Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2013, 12:58 AM   #81
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I'm going to take a lot of heat of this, but am I the only one who's sort of ambivalent as to whether Iginla wins the Cup or not? Not really sure why entirely, but probably because I was not a fan of the Pens prior to the acquiring him: and my allegiances won't change just with them adding him.

The teams I hope will win the cup in order:

1. Blackhawks or Kings. I was a Blackhawks fan growing up, but have become a Kings fan in recent years. I love the style both teams play, specifically the Kings under Sutter. Both teams are very solid in every facet of the game, and play respectable brands of hockey. Not sure you can say the same for the Penguins.

3. Bruins. I still feel I owe them for taking out the Canucks a couple years ago. The only guy I really don't like on the team is Marchand; meanwhile I'm a pretty big fan of Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic, Ference, Campbell, and a couple of their other players.

After that either the Wings or Pens. It would be kind of cool to see Detroit shut all the naysayers up, and show just how unpredictable the playoffs are. Going into the first round I bet very few people even had Detroit in their top ten contenders. It's also hard not to like Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but that's about it.

Then with the Penguins the only two players I really give a crap about on their team is Iginla and Letang. Which is just not enough reason for me to want them to win. I guess it's safe to say I have a Western bias in some ways.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:06 AM   #82
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I know I'm going to take a lot of heat of this, but am I the only one who's sort of ambivalent as to whether Iginla wins the Cup or not? Not really sure why entirely, but probably because I was not a fan of the Pens prior to the acquiring him: and my allegiances won't change just with them adding him.

The teams I hope will win the cup in order:

1. Blackhawks or Kings. I was a Blackhawks fan growing up, but have become a Kings fan in recent years. I love the style both teams play, specifically the Kings under Sutter. Both teams are very solid in every facet of the game, and play respectable brands of hockey. Not sure you can say the same for the Penguins.

3. Bruins. I still feel I owe them for taking out the Canucks a couple years ago. The only guy I really don't like on the team is Marchand; meanwhile I'm a pretty big fan of Chara, Rask, Bergeron, Seguin, Lucic, Ference, Campbell, and a couple of their other players.
You're not the only one, many here don't care if Iggy wins a cup or not. I personally have a bit more loyalty to someone who spent almost his entire career here, was the face of the franchise, took less money to try to win here and is just an all around great person than a team who happened to beat Vancouver.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #83
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Iginla ever really took less money to play here. Maybe a small sum at times, but the Flames paid him quite well during his career. Sure he stuck around when the roster sucked, and he should be commended for that, but I don't think the Flames ever truly got massive home town discounts from Iginla.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 08:18 AM   #84
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

NHLPA rep for years who made $83M in salary with the Flames. I don't recall any hometown discounts and in case you forgot Iginla held out at the start of the 99-2000 season for more money. Over the years he was paid or overpaid as a member of the Flames a top salary amongst all players in the league.

The organization compensated the face of their franchise and Iginla represented himself well in the community and on the ice. Took less money to play in Calgary... I don't think that's accurate.

Last edited by iamca; 05-26-2013 at 08:23 AM.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:45 AM   #85
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I think Iggy could have made significantly more on his latest 5 year contract than he did, but I'd also say that was the first time in his career you could say that.

He signed his latest 5 year contract in '08 after a 50 goal, 98 point season. As a UFA he probably could have garnered a long-term, back-diving deal in a large number of different markets. Probably same cap hit, but he would likely have been signed until 2017 or something, and already pocketed about 15M more in the last five years than he did.

Not that he needs the money.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #86
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't give Boston much of a chance. The Pens are probably the deepest team we've seen in years. They've been coasting for the most part, if they turn it on the series will be over in 5. Even if it goes the distance you can't underestimate home ice advantage.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:24 AM   #87
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Why not: Boston in 7 with Krug scoring the game winner in at least two of the games.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #88
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go Bruins! I think the Bruins are the better team but whoever has the best goaltending will win this series.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #89
Danomite
Farm Team Player

Exp:

This is going to be an amazing series that goes 6 or 7 games. PIttsburgh's high power offence will prove to be too much for the Bruins. We may see Fleury back between the pipes as well. GO IGGY GO!!
Danomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #90
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Bruins in 6...goaltending IS better regardless of what Vokoun did against Ottawa and the ability of Boston to send wave after wave of forecheckers in deep against that pens defense and wear them out will be the difference.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #91
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I disagree. The edge goes to Boston as MAF has proven to be unreliable in these playoffs. If Vokun stumbles the Pens are in trouble.
Who do the Bruins go to when Rask gets lit up for 5+ in 2-3 games? Any team gets in trouble when the starter doesnt perform and the Pens have a much better chance of chasing Rask than the other way around.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:32 AM   #92
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you think that pitts dresses McIntyre for a game or two?

I cant see any bruin fighting him, not because they are scared, but because McIntyre is such a bad player.

He is quite the deterran though, if things did get out of control.
Old 05-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #93
PeteLFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ohhhhhh snap Crosby is practicing without the jaw protector things are about to get real.
PeteLFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteLFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM   #94
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Media will talk about Iginla in Pit instead of Bos, but I doubt the fans will care and it will be a non-story after game one.

Pittsburgh wins this I think. Should be close either way.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #95
$ven27
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Pens in 4 or 5.
$ven27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #96
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Who do the Bruins go to when Rask gets lit up for 5+ in 2-3 games? Any team gets in trouble when the starter doesnt perform and the Pens have a much better chance of chasing Rask than the other way around.
When have the Bruins given up that many goals in a game....all season?

Ill answer for you...3 times all season and zero in the playoffs...but now all of a sudden they are going to breakdown and allow the Pens to trample them?

Not a chance.

The Pens on the other hand? 7 times have been burned for 5+, including once against the Isles in the playoffs.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #97
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If there's any team in the NHL capable of lighting up anyone, it's the Pens.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TurnedTheCorner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2013, 11:26 AM   #98
GoIggy
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Can I ask what all this talk about MacIntyre is about? Lol... the dude has played 1 game for the pens since Jan 2012 (called him up for a stupid Senators grudge match). Most people even forgot he was in organization before that 10 hour call up (Was quickly sent down after that game).

No, he will not even come close to making it even to the guys eating nachos
Old 05-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #99
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I desperately want the Bruins to win this one. I have no love for Iggy anymore. Bruins in 6.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:38 AM   #100
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I don't think Iginla ever really took less money to play here. Maybe a small sum at times, but the Flames paid him quite well during his career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
NHLPA rep for years who made $83M in salary with the Flames. I don't recall any hometown discounts and in case you forgot Iginla held out at the start of the 99-2000 season for more money.
Well it's all speculation but I have to disagree. He signed his last deal for a little less than NY signed Drury for the year before. A little less than Vanek was offer sheeted for. Lecavalier was putting up similar numbers the next year when he signed his ridiculous contract. I think Iginla would have made at least 1M more a year, probably 2M if he went UFA.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote