highspeed capable

According to the majority of posters on AVSforums, those are the best cables for the money and spending anything more is a waste. Things change if you go past 20 feet though.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 12:25 PM   #44
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
HDR Real Scene Peak Brightness - Measurement for brightness for HDR sets

Samsung KS-8500 (Ultra HD Premium certification aka 'the alliance' = 467 cd/m2
M series = 310 cd/m2

source is rtings.com

50% brighter is not just a couple of nits....

Again there is nothing wrong with M-series. There is better (yes more expensive) options that are better at HDR. All I am trying to point out is if the primary use is for watching UHD blurays, I would recommend to my clients stretching the budget if possible.
Funny, the rating I read was 413cd/m2. Regardless, Dolby vision requires 1000cd/m2 fully, so your example isn't great either 😉

Now, the key question is this.... What will be the purpose of the television? Plenty of people just will not buy a blu ray player or blu ray disks. We are in a world of streaming content, and the vast majority of people will watch cable, Netflix and not much else. You start in a thread where someone is asking about 4k, and if there is any advantage to not running though his receiver. So that got explained by myself and a couple others, and forgive me if I'm going to be harsh here, but you sound like a salesman. You insist he would be happier watching television, and occasional blu rays, and streaming television no less by spending thousands more on an "alliance" certified television. Talk about not listening to your clients needs instead of just pushing them to spend more.

OP, go buy the m70. You'll be super happy with it, the picture quality is amazing, the motion handling is nearly the best of all TV's, the low latency input is second to none, and when AND IF you ever buy a player and want to watch a blu ray, your set is HDR10 ready and you won't miss a single thing the "alliance" says you will buy spending over twice as much. Spend smarter!
Old 03-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #45
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Funny, the rating I read was 413cd/m2. Regardless, Dolby vision requires 1000cd/m2 fully, so your example isn't great either ��

Now, the key question is this.... What will be the purpose of the television? Plenty of people just will not buy a blu ray player or blu ray disks. We are in a world of streaming content, and the vast majority of people will watch cable, Netflix and not much else. You start in a thread where someone is asking about 4k, and if there is any advantage to not running though his receiver. So that got explained by myself and a couple others, and forgive me if I'm going to be harsh here, but you sound like a salesman. You insist he would be happier watching television, and occasional blu rays, and streaming television no less by spending thousands more on an "alliance" certified television. Talk about not listening to your clients needs instead of just pushing them to spend more.

OP, go buy the m70. You'll be super happy with it, the picture quality is amazing, the motion handling is nearly the best of all TV's, the low latency input is second to none, and when AND IF you ever buy a player and want to watch a blu ray, your set is HDR10 ready and you won't miss a single thing the "alliance" says you will buy spending over twice as much. Spend smarter!
I own a P65 and a M65, I fully agree with this post. The only HDR content I consume is video games on my PS4 pro and the slight colour brightness difference between the vizios and tvs thousands of dollars difference is completely offset by the motion handling. Watching tv, sports, blue ray etc look amazing and the thought of cable tv being HDR or Netflix and others offering HDR within the next few years is a pipe dream. Vizios support of HDR 10 and Dolby Vision make them in my opinion the best tv's for the price.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #46
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Thanks,

I started buying Monoprice on Amazon. It's a slight markup but I find balances out with exchange plus free and fast shipping. Monoprice can take a few weeks to come.

https://www.amazon.ca/Monoprice-Cert...eed+HDMI+Cable
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 01:09 PM   #47
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I buy the Amazon basic cables. Very high quality and typical no questions asked Amazon warranty

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B014I8...ds=amazon+hdmi

If you pay attention they go for 40% off a couple times a month and that's when I load up.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:12 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you get it from amazon, make sure it says "ships and sold my amazon". My first one showed up in a few days. My second one, which said ships and sold by Monoprice "Canada" is coming from the States, via DHL who is in no hurry to move it... Ordered it Sunday, it's, uhm, well it made it from Monoprice to DHL on Monday but looks like it hasn't moved out of Compton. Maybe it's working on it's street smarts?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:14 PM   #49
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ wires with street cred.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #50
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Funny, the rating I read was 413cd/m2. Regardless, Dolby vision requires 1000cd/m2 fully, so your example isn't great either 😉

I not looking to further escalate this, but I will defend myself.

First

I said "...ifthe primary use is for watching UHD blurays, I would recommend to my clients stretching the budget if possible." The key word is 'if'. If you don't plan to watch UHD blurays don't worry about the certification. Even if a person does, they have to decide if the extra dollars are worth it.

Second

I do a complete need's assessment of my clients and sell to what they need not anything else. Please don't insinuate that I lack integrity, my business is built entirely by referral.

Third

I was not giving specific advice to OP but when HDR came up in the thread, my first post (trying to be general source of information) suggested the Premier Certification for those who are interested. You jump on this as if I am trying to persuade the OP into something else. I am not.

Fourth

"You insist he would be happier watching television, and occasional blu rays, and streaming television no less by spending thousands more on an "alliance" certified television. Talk about not listening to your clients needs instead of just pushing them to spend more." - Really??? Did you read the posts. Look, I am just trying to add my two cents, I have done this for a long time. I have contributed on other threads giving free, professional advice to contribute to the community. I am sorry but your perception on this is off.

I commend you, you have given solid advice to OP, I was not trying to contradict for show, but just trying to add to the facts within the thread.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:25 PM   #51
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Both the Amazon and Monoprice cables are good recommendations.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-09-2017 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:26 PM   #52
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I use Amazon basics HDMI 2.2 for my 4k TV and receiver. Work great.

One issue that is going to further complicate the hook-up scenario is that not all ports on that Vizio TV are the same. Depending in the model he may only have one input with 4k @60 Hz. In that case he may want to spend the additional money on a new 4k receiver to simplify his cable scenario.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:52 PM   #53
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Both the Amazon and Monoprice cables are good recommendations.
Love the monoprice ones.

Haven't used the AmazonBasics HDMI. Tried the apple cables from them, wasn't extremely impressed but they worked. Curious about their HDMIs.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 01:59 PM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grabbed an Amazon basics one a few weeks ago, no problems with it, but it's only a 3 footer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 03:11 PM   #55
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

By the way, does someone want to school me of the limitations of 30hz hdmi port?

What exactly would someone be missing out on by using a 4k@30hz port that a 60hz port would deliver?

For example, if I have my regular ps4 plugged into a 30hz hdmi port, am I a friggin' turd?

Last edited by Flash Walken; 03-09-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:15 PM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

30hz.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 03:23 PM   #57
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I not looking to further escalate this, but I will defend myself. ..........
That's fine, and I did jump on you yes, because what you type conveys the M series Vizio as an inferior product based solely on this "alliance" certification of 100% HDR10, which it just simply isn't. That's the trouble with electronics sales, it pushes people toward devices with certifications that may not be of consequence. It's an upsell with a big price tag. Are there TV's that are grossly inferior? Absolutely. Are there TV's with the $$ to feature and quality value like Vizio? No, not at all.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:19 PM   #58
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
That's fine, and I did jump on you yes, because what you type conveys the M series Vizio as an inferior product based solely on this "alliance" certification of 100% HDR10, which it just simply isn't. That's the trouble with electronics sales, it pushes people toward devices with certifications that may not be of consequence. It's an upsell with a big price tag. Are there TV's that are grossly inferior? Absolutely. Are there TV's with the $$ to feature and quality value like Vizio? No, not at all.
To some level we will have to agree to disagree. I do agree the Visio is a very nice tv and pretty much unparalleled in its features/performance to price ratio. I also, based on what I read in the thread, think it is probably one of the best if not the best choice for the OP.
Old 03-09-2017, 05:09 PM   #59
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
By the way, does someone want to school me of the limitations of 30hz hdmi port?

What exactly would someone be missing out on by using a 4k@30hz port that a 60hz port would deliver?

For example, if I have my regular ps4 plugged into a 30hz hdmi port, am I a friggin' turd?

I second this question. I plugged my Chromecast ultra into this port, but I don't really know why. My Bell receiver and Xbone are using 30 hz ports. Is that bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:57 PM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
What content are you using for the HDR? Thanks!
Video games and 4K Blu-ray.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote