Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-21-2016, 08:27 PM   #3021
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Ok but even in Canada. I'm very pro hunter and I'm fine with people owning rifles for hunting so I'm actually asking, why not outlaw all magazine based guns
In all seriousness most places have magazine limits when you're hunting anyhow. For example in Colorado if you're hunting elk you can have no more than 6 total rounds between the magazine and chamber. No hunter who isn't a complete jagoff should be out there with a semi auto and giant magazine. It's not only illegal but your intent is to kill the animal as quickly and cleanly as possible. Spray and pray isn't a legitimate hunting technique.

The opposition to magazine limits is staunchly from the freedom crowd, there's not really much more to it than that. Their hobby takes priority over human life.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:44 PM   #3022
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Ok but even in Canada. I'm very pro hunter and I'm fine with people owning rifles for hunting so I'm actually asking, why not outlaw all magazine based guns
I'm not sure this really solves a problem. Many "regular" bolt action hunting rifles are actually magazine fed, although the magazines are typically designed around a 3-4 round capacity.

As far as semi-automatic rifles go, there are some advantages to using one in the field. The biggest reason is the ability to get off a quick follow up shot without having to break aim, which may mean the difference between a fast, humane kill and an animal running away wounded and facing a drawn-out, painful death. Granted, the ideal solution is for the hunter to simply not miss the first time, but in the real world it happens sometimes and personally I'd rather have the ability to make sure the animal doesn't suffer.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #3023
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sure, the quick follow up shot. And the next 28 follow up shots are for...what?
Old 06-21-2016, 10:05 PM   #3024
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Easy there, Texas. I never said that you need to be running around hunting with 30 round magazines, just that semi-auto rifles do have a legitimate use for hunting.

In Canada, all semi-automatic centrefire rifles are restricted to a five round capacity regardless of whether you are hunting, at the range, or just shooting pop cans in the bush. As a hunter and recreational shooter I don't like the magazine capacity restrictions, but I completely understand why we have them.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 06-21-2016, 11:10 PM   #3025
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since the Orlando thread was preemptively closed because...

The situation is getting stranger. A man claiming to be Mateen's gay lover was interviewed while wearing a disguise. He claims that Mateen hit the club as being exposed to HIV by a former fling.

Quote:
But the thing that makes me want to tell the truth is that he didn’t do it for terrorism. In my opinion he did it for revenge,” he told Univision Noticias anchor Maria Elena Salinas in an exclusive interview in English and Spanish on Tuesday. He said Mateen was angry and upset after a man he had sex with later revealed he was infected with the HIV virus

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...d_latinos.html
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 AM   #3026
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
I'm not sure this really solves a problem. Many "regular" bolt action hunting rifles are actually magazine fed, although the magazines are typically designed around a 3-4 round capacity.

As far as semi-automatic rifles go, there are some advantages to using one in the field. The biggest reason is the ability to get off a quick follow up shot without having to break aim, which may mean the difference between a fast, humane kill and an animal running away wounded and facing a drawn-out, painful death. Granted, the ideal solution is for the hunter to simply not miss the first time, but in the real world it happens sometimes and personally I'd rather have the ability to make sure the animal doesn't suffer.
So lets reduce magazine capacity to 2 or 3 rounds. Done.

I remember watching distinguished gentlemen with Eddie Murphy where they had a hilarious hunting scene where they were duck shooting with M-16's and after letting loose with more shots then a German WW2 anti-aircraft battalion they bought down one bird.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:22 AM   #3027
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Since the Orlando thread was preemptively closed because...

The situation is getting stranger. A man claiming to be Mateen's gay lover was interviewed while wearing a disguise. He claims that Mateen hit the club as being exposed to HIV by a former fling.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...d_latinos.html

Its starting to slide into the realm of I don't know what to believe anymore. For all we know he did meet with the FBI and they found out that this guy was full of crap.

The speculation is going to be wild and we probably won't get the truth for years.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-22-2016, 09:53 AM   #3028
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

That velocity is a big difference, i've shot gophers with a standard 22 (leaves a hole) and a 22 250 (gopher explodes).

Edit: I hate responding to a post and then realizing a whole page has gone by.

Last edited by speede5; 06-22-2016 at 09:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #3029
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its starting to slide into the realm of I don't know what to believe anymore. For all we know he did meet with the FBI and they found out that this guy was full of crap.

The speculation is going to be wild and we probably won't get the truth for years.
Which means that all the vitriol spewed by all sides can now officially be called preemptive, ideologically-motivated, and redundant.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:21 PM   #3030
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Found this over lunch, explains a bit more about bullets. I guess some of my assumptions were off a bit.

https://www.icrc.org/eng/assets/file...nd_et_loye.pdf
Old 06-23-2016, 08:53 AM   #3031
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

QR77 reporting a mass shooting in Germany at a theatre - 25 people involved
Old 06-23-2016, 10:42 AM   #3032
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
movie theaters? gay bars? public schools?
Old 06-24-2016, 03:10 AM   #3033
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
movie theaters? gay bars? public schools?
Don't forget post offices, got to keep it old school.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 PM   #3034
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

First of all...Go Honkers Go!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...bers/86315542/

Second...I'm not going to that game. No freakin way.
Old 06-25-2016, 01:37 PM   #3035
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I wouldn't be going to that game
Old 06-26-2016, 06:32 PM   #3036
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Texas woman snaps and shoots both of her daughters(17 and 22 years old) to death in the street, no other details yet except she had a history of mental problems. the cops shot her dead in the street as well.

It's Texas, why didn't the daughters have a gun for protection?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/tex...ers/index.html

Last edited by T@T; 06-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:36 PM   #3037
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
First of all...Go Honkers Go!

http://www.freep.com/story/news/loca...bers/86315542/

Second...I'm not going to that game. No freakin way.
Clearly the owners don't make money off the concessions. If you have a gun, you can't have a beer. While that's fair, way to destroy beer sales on "Bring Your Gun Night!"

You couldn't pay me to go to that game.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Old 06-27-2016, 09:11 PM   #3038
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Texas woman snaps and shoots both of her daughters(17 and 22 years old) to death in the street, no other details yet except she had a history of mental problems. the cops shot her dead in the street as well.

It's Texas, why didn't the daughters have a gun for protection?

http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/25/us/tex...ers/index.html
Apparently she was a real gun aficionado

In March, Christy Sheats, 42, wrote on Facebook: “It would be horribly tragic if my ability to protect myself or my family were to be taken away, but that’s exactly what Democrats are determined to do by banning semiautomatic weapons.” On Friday she got into an argument with her two daughters and shot them both dead. Sheats herself was shot and killed by a police officer.

Sounds like they should have been taken away. What a tragic waste.

http://boingboing.net/2016/06/27/sem...ml#more-468861

Old 06-27-2016, 09:23 PM   #3039
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a quick update. The Rochester Honkers lost their game on "Second Amendment" night again the Battle Creek Whoevers. But no one got shot. So really, there were no losers.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:33 AM   #3040
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a mass shooting, just more utter stupidity with guns killing someone for no good reason...

Quote:
Authorities say a 14-year-old boy was accidentally shot and killed by his father at a Florida gun range.

William Brumby was firing his weapon at the High Noon Gun Range in Sarasota on Sunday when a spent shell casing deflected off a nearby wall and landed inside the back of his shirt.

A statement from the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office says Brumby tried to remove the shell with his right hand, which was holding the gun and accidentally fired the gun at his son, who was standing directly behind him.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/father-ac...194420254.html
Closed Thread