Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #201
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you feel you're not getting paid enough at your job, the answer is get a new job and stop relying on guilting people into paying you for doing exactly what you're supposed to.

I worked at Calgary Golf and Country Club for two summers, 8 months in all. I cleaned clubs, organized the golf bags, and generally looked after every whim and request from the super rich members there, all for 10 dollars an hour with no tips. I could've bitched about that but at the end of the day I'm responsible for my job and I knew what the pay was like going in. The three times I actually got a tip (probably 40 bucks in total) was for going above and beyond.

I always tip blanket 15% at restaurants, but honestly the practice is stupid. Going to Australia or other places free from this mandatory tipping scourge is a eye opener on how useless it is.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #202
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
If you feel you're not getting paid enough at your job, the answer is get a new job and stop relying on guilting people into paying you for doing exactly what you're supposed to.

I worked at Calgary Golf and Country Club for two summers, 8 months in all. I cleaned clubs, organized the golf bags, and generally looked after every whim and request from the super rich members there, all for 10 dollars an hour with no tips. I could've bitched about that but at the end of the day I'm responsible for my job and I knew what the pay was like going in. The three times I actually got a tip (probably 40 bucks in total) was for going above and beyond.

I always tip blanket 15% at restaurants, but honestly the practice is stupid. Going to Australia or other places free from this mandatory tipping scourge is a eye opener on how useless it is.
I fundamentally agree with and am reducing tipping proportionately as minimum wage goes up but given the fact that our servers don't make $17 per hour right now I feel that supplementing that income with tips is reasonable.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:32 AM   #203
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I tip delivery people by answering the door in the nude.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:39 AM   #204
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
ive never tipped the full serve gas guy....

had no idea.
I have not been to a full-serve gas station in a long time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #205
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
My daughter's boyfriend pulls in (on average) $250 - $275 per night as a server at a mid-priced restaurant; and that's not including his hourly wage. He works an average of 5 nights per week as a Server because he can't find a job (graduated with a degree in Economics) in his chosen field.
He is ready to purchase a house and has stated that "this job is the best money i've ever made! It's unreal!"
If this trend continues, the universities and colleges will eventually catch on and offer degrees (or diplomas, certificates, etc). Majoring in Hospitality and minoring in Food Service.
It will happen.
Basically tax free this guy is making $31.25/hour. WTF

I don't go to a restaurant for the service. I go for the food so I don't have to cook. I wish at the Keg I could order my steak on an iPad at the table and then it notifies me when it is ready and I walk up and pick it up. I'd gladly give the cook 15% for making me a delicious meal instead of giving the majority of the tip to the person who walks between the kitchen and my table and the bar and my table.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:41 AM   #206
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Pretty much every Co-op gas bar has full serve.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #207
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
This is a bit OT, but I do see this opinion a lot and I personally think it is a silly one. With how the labor market is now, there are a limited amount of jobs that pay well and allow people to comfortably support a family. So while the idea of pulling oneself up by their bootstraps may work on a micro level, at the macro level, there will always be people forced to try and support a family by waiting tables, delivering pizza, working fast food, etc. As factory jobs continue to leave North America, the service jobs that replace them do not allow for the same paradigms related to jobs that we may be used to. It is no longer just teenagers delivering pizzas for extra cash.

Anywho, I think most of us can agree a system where goods and services have a set cost and tipping is saved for when people go above and beyond is most desirable. Unfortunately, many industries have ingrained tipping into their business model to offset costs. For me, I think we have to continue to whine and complain about how silly it all is so that companies and industries will be forced to adapt.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:46 AM   #208
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I don't even remember the last time I saw a full service station here in the states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Pretty much every Co-op gas bar has full serve.
What in the heck is a co-op gas bar? I assume its Canadian in origin?
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:59 AM   #209
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I tip delivery people by answering the door in the nude.
Just the tip?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 11:05 AM   #210
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
I normally hit up the Petro on 4th because its on my route. It's normally this nice little oldish guy working the pumps. Treat him well.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #211
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I can't believe many think it's OK to just give the pizza delivery guy a couple bucks or 10% of your ~$13 pizza order. It's ridiculous that the social standard is servers should get a minimum of 15% of the order for working in a climate controlled environment with no additional expenses related to their job.

As has been said before the pizza guy has a car payment, fuel costs, insurance costs, maintenance costs. On top of that there is environmental risks especially in bad weather. People not shovelling their walks, bad roads, maybe the odd aggressive dog, the risk of getting robbed for the small float they carry, running up and down the apartment stairwells, and waiting outside in the freezing cold for you to put your pj's on and find some money since you were too disorganized to be prepared. Logic is why should we tip. There is a delivery charge already of $3.50.

Thankfully some of us do tip well and it makes it worth their while to go to work so I don't have to trek out to pick it up.

It blows my mind how most people think food delivery service is worth less than the pretty girl serving you at the restaurant....
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 11:42 AM   #212
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post
I can't believe many think it's OK to just give the pizza delivery guy a couple bucks or 10% of your ~$13 pizza order. It's ridiculous that the social standard is servers should get a minimum of 15% of the order for working in a climate controlled environment with no additional expenses related to their job.

As has been said before the pizza guy has a car payment, fuel costs, insurance costs, maintenance costs. On top of that there is environmental risks especially in bad weather. People not shovelling their walks, bad roads, maybe the odd aggressive dog, the risk of getting robbed for the small float they carry, running up and down the apartment stairwells, and waiting outside in the freezing cold for you to put your pj's on and find some money since you were too disorganized to be prepared. Logic is why should we tip. There is a delivery charge already of $3.50.

Thankfully some of us do tip well and it makes it worth their while to go to work so I don't have to trek out to pick it up.

It blows my mind how most people think food delivery service is worth less than the pretty girl serving you at the restaurant....
This trending Reddit thread has interesting timing considering the conversation here. https://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/commen..._a_concussion/
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #213
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the major factor in that decision is the fact that typically the price of delivery is already factored in and you're paying a delivery charge.

Really though, I just want to make my decision based on the available facts. I just want someone to come to my door with food and transaction complete.

skipthedishes does this very well.

You can have this food for the agreed upon price, the driver is paid and tipped and whatnot and thats it.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 12:40 PM   #214
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Lately I've started to adopt a new practice for deciding tips. In general if it is a place that is a one off purchase (say in a 1 year or 6 month time frame) I generally don't tip or will tip on the lower end of the socially expected 'norm'. However for places that I regularly frequent I tip on the higher end of the scale.

This way I am rewarding the people of the places that I truly enjoy as I wont be going / ordering to / from a place regularly I don't like. This results in the people I tip well, see me more often, and are more likely to give me a good service in the future. Its also me syaing that I like what you do and I want you to keep doing that.

Examples: Normally I would never tip a donair / schawarma place if I've never been there or only have been there once or twice in the past. But if I go there on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, I will tip $1 or $2 (~10%).

Restaurants: Same principle, if I've never been or only once or twice I'll probably tip around 15% (or lower if the service was truly bad). But if its a place a frequent it will be more around 20%. Now if I goto a new restaurant and the server made the experience that much better I will tip on the higher end, but it has to be deserved.

Delivery Service (Food): I typically will just go pick up food but if I do get something delivered I will tip the driver but again it will be on the lower side ($2-3) for a place I don't regularly goto but will be higher for a place that I do order regularly from ($5+).

Pick Up (food): If its a new place, or a place I don't goto often. Nothing. If it is a place that I frequent I will tip 5-7%.

In the end it costs a little more than tipping social norms carte blanche but it acts as a method To Insure Prompt Service from the places I like in addition support the workers at the places I like and want to succeed.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:43 PM   #215
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I never get delivery. I get take out (with zero tip). I don't open the door for strangers unless it's halloween or a courier delivering something I purchased online.

I tip the person who cuts my hair 15% and rounded up to the nearest dollar. So in your case of a $25 haircut, I would tip $4. Same thing with cabbies and servers -- 15% rounded up to the nearest dollar. The only place I don't do that is at my favorite dim sum place -- then I tip 10% rounded up to the nearest dollar just because they charge a tea fee.
Is your dim sum place Tpot, Forbidden City, Pebble Street, Suns, or Calgary Court? If so, then the owner keeps all the tips, so I tip nothing when I go to any of his restaurants. Guy at one point bragged that he was able to buy his AMG Mercedes on tips alone.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:28 PM   #216
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGGYRULES View Post

This overreaction is ridiculous.

It's 5-20 minutes of driving, they're paid at least minimum wage, and anything more than a couple bucks on top of that is plenty to cover their associated costs.

You're making the life of a delivery driver seem like the front lines. If the job is that bad, get a different job. I know all you've done is convince me to stop getting delivery since the delivery charge apparently doesn't go to the driver and a few dollars tip when there isn't a charge is supposedly insulting.

The rules to tipping are simple, do it if you feel you should and don't if you feel you shouldn't, but whichever you choose: don't be a dick about it. No notes, no 30 rock style antics, no shaming others for how much or how little they tip, and no flaunting how much or how little you tip.

Simple.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #217
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How do you know they're paid at least minimum wage? If they get one delivery an hour that's $3.50 an hour.

Edit: and unemployment rate is very high, you make it seem like getting another job is easy peasy. "If you don't like your low paying job, get another low paying job" great advice. And someone will always have to deliver pizzas so your suggestion doesn't solve anything.

People can just be normal functioning humans and tip their delivery driver.

Last edited by calgaryblood; 12-14-2016 at 01:36 PM.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2016, 01:38 PM   #218
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
How do you know they're paid at least minimum wage? If they get one delivery an hour that's $3.50 an hour.

Because of Canadian labour laws? They don't just clock in and out every time they're driving for a delivery.

They get paid hourly, and in some places they get an amount of each delivery charge on top. If they're scheduled to work 5 hours and aren't sent home early, they make 5 hours of at least minimum wage regardless of however many deliveries they make.

On top of that, if they're scheduled for more than 3 hours they need to be paid for 3 hours regardless of time worked, if it's less, they're paid for that time (2 hours scheduled but sent home after an hour would still get paid 2 hours).
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:39 PM   #219
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Because of Canadian labour laws? They don't just clock in and out every time they're driving for a delivery.

They get paid hourly, and in some places they get an amount of each delivery charge on top. If they're scheduled to work 5 hours and aren't sent home early, they make 5 hours of at least minimum wage regardless of however many deliveries they make.

On top of that, if they're scheduled for more than 3 hours they need to be paid for 3 hours regardless of time worked, if it's less, they're paid for that time (2 hours scheduled but sent home after an hour would still get paid 2 hours).
So, so wrong. They don't get hourly rates, they're only paid per delivery.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 01:52 PM   #220
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-driver-securi...ationFlag=true
Quote:
We are currently looking for Delivery expert position in Town of Devon for Domino's Pizza location. We are paying hourly wages +milage +tips.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote