Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2013, 01:16 AM   #61
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My sister has a friend that works security at the Dome, and he says that extra security comes in for only 2 types of games per year: Canucks and Leafs games. This doesn't includes playoffs.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #62
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a collective, Canucks fans are a stupid bunch. They burn their own #### when they are mad.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:48 AM   #63
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can only speak to my personal experience of dealing with Canuck fans, and I know I've said this a bunch of times here, but I've never had any major issues. And I probably deal with Canuck fans more than anyone on this board.

I go to 1-2 Flames games as a fan per season at Rogers Arena and the worst I have ever dealt with was a drunk teenage female, taking my Flames hat and running away with it. I tracked her down, got it back and everything was good.

When I'm at games, sure, I get the odd comment here or there, I get some popcorn thrown at me, but it's all in good fun. I've never feared for my safety, I've never felt the need to never come back. Maybe it's the way I come across, but I've never had anyone mess with me in a serious way when wearing my Flames jersey around town.

I work and interact with Canuck fans all the time and for the most part, it's the same. The odd idiot here or there, but nothing malicious. I actually enjoy some of the banter and I like going back and forth in debate/fun ribbing.

Again, I can only speak to my personal experience. Some of the horror stories I have read in here sound awful, but I don't think it's fair to paint all Canuck fans with that brush and I get that impression when I read a lot of this thread.

I've got no reason to lie, I've got no reason to make things up. I'm not a Canuck fan, don't have a soft spot for them, far from it, but I'm not going to pile on when I don't think a lot of the criticism is fair.

Last edited by VANFLAMESFAN; 10-07-2013 at 01:57 AM.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 02:01 AM   #64
PlayfulGenius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANFLAMESFAN View Post
I can only speak to my personal experience of dealing with Canuck fans, and I know I've said this a bunch of times here, but I've never had any major issues. And I probably deal with Canuck fans more than anyone on this board.

I go to 1-2 Flames games as a fan per season at Rogers Arena and the worst I have ever dealt with was a drunk teenage female, taking my Flames hat and running away with it. I tracked her down, got it back and everything was good.

When I'm at games, sure, I get the odd comment here or there, I get some popcorn thrown at me, but it's all in good fun. I've never feared for my safety, I've never felt the need to never come back. Maybe it's the way I come across, but I've never had anyone mess with me in a serious way when wearing my Flames jersey around town.

I work and interact with Canuck fans all the time and for the most part, it's the same. The odd idiot here or there, but nothing malicious. I actually enjoy some of the banter and I like going back and forth in debate/fun ribbing.

Again, I can only speak to my personal experience. Some of the horror stories I have read in here sound awful, but I don't think it's fair to paint all Canuck fans with that brush and I get that impression when I read a lot of this thread.

I've got no reason to lie, I've got no reason to make things up. I'm not a Canuck fan, far from it, but I'm not going to pile on when I don't think a lot of the criticism is fair.
I don't buy into all that is being said here at all...but I find it a bit surprising you haven't experienced worse at GM Place.

I've been spit on... and even punched in the face by a drunk woman!!

And only because I was wearing a Flames jersey. When I watch the game, I'm very focused and observant...I don't drink or talk to anyone, nor do I even cheer when a goal is scored...just a boring nobody that you'd never even notice...and I've had those things happen.

It's rare, of course, but I'm just surprised as I assume you've been to more games than I have.
PlayfulGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:07 AM   #65
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayfulGenius View Post
I don't buy into all that is being said here at all...but I find it a bit surprising you haven't experienced worse at GM Place.

I've been spit on... and even punched in the face by a drunk woman!!

And only because I was wearing a Flames jersey. When I watch the game, I'm very focused and observant...I don't drink or talk to anyone, nor do I even cheer when a goal is scored...just a boring nobody that you'd never even notice...and I've had those things happen.

It's rare, of course, but I'm just surprised as I assume you've been to more games than I have.
To be perfectly honest, I'm a little surprised myself that I haven't experienced worse based on horror stories that I have heard. I stand and cheer when the Flames score, I'm yelling at Flames players during the game, calling them by their first or nick name. I'm sure I come across as annoying to the people around me, but I just haven't had anything all that bad happen to me.

I generally score tickets in the lower bowl and maybe that plays a part? Upper bowl generally is a little more rowdy from what I hear/read.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:28 AM   #66
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

MOD EDIT: too much
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #67
irrevocable
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I had to deal with them all night after the game. I thought the exact same thing as the OP. Bleh, they really know how to get drunk and crazy. -_-
irrevocable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:29 AM   #68
Flames Fan in Exile
Crash and Bang Winger

Location: Vancouver, under cover Flames spy in knucklehead land
Exp:

Quote:
To be perfectly honest, I'm a little surprised myself that I haven't experienced worse based on horror stories that I have heard. I stand and cheer when the Flames score, I'm yelling at Flames players during the game, calling them by their first or nick name. I'm sure I come across as annoying to the people around me, but I just haven't had anything all that bad happen to me.

