Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #161
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

My son plays out of Airdrie with Foothills and absolutely loves it. He did his first spring season there last year and is really excited for this upcoming year. The travel seems reasonable so far and the other parents were pretty cool. They do use local coaches and I felt the coaching team was fine. I did not notice any improvement in my son's game until minor hockey started again and then it became apparent.

I don't expect him to make the NHL, but it gives my son more time at something he loves. I have told him if he ever wants to stop he has my support to stop. I'm a parent that never talks to my son about his play unless he's had a good game or unless he initiates the conversation, though. Really want to make sure I never ruin his passion.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #162
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
CalgaryGeologist,

My son played in SpringHockey.ca last spring. A few observations:
- For spring hockey, it is (was) quite affordable
- Reasonable ice times, mostly at Southland Liesure Center
- A mix of practices and full ice time games.
- Volunteer Dads as coaches, just like Timbits
- The quality of hockey is just like Timbits
- Due to the volunteer aspect of it, how much your son improves will be luck of the draw, just like Timbits. You may get a great coach, and you may get a kind hearted Dad who is doing his best.
- In the end, any ice time is great when your 6
- My son had a great time. Loved the full ice games of an hour in length.

If you have any specific questions, fire me a PM.
Good to know. Were there many additional expenses above and beyond the $500 registration fee? Do you live in the deep south which is why you played a lot at Southland? I'm somewhat concerned about the rinks. I don't want to be driving to Southland or Max Bell or Village Square from the NW during rush hour to get to hockey. It says they try to keep the rink selection close to your home community though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 08:35 AM   #163
Tacoman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I've got two boys that have gone through the early years and have become very good players - both playing quadrant hockey in Bantam. My advice to you and your son at the Timbit level is to focus on skating. If you are an elite skater at an early age, you will almost undoubtedly succeed later on. So put him in summer figure skating classes (forget the stupid stereotypes - most NHl players have done it!) so that his edge work is better than anyone else's. I would leave the spring hockey for another couple of years and really focus on the skating.

Every evaluator at every level is looking for the best skaters and his confidence on the ice will be much higher if he's the best skater.

That would be my advice for what it's worth.
Tacoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tacoman For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #164
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Instead of starting a new thread this one came up in a search and I figured it was best to put my questions here (I haven't read the full thread.)

My kid just started his first year of Timbits hockey. He is the youngest on his team and pretty inexperienced and as such he is towards the lower end of skill and development. Like everyone he just needs more time to develop. I think it would be good for him to do some additional hockey in the upcoming off season.

His coach actually sent out an email to the team today with info on Calgary Spring hockey (http://springhockey.ca/league.php?sc...16350&cache=no) I wouldn't mind signing my kid up for this if it was actually focused on providing the necessary level of development to improve his game. Is anyone familiar with this program at the Timbit (Initiation) level? I know there are a lot of summer camps as well which is another option. A couple of parents have mentioned that the summer camps at WinSport are really good.

What should I consider for my kid in the off season to help improve his skating and puck skills? I want something that will actually be beneficial and not just something where he is just another body on the ice or bench that is generating revenue for the program.
I would guess if your son is 1st year a little bit behind his teammates in development. A hockey camp would be better for him, if you find the right ones you will get real coaches we have coached vary high levels of hockey professionally, the focus will be on practice/skill development rather than games, and the condensed schedule (probably 12 ice times in 6 days) will kind of be like cramming for a test which any other hockey program cannot offer.

My nephew went to an out of town camp at that age, he was the youngest player there by almost 2 years but he made huge strides in that week. He also did foothills spring league, and I don't was the same increase in hokey skills.

Participating in a different sport in the spring, like soccer, baseball, or even doing something with you, like hiking or swimming. will do allot for his coordination.

Athletes with various skill sets often have better balance and coordination.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:23 PM   #165
mccalgary71
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Let your kids have a break and expose them to other sports. They'll become better overall athletes. Not all kids will ask because as far as they're concerned, hockey is all that matters but they usually love the other sports afterwards.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
mccalgary71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mccalgary71 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #166
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My nephew is 11, and is very, very good as a defenceman.
Last year, his mom was approached by Alberta hockey (or equivelant org). They wanted a 10 year old, to billet with a family in Edmonton for the season. And practices were $300 each.
My sister in law declined the invite. Not so much for the expense, but she didnt want to lose her 10 year old for the season.
Tons of commitment required by parents of children playing in a higher end league.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 09:20 PM   #167
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Last year, his mom was approached by Alberta hockey (or equivelant org). They wanted a 10 year old, to billet with a family in Edmonton for the season. And practices were $300 each.
My sister in law declined the invite. Not so much for the expense, but she didnt want to lose her 10 year old for the season.
Tons of commitment required by parents of children playing in a higher end league.
well this makes no sense at all...
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:24 PM   #168
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
This is not something Hockey AB would do, and there is no equivalent, not sure what program you would be referring to. But just wait untill next year when POE comes calling to the tune of 40k and want a 13yr old to move to Kelowna. These hockey academies are nuts.

As I've said before, the top kids in each age group are playing year round hockey, and in the recent few years, kids of all skill levels have joined in to. Spring hockey is no different then club volleyball, or even golf and baseball which have year round programs everywhere in North America. Hockey is just under the microscope so much more. Spring hockey also offers more competition for the younger kids living in rural areas where they are not exposed to equal competition. Having been involved in spring hockey for 10 years now my biggest advice is to seriously consider reputable power skating programs which are a much more long term benefit then any spring hockey operation (if you are looking to hone elite talent). Of course if you can afford both, then go for it.

Spring hockey can also be very cut throat to, the butt kissing and politicking cannot be matched anywhere. There is no "governing body" so really anything goes as all the programs are in dependantly run and players can play anywhere their parents want them to, and the really good ones will not have to pay a dime of they don't want to.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 01-18-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:52 PM   #169
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
This is not something Hockey AB would do, and there is no equivalent, not sure what program you would be referring to. But just wait untill next year when POE comes calling to the tune of 40k and want a 13yr old to move to Kelowna. These hockey academies are nuts.
Sounds like Team Alberta. Google that or Serdachny. Their team destroyed everyone they played in any tournament last year when I saw them.

Lots of programs out there to take your money, it all depends on how much you want to spend!
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #170
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Instead of starting a new thread this one came up in a search and I figured it was best to put my questions here (I haven't read the full thread.)

My kid just started his first year of Timbits hockey. He is the youngest on his team and pretty inexperienced and as such he is towards the lower end of skill and development. Like everyone he just needs more time to develop. I think it would be good for him to do some additional hockey in the upcoming off season.

His coach actually sent out an email to the team today with info on Calgary Spring hockey (http://springhockey.ca/league.php?sc...16350&cache=no) I wouldn't mind signing my kid up for this if it was actually focused on providing the necessary level of development to improve his game. Is anyone familiar with this program at the Timbit (Initiation) level? I know there are a lot of summer camps as well which is another option. A couple of parents have mentioned that the summer camps at WinSport are really good.

What should I consider for my kid in the off season to help improve his skating and puck skills? I want something that will actually be beneficial and not just something where he is just another body on the ice or bench that is generating revenue for the program.
How old is your son? Four or Five? I would just concentrate on skating if he is this young. Canskate is great, and I highly recommend it. If he is a more advanced skater, put him in Can Power skate. (There is no shame in having your son take skating lessons that doesn't involve hockey equipment and hockey sticks. It pisses me off when I see kids in Power skating that can barely stand up. Learn the basics first and then move into power skating)

Take the time to play with him in the driveway, garage, basement or out door rink to work on his shooting, passing, and stick handling. Make sure to make it fun, kids at that age will lose interest real fast if you take it to seriously. You can easily tell at that age which parents take the time to play with their kids and which don't.

As for spring hockey? My son played his first season last year as a seven year old (2007 birth year). It really helped him develop his skills and at evaluations for Novice in Red Deer back in October, he was ranked in the highest group as a first year player (top 20).
Old 01-19-2015, 12:16 PM   #171
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
How old is your son? Four or Five? I would just concentrate on skating if he is this young. Canskate is great, and I highly recommend it. If he is a more advanced skater, put him in Can Power skate. (There is no shame in having your son take skating lessons that doesn't involve hockey equipment and hockey sticks. It pisses me off when I see kids in Power skating that can barely stand up. Learn the basics first and then move into power skating)

Take the time to play with him in the driveway, garage, basement or out door rink to work on his shooting, passing, and stick handling. Make sure to make it fun, kids at that age will lose interest real fast if you take it to seriously. You can easily tell at that age which parents take the time to play with their kids and which don't.

As for spring hockey? My son played his first season last year as a seven year old (2007 birth year). It really helped him develop his skills and at evaluations for Novice in Red Deer back in October, he was ranked in the highest group as a first year player (top 20).
He just turned 5 in December. He typically has Timbits hockey three times a week and we usually hit the outdoor rink one night a week (depending on conditions and weather.) He also has one of those roller bearing pucks that he uses outside periodically to practice stick handling and shooting.

I think holding off on Spring Hockey is a good idea at this point and instead we'll look for some summer hockey/skating camps.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #172
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He also has one of those roller bearing pucks that he uses outside periodically to practice stick handling and shooting.
^ this!!! do not underestimate how much this can help, becasue 98% of his peers will psend thier time making their thumbs more musclular playing on video games, while a small minority of kids will spend time working on their hand skills
Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #173
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Always be cautious when considering a program with entry costs over $1000. Ask yourself what is the owners motivation (profit-player development)? Many teams use the allure of fancy new gear-helmets, gloves, pants, bags, hoodies for mommy and daddy, and AAA or Elite pasted everywhere. Usually this is done as window dressing to hide the lack of substance in that program.

The biggest thing to consider when joining a spring team is who is coaching. Player development should always be the first priority when choosing spring hockey. Ask questions on the coaches background. Past or current pro players/coaches ideally but if not ask about your coaches experience otherwise. If your coach does not have pro experience does the program offer pro assistance or instruction at practice.

If you are satisfied that player development is the focus then look into the cost. If the program is based on development the costs will usually cover expenses (ice rental, insurance, tourney fee...) and nothing more except a small admin fee.

These types of programs are ideal and can be done for well under a $1000. The only trouble is they are more difficult to find because they typically don't advertise as it is not a business for profit like others are.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroCop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 01:50 PM   #174
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He just turned 5 in December. He typically has Timbits hockey three times a week and we usually hit the outdoor rink one night a week (depending on conditions and weather.) He also has one of those roller bearing pucks that he uses outside periodically to practice stick handling and shooting.

I think holding off on Spring Hockey is a good idea at this point and instead we'll look for some summer hockey/skating camps.
I don't think there is a spring league for kids that young anyway. Put him in a hockey school this summer. The one thing we have done the last two years with our son in Red Deer, is put him in a Can Power Skate camp for two weeks in September. That gets him into the grove before evaluations start in October. We also use Val Norrie Power Skating once a week throughout the season.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #175
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just had a long discussion about this over lunch.

I am not a supporter of spring hockey.

I agree with the poster that said figure skating. We have a family friend that is an NHL scout, he is all over kids going in figure skating.

I wonder if anyone else heard the 960 interview the other morning with Joe Nieuwendyk? He was pretty solid on the side of letting kids play sports other than hockey, mentioned that once his son's season ends that is it.

burn_baby_burn, I think the rustlers/generals have a program that young don't they?

BTW, Val is awesome, both my kids have done the programs and learnt a lot.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:35 PM   #176
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
I don't think there is a spring league for kids that young anyway. Put him in a hockey school this summer. The one thing we have done the last two years with our son in Red Deer, is put him in a Can Power Skate camp for two weeks in September. That gets him into the grove before evaluations start in October. We also use Val Norrie Power Skating once a week throughout the season.
The link that I provided (http://springhockey.ca/league.php?sc...leagueID=16350) does a Timbits level program/league.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:38 PM   #177
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Figure skating, hockey/skating camp (a one or two week deal - Invermere has one I know of). Lacrosse, soccer (indoor more mimics hockey).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:42 PM   #178
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I do not think there is anywhere near 100,000 kids in minor hockey in Calgary. I think the number is a fraction of that - 13,000 is a number I've heard

I would think the 1 in 100,000 comment was simply managing parents' expectations
The fact that parents have those sort of "expectations" is downright pathetic.

As an adult, you should know better than thinking professional sports is a viable route for your kids growth. It's supposed to be a fun game they enjoy that keeps them active, not a career path.

Some parents need a slap.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:46 PM   #179
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The fact that parents have those sort of "expectations" is downright pathetic.

As an adult, you should know better than thinking professional sports is a viable route for your kids growth. It's supposed to be a fun game they enjoy that keeps them active, not a career path.

Some parents need a slap.

A slap is the least of what many parents need.

This season I experienced first hand the stupidity that is "sports parent".

A 43 I no longer engage in street fights, however, I considered making an exception.

All this spring/elite hockey preys on parents that think they have to do this for their kids or those that think their kids is "The Next One".

It is sad the amount of financial strain parents will subject themselves to.....

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #180
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I just had a long discussion about this over lunch.

burn_baby_burn, I think the rustlers/generals have a program that young don't they?
2008 birth year will be the youngest.