Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2010, 01:02 PM   #41
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywilhelm View Post
That doesn't say he is signed, it is speculation.
The following site is reporting he has signed. Of course its all speculation until its officially announced.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

"10:54pm: A source confirmed that Hechevarria has agreed to a $10MM contract with Toronto, tweets Melissa Segura of Sports Illustrated. The deal is for four years, a source tells Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald (via Twitter)."
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:06 PM   #42
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

'Zep optimism: http://www.ghostrunneronfirst.com/20...epczynski.html
Old 03-16-2010, 10:26 AM   #43
flames_1987
#1 Springs1 Fan

Exp:

I wish I knew more about the SS from Cuba but I have no idea. It does sound like I should be excited though....!
flames_1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #44
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Pretty good piece from ESPN today.

Quote:
Over the past eight seasons, Roy Halladay's team was 60 games over .500 (149-89) when he started -- and 71 games under .500 (493-564) when anyone else started. Scary.

Want to look at this another way? OK, when Halladay started between 2002-09, the Blue Jays had a .626 winning percentage. When anyone else got the ball, they had a .466 winning percentage. If you forgot your calculators, that comes to a 160-point Halladay Effect.
Quote:
The building of that team won't all be up to Drabek, Wallace and d'Arnaud, fortunately. That's Anthopoulos' job. And one thing you can say for this team and its new 32-year-old general manager: At least the Blue Jays have a blueprint.
Quote:
And they're so committed to improving their drafts, signings and trades, they did something unheard of this winter: They actually more than doubled their pro and amateur scouting staffs, giving them the largest scouting department in the entire sport.

So while this team may be an excellent bet to finish last this season, at least it will be a last-place team with a foundation and a plan. And you sure don't see that across the continent.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring...son&id=4999598
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #45
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseba...-positive-sign

Another good article on the Jays. I like the following paragraph (bottom of the story in the link).

"Think of Hechavarria as a No.1 draft choice. Some pan out, some don't. It's usually a dice roll, but there's safety in numbers and the Jays have three more No.1 picks this summer, namely their own, the one restored for not signing last year's No.1 and a sandwich pick for losing Marco Scutaro. That's three picks before the second round begins and Hechavarria essentially makes it four, except he'll start at Double-A instead of high A, which means he's farther along than most No.1s."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #46
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marcum to be opening day starter.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/story/?id=315052

Should be a fun season with no expectations. Let the kids play!
Old 03-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #47
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Why does everyone do this to themselves? I can tell you right now how this is going to all turn out for the Blue Jays, and I can spare all of you the wasted time, frustration, and heart-ache of watching this team.

They won't make the post-season! Not even close!
Old 03-22-2010, 10:06 PM   #48
ricoFlame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
Why does everyone do this to themselves? I can tell you right now how this is going to all turn out for the Blue Jays, and I can spare all of you the wasted time, frustration, and heart-ache of watching this team.

Who said they were going to challenge for the playoffs? are you on hashish? Why can't we still watch the team...baseball is fun to watch.
ricoFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 PM   #49
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:

Old 03-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #50
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Compared to most years people on here seem pretty realistic.

The only nutcase I have heard with unreasonable expectations is Bob mccown and that is because he is an idiot when it comes to Toronto sports.

I think that people are a tad optimistic of the future and give AA way to much credit but that is too be expected with a rebuilding team and I don't think you can fault people for that.

As someone who has been quick to call out crazy optimism from Jays fans in the past I just don't see what you are talking about in your post.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #51
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Psst... I can tell you the same thing wiith 50% of the MLB teams.

That is not the point, AA has put together a solid plan and the Jays are finally moving forward. I like the new strategy and I am looking forward to see his next moves.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:28 AM   #52
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:

Boy what thread are you reading? People like baseball and want to watch - do you watch your teams only if they are winning?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:22 PM   #53
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
Boy what thread are you reading? People like baseball and want to watch - do you watch your teams only if they are winning?
Nope, but at least in sports outside of baseball the same handful of big-spending teams at least have a hope of doing something.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #54
koop
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Nope, but at least in sports outside of baseball the same handful of big-spending teams at least have a hope of doing something.
So what exactly are you doing in the "2010 Blue Jays Season Thread"?
koop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to koop For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 PM   #55
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
In baseball the big spending teams have a hope of doing something.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:04 PM   #56
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I really do not understand that statement at all. Sure in Baseball some big spending teams can give themselves an advantage, but it doesn't always guarantee success. As much as J.P.Ricciardi moaned about not having the payroll to keep up with Boston and the Yankees, he handed out more bad contracts than anyone in Baseball when he was Jays GM.

Baseball is a sport where 4 of 15 teams make the playoffs, and as a result if you can't spend every year you have to build your team as such where you try to give yourself a 3-4 year window of competing and hope you make enough money to keep your team together to extend the window and than spend the next 5 retooling your team. Sucks, but it's reality. It's hard to make the playoffs, but if you get in, you have a good shot.
Old 03-24-2010, 01:50 PM   #57
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I really do not understand that statement at all. Sure in Baseball some big spending teams can give themselves an advantage, but it doesn't always guarantee success. As much as J.P.Ricciardi moaned about not having the payroll to keep up with Boston and the Yankees, he handed out more bad contracts than anyone in Baseball when he was Jays GM.

Baseball is a sport where 4 of 15 teams make the playoffs, and as a result if you can't spend every year you have to build your team as such where you try to give yourself a 3-4 year window of competing and hope you make enough money to keep your team together to extend the window and than spend the next 5 retooling your team. Sucks, but it's reality. It's hard to make the playoffs, but if you get in, you have a good shot.
Bang on.

The only difference between the Flames and the Jays the past few years is that the Jays have a tougher division and there's less playoff berths to be had.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:26 PM   #58
ShaolinFlame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

DJF on the apparent layoff of Fletch...

Quote:
I know, I know. He could come off as unprepared, not particularly insightful, and too quick to play up his connections and experience in the game—in an off-putting way like the hockey ######s who insist on referring to the Leafs’ GM as simply “Burkee”—but you know what? I could give a ----. He called Campbell on his bull---- and seemed like an actual real person, unlike Swami Mullinicks and Pat “Dynamic as a Bag of Wet Hair” Tabler. He’ll be missed. (No, really.)
Im still laughing.

Flames-Flyers-Stamps-Jays
ShaolinFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #59
Gozer
Not the one...

Exp:

My Vernon Wells theory:

Surrounded by some of the most talented players in the league: Halladay, Burnett, Rios, and others being very technically sound; Halladay, Zaun, Rolen, Overbay - Wells' strengths weren't being accentuated by his team.
He would (I assume) take batting practice with Overbay and Rolen and those two would fight off pitcher's pitchers and hit to the gaps, and then he would take batting practice with Rios and Thomas and they would swing at anything, and Wells (like any other person) absorbed what made them great.

This year, playing with kids who will take pitcher's pitches and mash meatballs - Wells will trend toward that strategy and that will match his skill set much better. More Rene Bourque and less Daymond Langkow.

Even if it's not Wells doing it subconsciously, pitchers will do it for him.
Last year, opposing pitchers were willing to go deep into counts because the team lacked power (a 3-2 meatball is likely just a single) whereas this year an upgrade of power this year will require a pitcher to throw more early fastballs and less breaking balls. Of course there are scouting reports for everyone - but I do think most teams pitch with a general strategy.

How far am I reaching here?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 AM   #60
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gozer View Post
My Vernon Wells theory:

How far am I reaching here?
My theory, injuries have had a serious impact on this player. I doubt the players around him had anything to do with his struggles. If anything Halladay's work ethic should have been a positive influence.

It will be interesting to watch Wells, as for the first time since Wells has been with the Jays he is the true leader of this team.

The other theory is Wells is not a true 30 HR or 100 RBI player. He had a couple of inflated seasons. He is more like a 20 HR // 85 RBI guy.

Last edited by flambers; 03-25-2010 at 08:01 AM.

Tags
baseball , blue jays , greggzaun.com , haha buckner , yankees suck