Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2013, 02:18 AM   #2121
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
The Bruins are made for the play-offs seems a bit like revisionist history considering they need an epic collapse against a mediocre Leafs team to escape the first round.

I guess if the Bruins win it will be easy to say he made the wrong choice but with the Bruins-Leafs, Chicago-Detroit and Rangers-Capitals series it is easy to see how small things can change the whole play-offs and how fast a team can go to first round disappointments to Stanley Cup finalists.
That is a fair point. But there really is something about the first round that often makes it a very dangerous for top play-off teams. Everyone (almost) goes into the first round full of hope and fire. Teams that squeak in are effectively under little pressure and play above themselves and with freedom against teams with much bigger expectations and they can freeze or simply be bettered by teams with less ability. It is what makes the first round of NHL play-offs the most amazing time of the year - for me at least.

But that really wasn't the case against the Leafs - this was 4th against 5th - indicating it ought to be a close series, which it was. And you've got to give credit to the Leafs, they played well and had they been playing the Habs, as it looked like they would, they'd have murdered them - and probably Ottawa as well.

But the Bruins didn't get knocked out, because they had the character to never give up. You can see that character throughout the team. Can anyone honestly see this Pens team coming back from the hole the Bruins were in during Game 7? I don't.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #2122
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

damn ... a lot of anger in here tonight.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 02:47 AM   #2123
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudee View Post
Keep an eye out for a hoard of Iggy Penguins Jerseys on kijiji and eBay.
Yeah ok.

I have my Iginla Pittsburgh jersey hanging up in a way that its one of the first things I see when I wake up, and wherever he signs next that jersey will be up beside it

He picked the high offense team; Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz, Letang and it just didn't work out. I'm sure he knows he probably should have stuck with the Bruins but you can't lay into him for picking the team he did

There are people that will always love Iginla as a player for being the heart and soul of the Flames and being the franchises best
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #2124
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I couldn't be happier with the result!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:19 AM   #2125
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
How quickly fans forget what Iginla has done for the Flames organization and fanbase.
How quickly Iginla forgot what the Flames organization and the fans had done for him.

16 years. $70+ million dollars. Viewed as a community leader. Less than two days after the trade he was telling reporters how great Pittsburgh was, how great their winning tradition was, and well the club was run. Less than two weeks after the trade his house is sold and Calgary is a distant memory. Iginla moved on from Calgary pretty well immediately. Pretty disappointed with Iginla. No wonder the Flames never went anywhere if that was his true character showing.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #2126
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
How quickly Iginla forgot what the Flames organization and the fans had done for him.

16 years. $70+ million dollars. Viewed as a community leader. Less than two days after the trade he was telling reporters how great Pittsburgh was, how great their winning tradition was, and well the club was run. Less than two weeks after the trade his house is sold and Calgary is a distant memory. Iginla moved on from Calgary pretty well immediately. Pretty disappointed with Iginla. No wonder the Flames never went anywhere if that was his true character showing.
LOL are you still going on about this?

Saying how great Pittsburgh is has nothing to do with the Flames. It isn't a reflection on the team good or bad at all. It is 100% about Pittsburgh and their organization.

And what a jerk for not wanting to keep a multi-million dollar house in Calgary after the team has basically said that he isn't coming back and it makes little to no sense that they would sign him anyways. That disloyal jerk should keep that house empty in Calgary as a sign of loyalty to the fans and team. I can't think of a bigger slap in the face for the fans and city of calgary than a guy selling a house he will likely never live in again. What a prick.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:18 AM   #2127
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck-Hater View Post
How quickly fans forget what Iginla has done for the Flames organization and fanbase.
I'll reflect on that stuff when we hang his jersey. I really don't care right now. Just as I didn't care about MacInnis after he went to St Louis. Or Vernon in Detroit. Or Fleury in New York.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 07:49 AM   #2128
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

16 years. $70+ million dollars. Viewed as a community leader. Less than two days after the trade he was telling reporters how great Pittsburgh was, how great their winning tradition was, and well the club was run. ....
Wow! Do you really think he should have been moping to Pittsburgh reporters and his new team about how much he missed Calgary? Publicly, he hasn't said a single bad thing about Calgary since leaving.

And why wouldn't he sell his house here - he doesn't live here in the summer, and in approaching him re waiving his no trade clause, Feaster says he told Iginla they weren't prepared to offer him what he would get in the free agent market - a clear message they weren't going to be bringing him back.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #2129
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What struck me when Iggy made those comments about how well Pittsburgh was run and their great culture was that many of those things should have been under his influence as the leader of the Flames. It was his room for the last decade, and yet you hear Conroy talk about guys like Glencross and Giordano leaving Hanowski sitting in the room by himself. That to me is part of the legacy Iggy left behind.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 08:45 AM   #2130
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
What struck me when Iggy made those comments about how well Pittsburgh was run and their great culture was that many of those things should have been under his influence as the leader of the Flames. It was his room for the last decade, and yet you hear Conroy talk about guys like Glencross and Giordano leaving Hanowski sitting in the room by himself. That to me is part of the legacy Iggy left behind.
Glencross and Giordano left Hanowski behind because of Iginla?

Did we hear similar stories of guys being left behind when Iginla was around?

Seems like there was a pretty good culture when Iginla was here. People talked about how much they liked playing with him and how forward they were to play with him when arriving via trade or FA.

The revisionist history to try and pin all this BS on Iginla is getting tiresome and Oilers-esque.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:48 AM   #2131
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL are you still going on about this?

Saying how great Pittsburgh is has nothing to do with the Flames. It isn't a reflection on the team good or bad at all. It is 100% about Pittsburgh and their organization.

And what a jerk for not wanting to keep a multi-million dollar house in Calgary after the team has basically said that he isn't coming back and it makes little to no sense that they would sign him anyways. That disloyal jerk should keep that house empty in Calgary as a sign of loyalty to the fans and team. I can't think of a bigger slap in the face for the fans and city of calgary than a guy selling a house he will likely never live in again. What a prick.
What Iginla said was a slap in the face to the Flames organization as far as I am concerned. The guy had been there for less than 48 hours and the Penguins were the epitome of how hockey teams should be run? The smart thing to say he's still adjusting but with the great group of guys in the room the adjustment should go smoothly and he's looking to contribute to winning a cup. No need to blow smoke. He was with the Flames for 16 years and in less than two days he's discovered the way real winning hockey clubs are run?

I'm still curious why he would sell his house so quickly? He has family here in Calgary, right? He supposedly loves the city and wanted to continue to be part of the community, right? Why sell so quickly? For a guy that meant so much to Calgary, and Calgary ,want so much to him, I find it strange that he would sell it immediately without knowing what his future looked like. He's a guy who made $70 million. Was he that hard up for cash? Was it that important to move his family to Pittsburgh, where he didn't even have a contract for next? Doesn't add up. That's without considering kids, schools and logistics of a major move.

Iginla was one of my favorite players of all time because he carried himself with class. The way he acted at the deadline made me sick. First jerking the Flames and Bruins around and then the whole bail on the city that supposedly means so much to you. He came off as just another mercenary player who was only interested in himself. Not a fan any more. Glad the Penguins lost and hope he ends up playing for some also-ran like Vancouver and ends his career mired in mediocrity.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 09:00 AM   #2132
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What Iginla said was a slap in the face to the Flames organization as far as I am concerned. The guy had been there for less than 48 hours and the Penguins were the epitome of how hockey teams should be run? The smart thing to say he's still adjusting but with the great group of guys in the room the adjustment should go smoothly and he's looking to contribute to winning a cup. No need to blow smoke. He was with the Flames for 16 years and in less than two days he's discovered the way real winning hockey clubs are run?

I'm still curious why he would sell his house so quickly? He has family here in Calgary, right? He supposedly loves the city and wanted to continue to be part of the community, right? Why sell so quickly? For a guy that meant so much to Calgary, and Calgary ,want so much to him, I find it strange that he would sell it immediately without knowing what his future looked like. He's a guy who made $70 million. Was he that hard up for cash? Was it that important to move his family to Pittsburgh, where he didn't even have a contract for next? Doesn't add up. That's without considering kids, schools and logistics of a major move.

Iginla was one of my favorite players of all time because he carried himself with class. The way he acted at the deadline made me sick. First jerking the Flames and Bruins around and then the whole bail on the city that supposedly means so much to you. He came off as just another mercenary player who was only interested in himself. Not a fan any more. Glad the Penguins lost and hope he ends up playing for some also-ran like Vancouver and ends his career mired in mediocrity.
Couldn't agree more!

He is gone, lets move on with our lives! The Iginla fans can come back when they have a ceremony for him but as of right now,

Suck it Iginla! Cause the CALGARY FLAMES just moved up a spot
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 AM   #2133
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He never mentioned the Flames once. It had zero to do with the Flames. He never said the Pens are great and the Flames are crap. Didn't say finally nice to be with a great organization. Didn't reference, compare, imply, infer, comment, speak, say, mention or remotely do anything that related to the Flames at all with those comments.

