Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #141
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Both brothers have criminal histories. Their lawyers have said they expect lengthy sentences.

Pre-sentence reports have been ordered for both brothers. Corey's lawyer said after the guilty plea that his client suffers from schizophrenia while Cody's lawyer said in court that his client has fetal alcohol syndrome.
I can feel sorry for these brothers as they likely never had much of a chance in life, especially the one with FAS. However, these guys will never be rehabilitated. Lock these guys up for a long time. I wouldn't mind seeing them with dangerous offender status and them not seeing the streets ever. These guys will reoffend if released.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:07 PM   #142
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel no remorse for these two douchbags. Lock them up with some violent offenders and let them take care of it. They should feel the same pain the victim did.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:13 PM   #143
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

FAS, for sure. Low IQs, for sure. Horrible upbringing, for sure. Deterministic, probably not. These guys probably didn't have a chance, but they deserve justice.

That said, I absolutely hate the revenge fantasies exhibited with almost masturbatory abandon in this thread. Lock 'em up. Hope they get bent over in the can. I want them to feel pain. Come on.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2015, 01:32 PM   #144
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn't read the whole thread but I have a question (apologies if it's already been brought up). Did all the other people that were in the house when this was going down claim to not know about it?

I can't imagine it would be easy to force someone into a house and rape them while others were present and have them not hear/see anything.

If they were there and did nothing to stop it, why aren't they being charged as well?
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:28 AM   #145
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but I have a question (apologies if it's already been brought up). Did all the other people that were in the house when this was going down claim to not know about it?

I can't imagine it would be easy to force someone into a house and rape them while others were present and have them not hear/see anything.

If they were there and did nothing to stop it, why aren't they being charged as well?
I know it's the calgary sun: http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/10/19...ary-sex-attack

Says the dad was there and warned the girl not to go down stairs but did nothing to stop it. Also mentions that the mother of one of the offenders child plus the child were in the house.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #146
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This makes me sick. I haven't heard about this story until reading it this morning here on this forum. How could there be people in the house seeing this happen and not say a word. Wow, just wow.

These guys deserve to go to jail for life, they deserve whatever they get in jail as well. Those who were in the home and didn't say a word about this to the authorities should also be charged with something, not sure what but something.

peter12 you are bang on. Learning a little bit about them, you can see that they didn't have much of a chance in life. Who's fault is that? Their parents? Can they blame the "system?" No matter what the reason, they deserve to be tried like any other criminal.

Why is it that rape isn't punished more harshly in Canada? Especially a story like this about someone who was raped repeatedly and kid napped. I can't even imagine how this sort of event would haunt a women for the rest of her life. I just can't imagine.
Old 10-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #147
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
This makes me sick. I haven't heard about this story until reading it this morning here on this forum. How could there be people in the house seeing this happen and not say a word. Wow, just wow.

These guys deserve to go to jail for life, they deserve whatever they get in jail as well. Those who were in the home and didn't say a word about this to the authorities should also be charged with something, not sure what but something.

peter12 you are bang on. Learning a little bit about them, you can see that they didn't have much of a chance in life. Who's fault is that? Their parents? Can they blame the "system?" No matter what the reason, they deserve to be tried like any other criminal.

Why is it that rape isn't punished more harshly in Canada? Especially a story like this about someone who was raped repeatedly and kid napped. I can't even imagine how this sort of event would haunt a women for the rest of her life. I just can't imagine.

It's a moot point now, but the federal Conservatives were pushing for harsher prison sentences but were met with criticism from the opposition parties who disagreed.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 01:48 AM   #148
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

dear mr manyshots, thanks for the warning. Well done dad!!!

I wonder if there is any chance he can be charged with something?
Old 10-21-2015, 07:29 AM   #149
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
It's a moot point now, but the federal Conservatives were pushing for harsher prison sentences but were met with criticism from the opposition parties who disagreed.
Now I didn't follow the election that closely as my vote was taken away as I have been out of the country for longer than 5 years. However, from most of what I recall, from well forever, the Conservatives want to pretty much increase punishment across the board including things that a great deal of people don't see as crime or anything to worry about. I don't think there is a lot of opposition to making sure violent offenders are less able to re-offend or receive sentences that line up with the crime committed.

That said, solely putting people in prison longer or having the death penalty or whatever really does very little if anything to achieve those means. A system needs meaningful attempts at rehabilitation and meaningful safety nets and in that regard the Conservatives often fall well short whenever they publish a platform. It's always about punish, punish, punish, punish and punish. The US is a prime example of how singular focus on that one aspect doesn't work. At all.

Last edited by ernie; 10-21-2015 at 07:32 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2015, 09:20 AM   #150
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Not really true. The Conservatives wanted to increase things like minimum sentences for people charged with possession of narcotics and similar crimes that have been proven to be better addressed through a rehabilitation and public health model. In fact, one of the many criticisms I had of the Conservatives' "tough on crime" stance was that their penalties for drug crimes were harsher than the penalties for sexual assault.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 06:09 PM   #151
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
July 26, 2016 5:00 am Updated: July 26, 2016 2:29 pm
Manyshots brothers’ sentencing delayed for kidnap, rape of Calgary teen

A sentencing hearing has been temporarily cut short for two brothers convicted of kidnapping and repeatedly raping a 17-year-old girl.

The judge granted a request by the defence lawyers to adjourn Tuesday’s hearing. A new date will be announced Aug. 3 for the continuation of the sentencing hearing.

The lawyers want more time to explore mental health issues relating to the Manyshots brothers; the Crown has finished its submissions.

Corey and Cody Manyshots pleaded guilty to kidnapping, uttering threats, sexual assault, and robbery. A charge of sexual assault causing bodily harm was withdrawn.

The young victim was in the courtroom and asked to have her victim impact statement read by the prosecutor on her behalf at the start of the hearing.

However, provincial court judge Terry Semenuk ruled if the victim doesn’t read the statement herself, he will not allow it to be read at all. (The law allows victim impact statements to be read by someone else, including the prosecution, but it is at the judge’s discretion).

The brothers sat emotionless in the prisoners’ box. Cody Manyshots waved to his family when he entered the room.
http://globalnews.ca/news/2847129/ma...-calgary-teen/

Whats wrong with this judge in not letting the prosecutor read the statement?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:14 PM   #152
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do they even need a victim impact statement? They kidnapped and repeatedly raped a girl.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #153
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why would the Judge not let the victim have the satisfaction of saying her piece to her attackers?

This is one of the most awful crimes in Calgary's history. I do not know why that would be taken away from the victim.
Old 07-26-2016, 06:52 PM   #154
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
http://globalnews.ca/news/2847129/ma...-calgary-teen/

Whats wrong with this judge in not letting the prosecutor read the statement?
That seems fataing evil of the judge.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #155
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Why would the Judge not let the victim have the satisfaction of saying her piece to her attackers?

This is one of the most awful crimes in Calgary's history. I do not know why that would be taken away from the victim.
I think you have it backwards. The victim did not want to read it and asked the prosecutor to read it, but the judge denied that and required the victim to read it in order for it to be admissible.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:02 PM   #156
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFR View Post
I think you have it backwards. The victim did not want to read it and asked the prosecutor to read it, but the judge denied that and required the victim to read it in order for it to be admissible.
I assumed he meant "saying" still applies if someone else reads it. And frankly I can't imagine why the judge would require the victim to read it unless he's sadistic and wants to see that poor girl have to relive that event.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2016, 07:11 PM   #157
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Evil judge is evil. WTF!?

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:13 PM   #158
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I assumed he meant "saying" still applies if someone else reads it. And frankly I can't imagine why the judge would require the victim to read it unless he's sadistic and wants to see that poor girl have to relive that event.
Yeah it's really strange. The judge said he didn't want it as part of the record of the trial because of the publication ban on the victim's name. Yet he would have allowed the victim to read it. And it is introduced into the physical evidence pile anyway. Sounds like he just wanted off work ten minutes early.

They are talking about six years with 2 and a half already served. How these two could ever be released is beyond me.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #159
Methanolic
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't understand the decision of the judge. The young girl obviously knew she would never be able to read that statement without breaking down, especially in front of those two vicious ...........

And the terms being sought by the defense is atrocious!!

http://calgaryherald.com/news/crime/...ement-in-court

Provincial court Judge Terry Semenuk would not allow Crown prosecutor Zailin Lakhoo to read the teen’s statement in open court, even though the victim had requested she do so.

Lakhoo told Semenuk the victim did not wish to read the statement herself in front of the two men who brutally assaulted her 20 months ago, brothers Corey and Cody Manyshots, and instead wanted the prosecutor to read it for her.

Semenuk questioned the authority of someone other than the victim to read in their statement but was told the Criminal Code permitted him to allow it.
Despite that, he declined to have it read by Lakhoo.
Methanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #160
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why do they even need a victim impact statement? They kidnapped and repeatedly raped a girl.
Yeah, I agree completely.

As far as I'm concerned no victim impact statement should be allowed in any case. Ever. The very concept is a blight on the justice system.

Who knows what the judge's rationale was for not allowing it in this particular one, though.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote