Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM   #2161
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Actually I think it's fair to have been pissed at Iggy. There are some legitimate reasons, overblown or not. He definitely sugar coated the Pens organization every time he was asked. And was already contrasting the two teams just mere weeks in. IMO a guy with his supposed class shouldn't do that to his former team. Seems he tries so hard to please whatever company he is surrounded by, even if it means throwing others (in this case Calgary) under the bus. His press conference after the trade didn't impress me either, for all that the city has provided him and the time he's spent here, he didn't come off to me as sentimental, like everyone else who showed up for him, but purely excited to move on, and get out. (kind of don't blame him, but still... 16 years.)

And the Boston deal was clearly the better of the two. Fact is he put himself before the team in the end. And he made the wrong choice in doing so. Was too star struck by Pitts and thought he'd have a fairy tale ending there. Ah well, Jarome..

I like the guy still, but I just don't respect him as much now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, he clearly moved on fast and didn't look back. I'm happy for the past years we had with him, but he killed any sentimental attachment.

Probably for the best though.

Were you guys expecting this?

Iggy was ready for the trade. Ready to move on. He already knew what type of questions would be thrown at him. Feaster said himself, that it was during the California trip that he made his approach to Iginla asking for his list. From that point on, Iggy was ready for a trade.

I'm glad he kept himself composed and together at the press conference. Wasn't an easy thing to do. It actually made it easier for some people to say good-bye and good luck.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 AM   #2162
hariton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Iggy tried to play it safe. Underdogs win.
hariton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #2163
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Prepared or not, a lot of changes happen really quickly. When Iggy has been traded and is having a press conference, likely he had come to terms with an eventual move in some sense, and had yet to come to terms with it in another. The guy has been in front if cameras for years under adversity and has remained composed and positive. For a fiery competitor, you know there is emotion under there that is not shown.

People talk crap about the deal he accepted, and one guy even said the situation was worse than Sundin. Goodness, Sundin was (wrongly) skewered by sticking to his no trade. Iggy was well within his rights to play out his negotiated contract and the Flames either resign him or end up empty handed. And people are nitpicking the return.

Too much emotion from too many people here. A proud guy who believes in himself and his teammates, new coach, short season, asking for 5 more games, and if he is being run out of town, at least accepting it but considering himself and what he thought made it worthwhile for him to waive. Maybe he was wrong. But that is debatable and with the benefit of hindsight. I think it is quite likely that Crosby was far less than 100 percent. Can't remember the last time I had seen him standing still on a PP, seemingly out of ideas.

And the minus 1 last game. Lazy, lazy change from a dejected Malkin and Neal. Iggy hustled to get in to the play and get a stick in front of the puck, and what a karmic bitchslap. Plus, Chara's glove on Malkin's shot is one in a thousand at least. You put yourself in a position to create luck, but boy, that is the kind of luck the B's got and the Pens did not. Boston played a great series, give them credit for frustrating and stifling Pitt, but Lady Luck was certainly there when they needed it. Blocked shot off Martin's skate a perfectly placed 5-hole. Yeesh. The Pens goal in game 3 was far less based on chance.

Shameful to see him villianized. Damned if you do and damned if you don't
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #2164
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Prepared or not, a lot of changes happen really quickly. When Iggy has been traded and is having a press conference, likely he had come to terms with an eventual move in some sense, and had yet to come to terms with it in another. The guy has been in front if cameras for years under adversity and has remained composed and positive. For a fiery competitor, you know there is emotion under there that is not shown.

People talk crap about the deal he accepted, and one guy even said the situation was worse than Sundin. Goodness, Sundin was (wrongly) skewered by sticking to his no trade. Iggy was well within his rights to play out his negotiated contract and the Flames either resign him or end up empty handed. And people are nitpicking the return.

Too much emotion from too many people here. A proud guy who believes in himself and his teammates, new coach, short season, asking for 5 more games, and if he is being run out of town, at least accepting it but considering himself and what he thought made it worthwhile for him to waive. Maybe he was wrong. But that is debatable and with the benefit of hindsight. I think it is quite likely that Crosby was far less than 100 percent. Can't remember the last time I had seen him standing still on a PP, seemingly out of ideas.

And the minus 1 last game. Lazy, lazy change from a dejected Malkin and Neal. Iggy hustled to get in to the play and get a stick in front of the puck, and what a karmic bitchslap. Plus, Chara's glove on Malkin's shot is one in a thousand at least. You put yourself in a position to create luck, but boy, that is the kind of luck the B's got and the Pens did not. Boston played a great series, give them credit for frustrating and stifling Pitt, but Lady Luck was certainly there when they needed it. Blocked shot off Martin's skate a perfectly placed 5-hole. Yeesh. The Pens goal in game 3 was far less based on chance.

Shameful to see him villianized. Damned if you do and damned if you don't
Great post; thanks.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #2165
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Crosby snapped because Chara punched him in the jaw which he had broken weeks earlier in Game 1?

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:18 AM   #2166
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
So Crosby snapped because Chara punched him in the jaw which he had broken weeks earlier in Game 1?

And people called him a punk for getting into it with Chara

He smoked him pretty good
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #2167
gargamel
First Line Centre

Exp:

That reminds me of Boogaard going after Prust right after Prust returned from being out with a broken jaw. Boogaard used an elbow so it's not exactly the same, but he got 5 games for that. If the NHL had seen Chara's punch at the time, he might have gotten a game, but it's too late to do anything about it now.

It is kind of nice to have some old fashioned villains in the Finals to root against though.
gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:57 AM   #2168
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

i don't buy it. If he was still injured, then quit getting into the scrums. Also, if it re-injured anything, why didn't he put the full face shield on?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:05 AM   #2169
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubFlames View Post
What the hell. Possibly one of the worst posts on CP ever.

First of all, Iginla sold his house here in Calgary because he pretty much lived in Kelowna during the off season and there was no point in having a house in Calgary where he wouldn't be playing anymore.

He didn't move his family to Pittsburgh at all so I don't know why you keep saying that.

Here's an article dated May 16: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-penguins.html

Doesn't matter how much money he has made, why would he keep paying the bills for an empty house. That's just stupid. I have no problem in him saying good things about the Pittsburgh organization that's what any player would say about the team they play for.

I wish Iginla nothing but the best wherever he plays next. His reputation will never be tarnished in Calgary (unless he signs with Oilers/Canucks) and he is and always will be a legend in Calgary.
Great post. Iginla's contributions to the organization and the city should continue to be appreciated and lauded.

I hope you're right about his legacy in Calgary never being tarnished. Sad thing is, you don't need to look very far to see a vocal, yet likely small, group attempting to do just that.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:20 AM   #2170
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
And people called him a punk for getting into it with Chara

He smoked him pretty good
What the heck is wrong with Pittsburgh's coaches/management??????

They trying to keep Cooke on the ice at all costs?

This happened in game 1... Crosby came across as a whiny punk.

Pittsburgh most not have believed him either that Chara punched him in the face or they would have had their video guys go over every contact that Chara and Crosby had and have this clip ready to go on Coaches corner.

Chara would have at least missed a game and been labelled a dangerous offender. He and the refs would have been reminded by the Pittsburgh fans of this bush-league play every time he touched the puck.

Even now against the Hawks this will count against Chara. He will be monitored a lot closer and not (should not) get the benefit of the doubt.

Pittsburgh is a bush organization that won't believe and/or protect the best player in the league.

Iggy should be glad that they don't want him back.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #2171
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post

Just like when he smashed pacioretty into the stanchion just goes to show chara goes out there with an intent to injure.
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #2172
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Just like when he smashed pacioretty into the stanchion just goes to show chara goes out there with an intent to injure.
I think if Chara was out there to intentionally injure people, there would be a lot more people injured.

I'm pretty sure the guy plays at half-speed purely out of fear of killing someone.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:22 PM   #2173
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is what Chara did there different from what happens in most other scrums?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #2174
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I think if Chara was out there to intentionally injure people, there would be a lot more people injured.

I'm pretty sure the guy plays at half-speed purely out of fear of killing someone.

I was going to same thing. If he wanted to injure Crosby, Crosby would be injured. Which is what the point was. He wanted to get in Crosby's head... and it worked.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:30 PM   #2175
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is usually some facewashes but not often do you see a closed fisted punch to the face of another player who is being held by a team mate - let alone a player known to be coming off a recent injury to the jaw (I think that makes a difference if you are targeting someone with the intent to injure someone).
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #2176
H2SO4(aq)
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Actually I think it's fair to have been pissed at Iggy. There are some legitimate reasons, overblown or not. He definitely sugar coated the Pens organization every time he was asked. And was already contrasting the two teams just mere weeks in. IMO a guy with his supposed class shouldn't do that to his former team. Seems he tries so hard to please whatever company he is surrounded by, even if it means throwing others (in this case Calgary) under the bus. His press conference after the trade didn't impress me either, for all that the city has provided him and the time he's spent here, he didn't come off to me as sentimental, like everyone else who showed up for him, but purely excited to move on, and get out. (kind of don't blame him, but still... 16 years.)

And the Boston deal was clearly the better of the two. Fact is he put himself before the team in the end. And he made the wrong choice in doing so. Was too star struck by Pitts and thought he'd have a fairy tale ending there. Ah well, Jarome..

I like the guy still, but I just don't respect him as much now.
people need to grow up and realize that a players attachment to a city may not be the same as that cities attachment of the player. as a packers fan, ive seen favre play for the vikings like it was no big deal, and he is a much big icon than iginla to green bay fans. get over it. iginla was magic for calgary, carried the city in 04, but just like batman, he doesn't owe us anymore.
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote