Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #21
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm one of the folks who bought a bike because of the bike tracks. We live in Beltline, but I never bothered riding because I was petrified of the busy streets in our area. I always wanted to ride to work, which would include pulling a chariot with my daughter in it to her daycare, but I was not comfortable doing that on open roads. When the bike tracks opened up, my husband and I bought bikes, we got a chariot, and I now cycle about three times a week to work and am able to use some of the less-used cycle tracks - 11 St, 8 Ave, to pull the chariot into daycare, and then I can ride the rest of the way to work without the chariot. I usually take 8 St (from 7 Ave) up to the river pathway or turn onto 3 Ave, I'm happy I'm gaining confidence among a bit of traffic.

I honestly can't wait until my daughter starts kindy in the fall, then I can ride the 12 Ave and 5th St. bike tracks to work every day. I'm seriously giddy about it. I'll admit, I'm a fair weather cyclist, I'll never cycle in the winter, but from April-October, chances are I'll bike if it's not snowing or pouring.

I don't like how 12 Ave jogs so badly for vehicles, how lanes disappear then show back up. That annoys me when I'm driving. I wish they would have found a way to make those lanes straighter. That would be pretty much my only complaint.
tete is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tete For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #22
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post

I honestly can't wait until my daughter starts kindy in the fall, then I can ride the 12 Ave and 5th St. bike tracks to work every day. I'm seriously giddy about it. I'll admit, I'm a fair weather cyclist, I'll never cycle in the winter, but from April-October, chances are I'll bike if it's not snowing or pouring.

You should honestly try riding in snow. It's one of the most peaceful things I have ever done. I'm with you on the rain, that's just unpleasant all around, but snow is great riding. My cutoff was -15 when I rode regularly. I biked almost every day for 2 years from inglewood.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:36 PM   #23
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tete View Post
I'm seriously giddy about it. I'll admit, I'm a fair weather cyclist, I'll never cycle in the winter, but from April-October, chances are I'll bike if it's not snowing or pouring.
Honestly, give winter cycling a shot, it really isn't that hard. I had a post from a few years back that detailed most of my advice (I've got a few updates which I can share if you're interested)

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...62&postcount=7

Not having to worry about traffic reports, delayed trains - it greatly outweighs the minor increase in difficulty. Biggest downside is making it into the office while your suburban coworkers "work from home" on big snowstorm days...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:22 PM   #24
tete
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Honestly, give winter cycling a shot, it really isn't that hard. I had a post from a few years back that detailed most of my advice (I've got a few updates which I can share if you're interested)

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...62&postcount=7

Not having to worry about traffic reports, delayed trains - it greatly outweighs the minor increase in difficulty. Biggest downside is making it into the office while your suburban coworkers "work from home" on big snowstorm days...
Since moving to my downtown job 8 years ago, I've never had to drive, I've always walked, so biking isn't as big of a time saver/nightmare avoidance for me as for others. Right now because I have to do a daycare dropoff, I don't save any time cycling, but I like the exercise. But thanks for the advice, I'll look into it!
tete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #25
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:
Thumbs up

Huge fan of the cycle tracks. Live in Kensington, and I'm riding to work every day of the year (including winter) now, plus whenever I can for beers, meeting friends, hockey games, etc. Even sold one car because it was just gathering dust in the parkade.

Best way to get around downtown if you ask me. It's safe, good exercise, relaxing at the end of a stressful day, and most of the time it's just plain fun.
Flames0910 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 02:49 PM   #26
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump...

This upcoming December is when council will vote on the Cycle Track pilot. Does anyone have any idea of how this is going to go? I know there will be Councillors who vote against it even though it has been, by most accounts, very successful, but man would it be heartbreaking to have it all torn up.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 02:52 PM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm hoping they take the opportunity to tweak what needs it, but in general keep it. I'm amazed at this point in the year how many bikes are in my work building compared to previous years. I really do believe it is a case of "if you build it, they will come."
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 03:14 PM   #28
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I'd be extremely surprised if it was taken out now.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM   #29
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

No way it will be torn up. In fact, you can all but guarantee that all development and roads projects happening in the city moving forward (see 17th ave) will have to contain a cycling component.

Huge success.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 05:16 PM   #30
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really love the track.
I explored a lot of the city on my bike this summer on days off, which was made possible by the bike lanes. They do a great job of connecting parts of the extensive path system in town.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mass_nerder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #31
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the pilot project should be considered a big success and, hopefully, should result in a more permanent network.

There are certainly kinks that need to be worked out as a permanent track is created.
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:41 PM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
Bump...

This upcoming December is when council will vote on the Cycle Track pilot. Does anyone have any idea of how this is going to go? I know there will be Councillors who vote against it even though it has been, by most accounts, very successful, but man would it be heartbreaking to have it all torn up.
I'm sure certain members of council would vote against it even if the number of bike trips was equal to the number of car trips, but it seems like it's been successful enough that any Councilors who voted in favour of the pilot project would vote in favour of making it permanent.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:06 PM   #33
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd say it's safe. There is widespread indifference amongst downtown motorists because it simply isn't very disruptive at all. The political outcry if they mused or decided to take it out, or even parts of it out would be very, very strong from users.

It's widely viewed as an unqualified success, to the point that other cities are using it as a model for how to go about implementing downtown networks.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:16 PM   #34
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those who would consider winter cycling (even remotely), "Frost Bike" is a good book to read. It was written by a Calgarian and has a distinct Calgary flavour to it all while pulling in interesting stories about how commonplace winter cycling is in places like northern Finland and in other cities that, like us, were built up around cars alone but have adapted to support multiple modes of transport.

I love the cycle track but would ride in the driving lanes, year round, if it weren't there. Downtown traffic is pretty slow with all the intersections!
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 09:27 PM   #35
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sure one year later and it still sucks. The icing on the cake is when when cyclists ride on the road or the sidewalk right beside it. Mostly happens on 8th ave. I have no idea where they get their numbers from. I definetely don't see the hundreds and hundreds they talk about. I often cross it and intentionally look all the way down and rarely ever see anyone on it. I see it used so little there's been times i just use it as a sidewalk. I used to check for cyclists a few times when making a turn across it but i think twice in the last year there's actually been somebody there. Last week i stood and talked with someone after parking for 10 minutes at about 5pm. Not a single bike passed. This is all from this summer.

I have no idea where they get their numbers from. Probably the same department that does house assessments.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:05 PM   #36
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Sure one year later and it still sucks. The icing on the cake is when when cyclists ride on the road or the sidewalk right beside it. Mostly happens on 8th ave. I have no idea where they get their numbers from. I definetely don't see the hundreds and hundreds they talk about. I often cross it and intentionally look all the way down and rarely ever see anyone on it. I see it used so little there's been times i just use it as a sidewalk. I used to check for cyclists a few times when making a turn across it but i think twice in the last year there's actually been somebody there. Last week i stood and talked with someone after parking for 10 minutes at about 5pm. Not a single bike passed. This is all from this summer.

I have no idea where they get their numbers from. Probably the same department that does house assessments.
I'll add one more thing. Way to go city on all other bike paths that aren't on the road. I for one really like those. Provincially whoever thought of the banff canmore one my hat goes off to you.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 10:51 PM   #37
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll add one more thing. Way to go city on all other bike paths that aren't on the road. I for one really like those. Provincially whoever thought of the banff canmore one my hat goes off to you.
Why am I not surprised that you didn't have the foresight to just edit your original post?
Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #38
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I enjoy how you complain about cyclists biking on the road and sidewalk, and then you admit to walking in the cyclepath yourself. Don't worry. It's totally okay when you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #39
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Is your argument truly that you don't personally see that many bikers, therefore the stats are fake?

Are you actually serious or was that sarcasm??
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 07:16 AM   #40
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bike counters set up around the city, most put in for the cycle track network:

http://www.eco-public.com/ParcPublic/?id=4190

But your anecdotal evidence is stronger than that right stampsx2?
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: