Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2017, 08:59 AM   #2161
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought of that, but the Chargers moving to LA actually totally changes their schedule into 7 home games, 9 away games (Raiders likewise gain a home game to go 9H,7A). Every LA game involving the Chargers and Raiders will be a Raiders home game, at least 85% of the crowd will be Raider fans. So this really is all about money and has virtually nothing to do with the fans.
Old 01-12-2017, 09:09 AM   #2162
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.ibtimes.com/nfl-los-angel...double-2265688

The Chargers have long been the de facto home team for television stations in Los Angeles, and the franchise, in its relocation papers, claimed that 25 percent of its fan base came from the area. The Rams, meanwhile, spent 49 years in L.A. and boast large fan groups already pushing for their return.

Twitter data of NFL fans in 2014 showed a slight edge in support for the Chargers. More than 6 percent of the Chargers' followers came from L.A. County, while the then-St. Louis Rams registered nearly 2 percent of their followers from L.A. County. (Click here to explore the NFL fandom data visual from Twitter.)

A recent poll performed by SurveyUSA for the San Diego Union-Tribune/10 News/ABC7 Los Angeles showed a tight race for Los Angeles fans' affections. Twenty-seven percent of people surveyed in the vast metro area said they were very interested in the Rams moving to L.A., compared with 31 percent for the Chargers. The Associated Press, meanwhile, reported before the decision from the NFL owners that consensus was the Chargers were actually sitting third in fan support among the possibly relocating teams, behind the Rams and Oakland Raiders. The Raiders, per the decision from the NFL owners, would have the opportunity to head to L.A. should the Chargers decline to move.

L.A. isn't known as a particularly ravenous football town. Just 37 percent of people polled by SurveyUSA said an NFL team coming to Los Angeles was "very important" to them.

Most popular teams in LA County:

49ers = 10.35%
Raiders = 9.08%
Cowboys = 7.01%
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 09:16 AM   #2163
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

It really is a shame. Usually I'll respect any business owners right to make a profit, or increase their profit, but sports teams aren't really a conventional business. NFL teams make so much money through tv deals and the like that they really should be able to build their own stadiums, and as an owner you'd have the opportunity to make a permanent mark on your city and endear yourself to the fans by keeping their team in the city they belong. Like how big of a freaking legend would Mark Davis be in Oakland if he came out today and said "I don't care if I can get a better deal in LA or Vegas or wherever, the Raiders are a part of Oakland and they will never, ever, leave this city as long as I'm the owner." It would be a huge show of faith in a small but loyal town, and in the long run I bet it would pay off monetarily too.

I'm sure there's other factors at work that keeps this from happening a lot of the time, but Terry Pegula did pretty much exactly that for the Bills, and those fans love him and the team so much they sell out every game to see that crappy team play. Instead teams give up and move to bigger markets where people don't care as much.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:02 AM   #2164
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well if you thought the Chargers weren't going to be a massive failure before, check out this unbelievably bad logo they're going to roll with. Dodgers should sue.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:07 AM   #2165
Simanium
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
L.A. isn't known as a particularly ravenous football town. Just 37 percent of people polled by SurveyUSA said an NFL team coming to Los Angeles was "very important" to them.

Most popular teams in LA County:

49ers = 10.35%
Raiders = 9.08%
Cowboys = 7.01%
I'd bet that USC is most popular football team in LA, would be interested to see them included in the survey.
Simanium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #2166
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Well if you thought the Chargers weren't going to be a massive failure before, check out this unbelievably bad logo they're going to roll with. Dodgers should sue.

The unholy union of the Dodgers and Lightning. Avert your eyes!
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #2167
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is getting annihilated as bad as anything I've seen on Twitter. I wouldn't be shocked if someone last night pumped this out from MS Paint.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #2168
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, the StubHub Centre holds less people than McMahon Stadium, and I bet the Chargers still don't sellout every game.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #2169
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really going to miss the disco touchdown song.

San-Di-E-Go, Super Chargers.

San-Di-E-Go, Super Chargers!
Old 01-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #2170
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

I personally can't wait for all the future grudge matches between the Los Angeles Chargers and Las Vegas Raiders . Two teams in two cities where no one will care, the amount of teams moving in such a profitable league is just insane.

Not to mention the Santa Clara 49ers and the probable London Jaguars, thank goodness we don't have to tolerate the Toronto Bills.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #2171
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Someone has to move to Mexico City to make Goodell's dream of moving teams and making them less relevant in their new markets complete.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #2172
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I personally can't wait for all the future grudge matches between the Los Angeles Chargers and Las Vegas Raiders . Two teams in two cities where no one will care, the amount of teams moving in such a profitable league is just insane.

Not to mention the Santa Clara 49ers and the probable London Jaguars, thank goodness we don't have to tolerate the Toronto Bills.
To be fair, Jacksonville was a total blunder by Tagliabue. Them moving would actually make sense.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 12:55 PM   #2173
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only reason Jacksonville is more likely to go to London than the Bucs is the Bucs probably have the best stadium deal in the NFL. Otherwise the Bucs have been a better team overall than the Jags, but have consistently produced worse attendance. Bucs (and Dolphins for that matter) are kind of like the Chargers in San Diego, so many transplants and so many better things to do for free most Sundays. Last couple seasons the Bucs have had very few true home games, many games are 60/40 or 50/50 fan splits with the visiting teams.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #2174
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
To be fair, Jacksonville was a total blunder by Tagliabue. Them moving would actually make sense.
That's true, trying to establish a franchise in a small city solidly within College Football Country was probably a mistake. It's unfortunate for the home fans when teams like the Jags and Hartford Whalers move but it at least makes some sense. It's when you have teams like the chargers, and I want to count the 49ers in here too, move that you know your league has a problem.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:36 PM   #2175
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of course when you give the internet such a crappy logo, it's bound to produce quality responses.

Old 01-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #2176
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dallas StarsVerified account‏@DallasStars1h1 hour ago
new logo. hope this is cool, @dallascowboys

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #2177
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

And there it is. Wade Phillips to the Rams.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:34 PM   #2178
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a couple shockers, but the Chargers are walking back that logo already, and the Raiders will be filling the Vegas paperwork very soon. Seems likely they'll have the votes needed.
Old 01-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #2179
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post

I think the Raiders will do just fine. Raiders fans travel as well as any and they will get a lot of out of town people to games.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #2180
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think the Raiders will do just fine. Raiders fans travel as well as any and they will get a lot of out of town people to games.

I mean can you imagine now some weekends where you can go to VEGAS, and see a NFL and a NHL game.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote