Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2023, 07:16 AM   #181
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Went to the Calgary premier of "299 Queen Street West" last night at Jack Singer.

Incredibly nostalgic, brought back so many memories. It leaned heavy on the dance and rap programs which was annoying but I understood that not all of the VJs agreed to participate and do voice over. Monika Deol and Rick Campanelli did a Q&A afterwards, very cool. Overall it was very well done, I enjoyed it more than I expected, almost caught me off guard. You could tell that station played a big part in the lives of everyone in the crowd, big reactions and cheers when certain people popped up on the creen.

Would have loved a mention of the Power Hour, that would have been nice. Although I still have 22 VHS tapes on my shelf right now that I can watch. Erica Ehm is incredible, yep, she was just as cute as we remember. Would have been nice if Teresa Roncon participated, she was my #1.

https://www.299queenstreetwest.com/
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 07:48 AM   #182
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
Went to the Calgary premier of "299 Queen Street West" last night at Jack Singer.

Incredibly nostalgic, brought back so many memories. It leaned heavy on the dance and rap programs which was annoying but I understood that not all of the VJs agreed to participate and do voice over. Monika Deol and Rick Campanelli did a Q&A afterwards, very cool. Overall it was very well done, I enjoyed it more than I expected, almost caught me off guard. You could tell that station played a big part in the lives of everyone in the crowd, big reactions and cheers when certain people popped up on the creen.

Would have loved a mention of the Power Hour, that would have been nice. Although I still have 22 VHS tapes on my shelf right now that I can watch. Erica Ehm is incredible, yep, she was just as cute as we remember. Would have been nice if Teresa Roncon participated, she was my #1.

Nice! I'm looking forward to seeing this. I grew up on 80s and 90s Muchmusic and have very fond memories of that time period. I discovered so many great bands just through being exposed to them on Much, and I always loved their Big Ticket concerts and the Snow Job live shows, etc... I also had a huge crush on Erica Ehm back in the day.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #183
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Big Ticket shows, forgot about that. So many programs and VJs that I had forgotten about that came flooding back.

I grew up in a small town way up north, that channel was my window to the world, I watched it a lot. Years later as a musician my band was interviewed by George Stroumboulopoulos and we played live in the studio so that was definitely very cool.

The filmmaker said the doc took 6 years to make, lot of time spent getting financing. I can't imagine how difficult it was to edit, impossible to fit everything in there and make everyone happy while also telling a story. They did get access to all of the original footage and he mentioned that Bell Media is going to pay for digitizing everything in the vault before it's lost.
The Following User Says Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2023, 11:12 AM   #184
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was an incredible doc last night.
I really enjoyed it.

And it was more than just the nostalgia. He truly captured what the culture was like during those years, and what it was like to be a music fan at the time.

As they said, you wouldn't be able to replicate it now. People will always ask whether MM could be resurrected in another form; but the world has changed, people have changed, and demands have changed. I really enjoyed how that was laid out here.
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:22 PM   #185
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, the Power Hour which became the Power 30. Pretty much only source for that kind of music other than randomly buying music with "metal" art or bands in M.E.A.T. magazine.

Did they mention where it will air after this tour is done? I'm hoping Crave because it's all Bell content I believe.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:41 AM   #186
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Metal Events Around Toronto! I think I got my hands on a copy only once but was very aware of it from the Power Hour and Power 30. Hell, I knew the name of every venue in the Toronto area that rock/metal bands toured through despite being 3,000 kms away.

I did see a Crave logo during the credits, no idea of a date though.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:47 AM   #187
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Metal Events Around Toronto! I think I got my hands on a copy only once but was very aware of it from the Power Hour and Power 30. Hell, I knew the name of every venue in the Toronto area that rock/metal bands toured through despite being 3,000 kms away.

I did see a Crave logo during the credits, no idea of a date though.
I probably still have like 20 copies of MEAT magazine, I found them sorting through stuff last winter. I used to pick them up at HMV or Music World or wherever they sold music. It's interesting to look at them now and see that some bands still are going. A lot of them were made when grunge was picking up steam and they covered some of those bands, I specifically remember Alice in Chains being in an issue.

I actually never knew it stood for Metal Event Around Toronto, so thanks for that! I always thought it was such an odd name.
Old 11-03-2023, 01:36 PM   #188
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This film is closing out the Windsor International Film Festival on Sunday night. They have said that Erica Ehm and Rick Campanelli will do a Q&A right afterwards. I didn't get tickets but I'm hoping to see it soon.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2024, 10:23 AM   #189
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

We all agree Stop Making Sense gets a pass as a doc and a concert film, yes?
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jerichozo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2024, 05:08 PM   #190
jerichozo
Backup Goalie

Exp:

One day the Youtube documentaries of Jon Bois will be taken very seriously, and History of the Seattle Mariners might be the best thing he has ever directed.
jerichozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #191
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just watched 2 of 3 episodes from BBC's The Space Shuttle That Fell to Earth.

Pretty awesome doc.
Old 04-07-2024, 10:43 PM   #192
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just watched HBO's "The Truth Vs. Alex Jones".

