Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2016, 12:55 PM   #41
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Statistics can only compared across countries (and time periods within a country) if the methods of gathering that data are similar. Different countries have different definitions of rape, varying percentages of victims who file complaints, and different ways of counting the number of offenses.

I mean, does anyone honestly believe you're 150 times more likely to be raped in Sweden compared to India as the UN report sourced on that page would suggest?
It's definitely not a plague as these statistics try to make it out as. Like rubecube said there are other factors at play which skew the study. I wouldn't be surprised if sexual abuse is 100-200 times more likely to be reported in Sweden than in India.

But it is definitely an issue that coincides with them opening their doors to the outside world. I don't think anyone in Sweden would self apply such a title to themselves if it wasn't an issue. This study just wanted to take it to an extreme.
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #42
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
It's definitely not a plague as these statistics try to make it out as. Like rubecube said there are other factors at play which skew the study. I wouldn't be surprised if sexual abuse is 100-200 times more likely to be reported in Sweden than in India.

But it is definitely an issue that coincides with them opening their doors to the outside world. I don't think anyone in Sweden would self apply such a title to themselves if it wasn't an issue. This study just wanted to take it to an extreme.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opini...ticle30019623/

Just thought I'd add this. Basically the gist of it is that Sweden has a very wide definition of rape that includes rubbing up against someone or harassment of work and they treat each individual incident as a separate charge.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 03:08 PM   #43
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/opini...ticle30019623/

Just thought I'd add this. Basically the gist of it is that Sweden has a very wide definition of rape that includes rubbing up against someone or harassment of work and they treat each individual incident as a separate charge.
And this is the reasoning that Swedish politicians have been using to brush the numbers under the rug and absolutely nothing is being done as a result.

There is plenty of other evidence to help support this issue though (not sure how credible these sources are, but there are lots of them).

http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/swedish-r...-stays-silent/

The below is in regards to sexual harassment, not necessarily rape.

Quote:
Sweden and Denmark now have the highest rates of sexual assault in the European Union, according to a study by the European Agency for Fundamental Rights. The findings were based on data from 2012 that was published in 2014.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/swedish-r...yIKOWKzbbQO.99
http://www.frontpagemag.com/point/17...iel-greenfield

Quote:
With Muslims represented in as many as 77 percent of the rape cases and a major increase in rape cases paralleling a major increase in Muslim immigration, the wages of Muslim immigration are proving to be a sexual assault epidemic by a misogynistic ideology.

The statistics are skewed by urban centers where the Islamic colonists cluster. In Stockholm this summer there was an average of 5 rapes a day. Stockholm has gone from a Swedish city to a city that is one-third immigrant and is between a fifth and a quarter Muslim.
If those numbers are even semi-accurate that's hard to ignore.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:28 PM   #44
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey hey hey,

we can't be talking about how other cultures may view women as second class citizens and property. That's racist.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #45
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sky News Newsdesk ✔ @SkyNewsBreak
UKIP leader Nigel Farage says it "looks like 'Remain' will edge it" #EUref
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:31 PM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-23-2016, 03:38 PM   #47
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

48%! Damn, that's a lot of racists in the UK! John Oliver sure has some 'splainin to do on behalf of his motherland!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:44 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird, CBC said they weren't doing exit poles because they wouldn't be reliable in this case.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #49
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
48%! Damn, that's a lot of racists in the UK! John Oliver sure has some 'splainin to do on behalf of his motherland!
I usually value John Oliver's opinion on pretty much everything. Except for his little ignorant speel during his episode. He left out some crucial details. Maybe that's why the British don't like him or know about him. He's too delved into America to know what's going on in his home country.
Old 06-23-2016, 03:56 PM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kind of a letdown when the leave side is conceding before the special on BBC even begins to talk about the referendum.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:06 PM   #51
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 04:14 PM   #52
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

If I'm understanding this correctly anyone from the EU can move freely into the UK no problem right? If that's the case then I can understand why they would want control over their own borders.

And if they wanted to severely restrict immigration I'd understand that as well, most of the population are native britons, so the argument of "you're an immigrant too!!!!" can't be shot off as a trump card.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:18 PM   #53
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
If I'm understanding this correctly anyone from the EU can move freely into the UK no problem right? If that's the case then I can understand why they would want control over their own borders.
well that's one of the ideas of the EU after all ... we can move freely between member countries. This isn't limited to the UK. Heck, I move across Austrian/German borders twice a few times per week.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:34 PM   #54
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
well that's one of the ideas of the EU after all ... we can move freely between member countries. This isn't limited to the UK. Heck, I move across Austrian/German borders twice a few times per week.
Sorry I meant move as in live and work in another EU country. The UK I know is at least a bit different, I had to clear customs going from London to Barcelona and Athens to Manchester when I went there last summer.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2016, 04:36 PM   #55
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

The UK is not Schengen
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:37 PM   #56
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Sorry I meant move as in live and work in another EU country. The UK I know is at least a bit different, I had to clear customs going from London to Barcelona and Athens to Manchester when I went there last summer.
If you're not an EU citizen, this is standard. There are different lines for EU and non-EU citizens when you go through customs.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:44 PM   #57
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon In Flames View Post
I usually value John Oliver's opinion on pretty much everything. Except for his little ignorant speel during his episode. He left out some crucial details. Maybe that's why the British don't like him or know about him. He's too delved into America to know what's going on in his home country.
What little details did he leave out? What was ignorant about his spiel and the British don't like him? First I heard of it. You making that up?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:47 PM   #58
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

First results are in which will tell us absolutely nothing as it is Gibraltar.
Leave: 823 (4%)
Remain: 19,322 (96%) Turnout 84%

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:11 PM   #59
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That settles it. North Korea style majority.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 PM   #60
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That settles it. North Korea style majority.
North Korea style majority would be 100% for one side and a total vote turnout that's higher than the population of the country.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:

Tags
brexit , britain