Also doesn't take 3 years of playing for the team to understand that an organization with 3 Stanley Cups in the past 30 years, two of the top players in the game, an all time great as its long time Captain and a team that has had one of the top records in the past 5 years is being run well. People can see that from a far so if he added in two days of being treated well and welcomed by guys like Crosby his comments are more than fair.

Quote:
Because the team said it wasn't interested in bringing him back, him and his agent (and 95% of CP) can see it makes no sense to bring him back to the Flames and that is what people do when they move.

Just because he made a lot of money doesn't mean he should just let a house sit empty for no reason at all. When movie stars are gone for long periods of time they rent their houses out at times. Why would they need to do this when they have millions of dollars?

The fact that you take Iginla selling his house as some sort of insult shows just how out of touch you are with this situation.
The Following User Says Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 09:02 AM   #2134
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Couldn't agree more!

He is gone, lets move on with our lives! The Iginla fans can come back when they have a ceremony for him but as of right now,

Suck it Iginla! Cause the CALGARY FLAMES just moved up a spot
Why would he suck it because Calgary move up a spot?

Ya screw you Iginla the Flames finished 6th last but you only made it to the ECF! In your face sucka!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:06 AM   #2135
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would he suck it because Calgary move up a spot?

Ya screw you Iginla the Flames finished 6th last but you only made it to the ECF! In your face sucka!
Cause his team lost and the Pens pick is now better for the Flames... That was more of a "Im happy his team lost"

Oh, at the end of the day. The Flames and Penguins were both losers in the 2012/2013 season. In 20 years, no one is going to remember who got to the eastern finals, but only who won the cup!
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #2136
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Cause his team lost and the Pens pick is now better for the Flames...

Oh, at the end of the day. The Flames and Penguins were both losers in the 2012/2013 season. In 20 years, no one is going to remember who got to the eastern finals, but only who won the cup!
If they are both losers as you say then how does the suck it comment make sense outside of being a bitter fan?

LOL at the two spots better being a reason for suck it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 09:09 AM   #2137
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
What Iginla said was a slap in the face to the Flames organization as far as I am concerned. The guy had been there for less than 48 hours and the Penguins were the epitome of how hockey teams should be run?
You mean teams that draft an elite core through the draft and proper development rather than desperate trades trying to squeak into the post season? The Penguins are a incredibly run team. It was ultimately their coaching and the play of their top players that cost them this series.
Quote:
smart thing to say he's still adjusting but with the great group of guys in the room the adjustment should go smoothly and he's looking to contribute to winning a cup.
Fair enough, but seriously. How many other Flames fans are making such a farce over something that is so minor? What is exactly wrong with what he said?
Quote:
No need to blow smoke. He was with the Flames for 16 years and in less than two days he's discovered the way real winning hockey clubs are run?
Yes he did. The management group in Pittsburgh blows our out of the water. You honestly can't say you would take Sutter and Feaster as GM over Shero?
Quote:
The man knew he wasn't coming back. Why keep paying for an empty house? He wanted to move on and he got it. Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:
I'll give you the trade issue but how in the hell did he come off as selfish? He chose where he thought he had the best shot to win. Morrow chose Pittsburgh over Boston as well so i guess he was selfish too. Even if he was selfish he has earned the right to be. He gave his all for this team and this city for 16 years. You are acting completely ridiculous.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 06-08-2013 at 09:18 AM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:11 AM   #2138
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they are both losers as you say then how does the suck it comment make sense outside of being a bitter fan?

LOL at the two spots better being a reason for suck it.
You never know who can be at that spot. A better draft pick is worth a lot more to this fan in comparison to Iginla winning the cup.

Plain and simple. An amazing player, one of my favorites but he is now gone and so for me, he is just another player who plays against the Flames.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:13 AM   #2139
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

What the hell. Possibly one of the worst posts on CP ever.

First of all, Iginla sold his house here in Calgary because he pretty much lived in Kelowna during the off season and there was no point in having a house in Calgary where he wouldn't be playing anymore.

He didn't move his family to Pittsburgh at all so I don't know why you keep saying that.

Here's an article dated May 16: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opin...-penguins.html

Quote:
His wife Kara and three children have visited a couple of times and will soon be in Pittsburgh again. It's been fun for his children. "It's like a road trip for them," he said.
Doesn't matter how much money he has made, why would he keep paying the bills for an empty house. That's just stupid. I have no problem in him saying good things about the Pittsburgh organization that's what any player would say about the team they play for.

I wish Iginla nothing but the best wherever he plays next. His reputation will never be tarnished in Calgary (unless he signs with Oilers/Canucks) and he is and always will be a legend in Calgary.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 09:47 AM   #2140
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post: