Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #1141
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Ridley and Boyega were both excellent, and at worst, mediocre. I don't see how anyone could think the acting of the leads was awful.

If anything I thought Ford was the worst of the leads. Just being himself and not a lot of "Han" going on. The most Solo-esque part he had was where he says he'll talk his way out of it like always, Chewy grunts and he goes "Yes I do!". Obviously 30 years will change a person, but I was hoping for more sarcasm.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:55 AM   #1142
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Anyone who goes to see a movie that is generally well received, knowing full well that they will hate it, deserves backlash because it just seems like trolling.

jammies straight up says he doesn't like Star Wars. Why would he even go see this then?

Moreover, I think that people who have very strict tastes in movies and hate 90% of everything they see probably have no business going to see a big budget action movie and then complaining about it later like they are surprised it wasn't the Godfather.
Most of these people that are hating on the movie, are fans of the franchise or genre:

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/star...s/user-reviews

Critics scored it 81 on average. Users scored it 68. A lot of fans were disappointed.

Last edited by troutman; 01-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 08:56 AM   #1143
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't agree at all that this movie was so well received simply because of the Star Wars branding and that people were anxious to like a Star Wars movie again. It was well received because it's a good movie genuinely worthy of widespread praise.

You don't end up with 93-96% on a site like Rotten Tomatoes - a vast conglomeration of critic and random reviews- being a crappy popcorn flick that's simply pulled the wool over everyone's eyes by yanking a few nostalgic heart strings. The prequels were generally of a poorer quality than this, and were thus more poorly received. The relationship makes sense.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:03 AM   #1144
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Most of these people that are hating on the movie, are fans of the franchise or genre:

Critics scored it 81 on average. Users scored it 68.
I've learned to not take Metacritic user reviews seriously. Too many turds giving things excessively low ratings for no good reason.

No matter what your thoughts are on this movie, there's no way it's a 0/10 unless the movie somehow killed your puppy.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codynw For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 09:14 AM   #1145
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Critics scored it 81 on average. Users scored it 68. A lot of fans were disappointed.
A lot of the negative reviews are just zeroes, which is ridiculous. Some zeros even have stuff like this:

Should have taken on the EXPANDED UNIVERSE for the trilogy. HEIR TO THE EMPIRE would have made a better Episode VII then this... I want GRAND ADMIRAL THRAWN and Mara Jade. Dont get me wrong It enjoyable but overall writing was weak. Great screen play.

Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #1146
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just read through a number of those 0 user review scores on metacritic.

...if anyone, anywhere puts any value in those reviews...crikey.

Star Wars TFA being the biggest movie of all time outweighs the lunacy of internet idiocy as far as being an indicator as to whether or not film goers/fans enjoyed the movie.

While a lot of fans may have been disappointed, a lot more fans weren't disappointed. Why pay attention to the vocal minority and act as if they're more important than all the people who did like the movie?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #1147
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Cow Disease View Post
I don't agree at all that this movie was so well received simply because of the Star Wars branding and that people were anxious to like a Star Wars movie again. It was well received because it's a good movie genuinely worthy of widespread praise.

You don't end up with 93-96% on a site like Rotten Tomatoes - a vast conglomeration of critic and random reviews- being a crappy popcorn flick that's simply pulled the wool over everyone's eyes by yanking a few nostalgic heart strings. The prequels were generally of a poorer quality than this, and were thus more poorly received. The relationship makes sense.
I don't put a lot of stock in Rotten Tomatoes, reviewers can be bought and influenced and the studios are wise to the fact that a lot of people hold RT in high regard. Blockbuster movies are almost always rated higher than what I think they should be on RT, they seem to get a 25% cushion on where I think they should be (except Mad Max, I'd give Mad Max a 97%, easy).

Remember when GTA4 came out to unanimously positive 100% reviews, but is now largely thought of as the GTA game that forgot to be fun? Reviews can't be trusted when marketing budgets exceed $200 million.

Last edited by Matata; 01-21-2016 at 09:30 AM.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #1148
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Remember #wheresren?

Well, apparently the instruction to avoid selling Rey toys was given by Disney. The logic is truly baffling here.

http://furiousfanboys.com/2016/01/st...IR1VVrkWQK1.99

For additional context:

So essentially the logic here is:

1: Our ultraconservative princess line isn't selling. We know what sells. Even though obviously we don't.
2: We shall avoid selling toys that represent the main character of one of the most succesful movies of all time.
3: Profit.

Seriously people get paid for these decisions?
Odd that they are saying princesses don't sell when Frozen broke records for toys sold and also for crap in my house
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:29 AM   #1149
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Odd that they are saying princesses don't sell when Frozen broke records for toys sold and also for crap in my house
Well Elsa is a Queen, so probably doesn't count.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:35 AM   #1150
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
I've learned to not take Metacritic user reviews seriously. Too many turds giving things excessively low ratings for no good reason.