What these lunatics put those parents through after their children died is reprehensible. The documentary delves into the warped minds of people who believe conspiracy theories but more damning is how complete scam artist liars like Alex Jones capitalize and make money from their horse####. Same carney playbook as Donald Trump or even Joe Rogan for that matter, they commit to the lie, never admit anything and never give in inch.

I thought Alex Jones was a disgusting person when I first became aware of him, when his garbage is all laid out like this he's revealed to be absolutely loathsome. He's without a doubt one of the most vile and deplorable humans on the face of the earth.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2024, 11:21 PM   #193
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What these lunatics put those parents through after their children died is reprehensible. The documentary delves into the warped minds of people who believe conspiracy theories but more damning is how complete scam artist liars like Alex Jones capitalize and make money from their horse####. Same carney playbook as Donald Trump or even Joe Rogan for that matter, they commit to the lie, never admit anything and never give in inch.

I thought Alex Jones was a disgusting person when I first became aware of him, when his garbage is all laid out like this he's revealed to be absolutely loathsome. He's without a doubt one of the most vile and deplorable humans on the face of the earth.

I feel bad saying it, but I’ll probably feel the same kind of sense of peace and relief when he croaks as I did when Rush Limbaugh finally kicked the bucket.

To stay on track with the documentary theme, To Kill a Tiger was really good. Too bad it missed out on the Oscar. Not sure if it’s still available for free viewing on CBC.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2024, 11:46 PM   #194
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're a fan of the original 1987 Robocop movie, there's a 4-part documentary series called "Robodoc" that came out recently. I just finished watching the 2nd episode and it's really good so far. Easily one of the most exhaustive docs I've ever seen on the making of a movie. Tons of rare behind the scenes stuff and great interviews with the entire cast and crew.

Well worth checking out if you grew up watching it like I did.

direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 08:21 AM   #195
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm not going to lie, I thought it was an interesting premise and I was intrigued to learn more about it, but I'm struggling to get past the first half-hour.

How do people listen to Alex Jones and somehow take that clown seriously? Accidentally?

I mean? 'False Flag Operation' in order to take away guns?

Who in their right mind would believe that BS? Thats the dumbest s### I've ever heard coming from arguably the dumbest idiot I've ever seen.

Alex Jones is someone who has grown up in an environment where he hasnt been smacked across the face sufficiently and told to 'smarten up.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 09:57 AM   #196
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, the first half hour is tough to get through with the details of the children being shot to death and the parents recounting how things played out that day, memories of their children and their personalities. But the filmmaker is setting up how these are real people with feelings and broken lives that were made worse by this compulsive liar, snake oil salesman.

One of the mothers testifying in the Austin trial was absolutely incredible, she expressed her pain and tried to get through to Jones how much his lies and the conspiracies hurt her and her family. She pleads with him to stop lying, even when listening and looking at her, Jones isn't understanding at all. He's still in bull#### mode.

It's far more than Alex Jones being a dumb idiot, he's truly demented. There has to be some mental illness at play but he's calculated and completely dedicated to keeping up the grift, he just cannot stop lying.
Old 04-08-2024, 10:27 AM   #197
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, the first half hour is tough to get through with the details of the children being shot to death and the parents recounting how things played out that day, memories of their children and their personalities. But the filmmaker is setting up how these are real people with feelings and broken lives that were made worse by this compulsive liar, snake oil salesman.

One of the mothers testifying in the Austin trial was absolutely incredible, she expressed her pain and tried to get through to Jones how much his lies and the conspiracies hurt her and her family. She pleads with him to stop lying, even when listening and looking at her, Jones isn't understanding at all. He's still in bull#### mode.

It's far more than Alex Jones being a dumb idiot, he's truly demented. There has to be some mental illness at play but he's calculated and completely dedicated to keeping up the grift, he just cannot stop lying.
I dont think theres any mental illness. I think he's just been lying so big for so long that he understands that if he stops they're all going to catch up to him.

After Tax Season I will endeavour to power through but at the moment I just want to hold Alex Jones' head under water until the bubbles stop.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-08-2024, 08:10 PM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
If you're a fan of the original 1987 Robocop movie, there's a 4-part documentary series called "Robodoc" that came out recently. I just finished watching the 2nd episode and it's really good so far. Easily one of the most exhaustive docs I've ever seen on the making of a movie. Tons of rare behind the scenes stuff and great interviews with the entire cast and crew.

Well worth checking out if you grew up watching it like I did.

You bastard! I'm 30 minutes through E1 and this is fantastic stuff!

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2024, 09:41 AM   #199
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Robodoc is excellent. Peter Weller looks rough, although I suppose he should get a break as he's 76.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2024, 10:32 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Robodoc is excellent. Peter Weller looks rough, although I suppose he should get a break as he's 76.
Also...Peter Weller is a certifiable lunatic.

I will say this though, and maybe its just me showing my age, but man, I can be pretty cynical about movies sometimes, and while I love RoboCop, Verhoeven is cynical as hell and its great.

But moreover, the passion that all of those guys had for, what could have been, a pretty silly movie? And the fact that they turned it into this passionate work of art? That is fantastic.

Its really kind of inspiring. I love both the devotion to the material and the craft being blended with the cynicism and the 'F-it, we'll make it work and get it done' attitude.

Anyways, if you like RoboCop, I'm 2.5 episodes in and this material is fantastic!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: