Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2010, 03:56 PM   #21
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
<waterfalls, on Flickr>
where are these?
Old 11-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #22
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
more of 1:14 please!
And less of 1:16.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #23
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa_Flames_Fan View Post
I've been to Iceland too. These hot dogs are fantastic. Also make sure to order whale sometime while you're there. It is one of the few places in the world you can eat it and it is fantastic (similar to prime rib).

For weird things to see there is a phallic museum in the city itself.
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:24 PM   #24
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

that place looks awesome! My fiance had a good friend that was from Reykjavic and talked about the place constantly.

The only issue is I have a super big deal of being isolated, so being on a island like that would freak me out.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
that place looks awesome! My fiance had a good friend that was from Reykjavic and talked about the place constantly.

The only issue is I have a super big deal of being isolated, so being on a island like that would freak me out.
Iceland isn't exactly tiny. It's probably the same land size as Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia combined.

For the record, I would love to spend some serious time in Iceland. I was there once before for a criminally short length of time (~20 hours).
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 07:48 PM   #26
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybosh View Post
Iceland isn't exactly tiny. It's probably the same land size as Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia combined.

For the record, I would love to spend some serious time in Iceland. I was there once before for a criminally short length of time (~20 hours).
Iceland: 103,001 km^2
Mississippi: 125,443 km^2
Alabama: 135,765 km^2
Georgia: 153,909 km^2

Either Iceland is smaller than you think, or Mississippi, Alabama and Georgia are bigger.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 PM   #27
Iowa_Flames_Fan
Referee

Exp:

For those interested in correctness in such matters, it's "Reykjavik," not "Reykjavic." We don't really even have the "C" in Icelandic.

And yes, Iceland is pretty small, both population-wise and in terms of land-mass. But you really don't feel isolated when you're there. There are lots of people in Reykjavik, and a very fun night life, if you're into that sort of thing. It's not like going to the South Pole. It's really a blast--every person should go at least once in their life.
Iowa_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For any CPers out West, Seattle gets ridiculous prices to Reykjavic on IcelandAir. As low as $467 roundtrip after tax. Or about what it costs roundtrip to Toronto.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #29
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
'

It is the best hot dog in the world. It must be experienced to be believed.
I can confirm this. Incredible.

Also in the food realm, do the tasting menu with the wine pairing at Fishcompany. It's located near the harbor, easy to find. I've somehow found my way into eating at some of the elite restaurants in NYC and a few other cities, and this place was right up there and cost less than the majority of them. It's really become a standard setter for me.

I'd recommend that everyone go to Iceland, but I'd actually prefer to keep it to the smallish group that seems to go there now . It's an amazing place, great people, scenery that makes you question of you're still on the same planet, insane nightlife and incredible food. Even the gray weather we had for most of our stay added to the feeling of stepping into another world.

I do have to admit though that I didn't find the women all that great, but I think I've been spoiled in my current surroundings
valo403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valo403 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 AM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
where are these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gullfoss
Old 11-15-2010, 02:08 AM   #31
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Valo I was thinking of you that weekend, that was some crazy ass wind! We were in Keflavik for Ljosanott (evening of lights) and Saturday night the weather calmed down just in time for the concert and fireworks, perfect evening.

Glad you had fun man!
Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 AM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does everyone in Iceland speak English? It looks like a beautiful country, but I'm afraid I'd injure my tongue trying to pronounce some of those words.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #33
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Does everyone in Iceland speak English? It looks like a beautiful country, but I'm afraid I'd injure my tongue trying to pronounce some of those words.
Yes sir, most people are fluent in English here.
Old 11-15-2010, 03:31 AM   #34
Mad Mel
First Line Centre

Exp:

FWIW, my g/f is exceptionally well-travelled (months or more in each of S & N America, Africa, and Europe), and Reykjavik is her single favourite city on earth - the place she always answers when asked "if you could live anywhere else...". She just found the combination of people, lifestyle, culture and natural elements exceptionally to her liking.
Mad Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:14 AM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
For those interested in correctness in such matters, it's "Reykjavik," not "Reykjavic." We don't really even have the "C" in Icelandic.

And yes, Iceland is pretty small, both population-wise and in terms of land-mass. But you really don't feel isolated when you're there. There are lots of people in Reykjavik, and a very fun night life, if you're into that sort of thing. It's not like going to the South Pole. It's really a blast--every person should go at least once in their life.
It's been on my list of places to visit since I was a kid and I still want to go there. I know a few people that go there all the time. One of the drilling companies that we hire does work in Greenland and when they get time off, many of them spend it in Iceland...

One thing I find weird though is that because I was interested in going there, I used to post on a travel forum and most of the people from Iceland seemed to really want to get out. When I was a university student, I was asking some of them about potential internships there so I could experience the country for an extended period, and the general concensus was, don't bother and that I lived in a great country and that 75% of the people there would trade places with me if they could. Probably just a "grass is always greener" attitude. I get the same attitude from my relatives in Europe. They think I'm crazy for preferring it over there.
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 AM   #36
shane_c
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely somewhere we're considering a trip to next summer. We're in Halifax so it's like $570'ish return (taxes included) in June, July, August.

Now if only they would send me a tourist book. I've made 4 requests in the last year and have never received one.

shane_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:28 AM   #37
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pumped now after reading this thread. As planned, I'm going to go spend 5-7 days there next summer. Iceland has been a place I wanted to see since I was an ankle-biter.

Quick question though Thor, is there direct flights to Oslo from there? Or is there a boat or something that goes bewteen the two cities? After Iceland I want to start my Scandinavia trip there.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #38
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Westjet will need to do the same thing if they ever want to do flights to Europe with their metal.

I think it was Royal who flew with the stop in Iceland before they merged and if I remember it was stopped after 1 summer.

Had they not merged/bought Royal C3 might still be with us.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #39
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I'm pumped now after reading this thread. As planned, I'm going to go spend 5-7 days there next summer. Iceland has been a place I wanted to see since I was an ankle-biter.

Quick question though Thor, is there direct flights to Oslo from there? Or is there a boat or something that goes bewteen the two cities? After Iceland I want to start my Scandinavia trip there.
You have direct flights from Iceland to Oslo (airport code KEF), but another option is further away but a ferry from Denmark to the east coast of Iceland (to an awesome little town) http://www.smyrilline.com/Iceland.aspx

If you went the Ferry route you could end your trip out in the East coast which has some spectacular places to sight see, but again its not to Norway so the flying might be the way to go.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #40
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shane_c View Post
Thanks for all the replies. It's definitely somewhere we're considering a trip to next summer. We're in Halifax so it's like $570'ish return (taxes included) in June, July, August.

Now if only they would send me a tourist book. I've made 4 requests in the last year and have never received one.
Which ones did you request and from whom, I can get in touch with them to make sure you get them if you'd like.