No matter what your thoughts are on this movie, there's no way it's a 0/10 unless the movie somehow killed your puppy.
Forget about the "zeros" for a minute. Are the comments fair or unfair?

My point is it is unfair to say a non-fan like jammies can't criticize the movie. Plenty of fans and non-fans have found fault with it.

Personally, I was entertained, but was disappointed in how much it was a re-make and not a sequel. Hopefully the next episode breaks new ground.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2016, 09:41 AM   #1151
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Forget about the "zeros" for a minute. Are the comments fair or unfair?

My point is it is unfair to say a non-fan like jammies can't criticize the movie. Plenty of fans and non-fans have found fault with it.

Personally, I was entertained, but was disappointed in how much it was a re-make and not a sequel. Hopefully the next episode breaks new ground.
Some of them are fine, but some people are just complaining for no reason.

Here's one example of a terrible review on Metacritic.

Quote:
The movie was absolutely gutting and soul destroying. I am really shocked and appalled that Star Wars is now just soulless commercial product, with no heart, no wit and no intelligence evident in the mess that was presented on screen. Very, very sad and disappointed that a much loved and cherished saga has now been destroyed in a such a callous fashion.
Another one had a line "even the prequels were better than this movie" and that's just evidence that opinions can be wrong.

I just can't take Metacritic seriously.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #1152
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly it kind of feels like the toy vendors made the decision on who looked cool (Ren & Phasma) and are now trying to pass the buck since there is not enough Rey (and to some extent Finn) merchandise.

If you look at the Disney store website it doesn't look like they have an issue with Rey product, hell they even put her as the main character in the new Star Wars Disney Infinity Playset.

http://www.disneystore.com/disney/st...pPublished%3A1
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #1153
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Some of them are fine, but some people are just complaining for no reason.

Here's one example of a terrible review on Metacritic.

"The movie was absolutely gutting and soul destroying. I am really shocked and appalled that Star Wars is now just soulless commercial product, with no heart, no wit and no intelligence evident in the mess that was presented on screen. Very, very sad and disappointed that a much loved and cherished saga has now been destroyed in a such a callous fashion."

Another one had a line "even the prequels were better than this movie" and that's just evidence that opinions can be wrong.

I just can't take Metacritic seriously.
This is a perfectly valid criticism, you can support every point he makes with a logical and reasonable argument. It's only a terrible argument if it can't be supported by logic and reason.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #1154
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
This is a perfectly valid criticism, you can support every point he makes with a logical and reasonable argument. It's only a terrible argument if it can't be supported by logic and reason.
If you think the saga was destroyed by this movie and not the prequels, then that defies both logic and reason.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:53 AM   #1155
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think it's valid to say that the movie "destroyed the franchise"?

Alright, then.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #1156
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You think it's valid to say that the movie "destroyed the franchise"?

Alright, then.
He didn't say that, he was lamenting that Star Wars has become a soulless, artless, cash grab and feels betrayed as a fan of the original Saga. All perfectly logical and reasonable arguments.

I'm not sure you understand how quotations work, if you put something in quotations, it has to exist word for word in the original statement.

Last edited by Matata; 01-21-2016 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #1157
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Very, very sad and disappointed that a much loved and cherished saga has now been destroyed in a such a callous fashion"

He said the saga has been destroyed. A Saga with 7 (going on 12) movies, two successful and critically acclaimed TV shows, beloved video games, countless novels and fan fiction, comic series, etc..

You can argue it's over-commercialized and I think most would agree. But it's always been. George Lucas sold empty toy boxes to people in the 70's.

The franchise is not destroyed, and certainly not so by this movie. Look to a movie like Green Lantern for something destroying a franchise. Likely should have kicked off a DC universe, and instead was a steaming pile of crap to the point that it's star makes fun of it in his other movies.

It's the hyperbole in the statements that make it not worth taking seriously.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:19 AM   #1158
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He didn't say that, he was lamenting that Star Wars has become a soulless, artless, cash grab and feels betrayed as a fan of the original Saga. All perfectly logical and reasonable arguments.

I'm not sure you understand how quotations work, if you put something in quotations, it has to exist word for word in the original statement.
Do you want the whole sentence?

Quote:
Very, very sad and disappointed that a much loved and cherished saga has now been destroyed in a such a callous fashion.
And the comments about it being an over commercialized product would be fair, if that was a new thing. Star Wars has always been that way. Don't act like this movie ruined anything.

Last edited by codynw; 01-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:25 AM   #1159
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the second time my thoughts were expressed by someone else before I finished typing.
Old 01-21-2016, 10:33 AM   #1160
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It's obviously a very personal review, he doesn't think the Star Wars brand is no longer profitable (no one on the planet thinks that). He's upset that what he loved about Star Wars is gone and has been replaced with a commercial product that he has no interest in.