I generally score tickets in the lower bowl and maybe that plays a part? Upper bowl generally is a little more rowdy from what I hear/read.
It's the lower bowl. I annually see the flames play here in Vancouver, 2-3 times and I've done both upper and lower tickets. I will openly admit I prefer shelling out the huge ducats for the lower bowl tickets because fans there are much more civilized. Never had issues down there. It's the uppers where I have run into trouble. I refuse to go up top because I know I'm gonna find trouble there, regardless if I cheer, or sit on my hands. I think it's because Canucks can't handle their alcohol, I swear. Higher up, the less of a view, the more inclined they are to put on beer goggles and ride the smacktard train. It's also the young bloods higher up, who think it's acceptable behavior. (Hate it, I'm now of the ilk that states "these kids these days" and I'm only 45... Grarghargh)

In my experience, especially in Toronto and Calgary, they have beer sizes that are double of what they allow here at games in Vancouver. (including bc lion games.) that shows you that even team management recognizes there's a problem with the fan base. Add that alcohol to a pent up Youngblood trying to gorilla chest thump, with all that hormone kid juice into the mix... You get instant idiot. And as much as some Canuck fans here are sputtering in apparent incensed disbelief, I have complete die in the wool Canuck fan friends (one my wife, unfortunately, I'd rather she be dam leaf fan lol) who will agree with me.

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit -Aristotle
Flames Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 AM   #69
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Part of my family are devout Canucks fans and are actually not that bad, but my cousin? My goodness, he constantly talks trash, in fact a few years ago he referred Iginla as a n***** and even said "Iginla should go back to picking cotton and not picking corners". He claimed Burrows is a better player than Iginla and that he made the Sedins better players.
Your cousin should be curb stomped.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:57 AM   #70
EM11
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You have not experienced anything until you go to a Leafs-Sens game in Ottawa. Half the arena is cheering for the Leafs and it gets ugly. I have even heard that the team sent out letters to season ticket holders requesting that they not give away their tickets to Leafs fans for those games to try to combat the problem. A lot of Senators fans don't want to be at the games against Toronto to avoid the abuse.

So this may just be a sports thing based on close rivalries.
EM11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #71
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I thought they were actually more subdued than normal last night. Probably because it was the home opener, and more Flames fans kept their tickets rather than profit-take, so the real dbags (read: average Canuck fans) couldn't get in.

Even so, I wish the Flames would avoid having the Canucks scheduled for things like the home opener or fan appreciation night. I would just as soon never have to go to a game that involves those fans.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #72
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Quote:
Next game sit in the upper section and report back...if you survive.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #73
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The worst part about Canucks fans is they all smell like cigarettes.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:11 AM   #74
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Also, I saw a guy with a jersey that says 04' it was in. I wanted to ask him if he was on CP.
I saw that guy too and his jersey slightly bothers me because it is one of the new ones with piping and they didn't have them until well after the cup run.

But as for Canucks fans at the game, I find they are far more confrontational than other opposing teams fans. The Canucks fans behind us were swearing the entire game, and even picked up the pace after the father with his young daughter asked them if they could tone it down. Plus we saw a group of four getting kicked out and on the way down the stairs flipped the whole section off after throwing their beer into the crowd. And two sections over there was a fight and 2 more fans got tossed (including 2 flames fans as well).

Any other game of the year you just don't see that crap. But it's common for Canucks games now, I'd definitely never take my kids to one.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #75
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

And in terms of rivalry, you don't see the same behaviour out of Oiler fans. Which says something since they have way, way more of a little brother complex than Canuck fans right now. But they don't take it to the same extremes, and the games tend to be far more enjoyable as a result.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #76
ToraToraTora
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I was up in PL14 which was chock full of Canuckleheads. As soon as they scored that 4th goal a bunch started pitching popcorn at people in front of them. Then tears. Then cockiness.

At least one of them fell down the stairs.
ToraToraTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #77
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

To those that are saying not all Canuck fans are bad - well, yeah.

No one is saying that every Canuck fan is a DB, just that there are more than a normal, acceptable amount of them. And those bad ones tend to take DBery to a new level.

It isn't an attack on every normal human being that cheers for the Nucks. Get over it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 AM   #78
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Come on guys? Refusing to go to games because the other team's fans are mean? That says that they won.

Grow a pair and go down to show show them who the 'dome belongs to.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 09:05 AM   #79
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
To those that are saying not all Canuck fans are bad - well, yeah.

No one is saying that every Canuck fan is a DB, just that there are more than a normal, acceptable amount of them. And those bad ones tend to take DBery to a new level.

It isn't an attack on every normal human being that cheers for the Nucks. Get over it.
Well, that's certainly not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pylon View Post
I guess it can be said with 100% certainty, that it is a universal truth, that the Vancouver Canucks, and anyone associated with them, are violent, and dangerous people.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strombad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2013, 09:06 AM   #80
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
Normally Canucks fans are the worst. Obnoxious and aggressive. Tonight in Sec 224 they seemed more relaxed and less offensive. However, there were not too many.

We had an annoying flames fan who insisted on standing to block the view and refusing to sit down. We all asked him to sit down and he kept standing to goad us. He was nerdy and drunk. I hope he finds help.

Also, I saw a guy with a jersey that says 04' it was in. I wanted to ask him if he was on CP.
I sat next to that guy last year in section 205 or 206. At first I wanted to cry because it brought back bad memories. Then I wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him to live in the now. Then I thought about buying him a jersey crested with Baertschi, Brodie or another young guy. Instead I just sat quietly next to him and didn't say/do a thing.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote