Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #141
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The stampede challenge/champions cup guy is apparently a greasy mutha. Please expand on the stories!!!
They switched us from Silver to Gold and didn't even tell us about it. One of the parents noticed on the website that our schedules didn't match today. The organizers were not sure why we were not notified. What an ass.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #142
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post

He really thrives on the "un sanctioning" of spring hockey and runs things however he sees fit. He has been around for a long time and has secured himself prime week end rentals in prime locations. And he knows how parents are nowadays towards their children and cashes in big time on it.
There could be ways around it. Since spring hockey is unsanctioned, maybe some of us could organize a tournament in Red Deer or Lethbridge. Have lower entry fee's and better prizes to entice some teams. Competition is always a good thing.
Old 06-05-2014, 06:54 PM   #143
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
There could be ways around it. Since spring hockey is unsanctioned, maybe some of us could organize a tournament in Red Deer or Lethbridge. Have lower entry fee's and better prizes to entice some teams. Competition is always a good thing.
We did one here in Lethbridge last two May longs (2012+2013)for just 2001's. Got 8 teams and it was very competitve for the most part (Jr Hitmen, Edm Mercurys, Sask Huskies). The thing is these are a lot of work to put on and this year the parents decided to go to Vancouver instead of doing the work to put on a tournament again. The coach also has some really good contacts throughout Western Canada which really helped in getting some of the teams. You can make money. The thing with hockey though is that so much of it is about keeping up with the Jones's and going to Winnipeg sounds so much better then going to Lethbridge.

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-05-2014 at 06:59 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:03 PM   #144
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
He has perfected exploiting everyone from the parents, to outside vendors. Cutting deals with hotels forcing teams to stay at certain places or banishing them from the tourney. Sub letting kiosk space inside arena lobbies for vendors.

Couldn't have laid it out any better.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RinkRat For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2014, 12:47 PM   #145
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We did one here in Lethbridge last two May longs (2012+2013)for just 2001's. Got 8 teams and it was very competitve for the most part (Jr Hitmen, Edm Mercurys, Sask Huskies). The thing is these are a lot of work to put on and this year the parents decided to go to Vancouver instead of doing the work to put on a tournament again. The coach also has some really good contacts throughout Western Canada which really helped in getting some of the teams. You can make money. The thing with hockey though is that so much of it is about keeping up with the Jones's and going to Winnipeg sounds so much better then going to Lethbridge.
I want to do one the same weekend as the Stampede Challenge. Not to impressed with how we got screwed.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:32 PM   #146
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I want to do one the same weekend as the Stampede Challenge. Not to impressed with how we got screwed.
That's weird, our team was notified of schedule changes.

My understanding is each of the gold entries get at least 5 games, whereas the silver ones only get a minimum of 4, so at least your boy is getting extra ice time.

As for your game against Team Alberta, most teams get rolled by them so don't feel so bad. I can tell you something is definitely odd to me though with team placements because Havoc is playing in silver when they should be gold. Then again I know Havoc prides themselves on winning medals over player development so that could be a part of that...

As for doing our own tournament, we'd likely be interested, but it's tough not to be in the Stampede Challenge which has been running for a long time (even if it's done poorly).
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #147
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegee View Post
That's weird, our team was notified of schedule changes.

My understanding is each of the gold entries get at least 5 games, whereas the silver ones only get a minimum of 4, so at least your boy is getting extra ice time.

As for your game against Team Alberta, most teams get rolled by them so don't feel so bad. I can tell you something is definitely odd to me though with team placements because Havoc is playing in silver when they should be gold. Then again I know Havoc prides themselves on winning medals over player development so that could be a part of that...

As for doing our own tournament, we'd likely be interested, but it's tough not to be in the Stampede Challenge which has been running for a long time (even if it's done poorly).
I remember the Stampede Challenge... My buddy and I used to ref games for them when we were in high school. One game saw a team from BC that wasn't used to hitting going up against an Alberta team that was. The BC kids wanted to show how tough they were, and the result was a cavalcade of high hits, sticks, arms, elbows up, all in the facial area, and a parade to the penalty box ensued.

In the second intermission, the tournament organizer, a man named Kelly, came down and informed us that "there's a former NHL player up in the lounge who says this is the worst officiated game he's ever seen". We offer to put the whistles away for the first five minutes of the 3rd, to which he replies 'If someone gets hurt out there, I'll kill you'.

After the game, we collected our $35 bucks, told Kelly we would not be skating the other six games we were scheduled over the next two days, and walked away.

Cue the Cool Story Bro if you must, but it's 8pm on a Friday in June. I've got nothing else to do.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #148
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Now that I think about it a little more, the Showdown in Cowtown was run by the greasy mutha and the Stampede Challenge was run by Foothills Elite or "Kelly". Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't been to either in a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if the two joined forces to put these tourneys on. I know running the Stampede Challenge really stressed the bee jeepers out of "Kelly".

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 06-06-2014 at 09:36 PM.
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #149
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brian Serniak
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:16 AM   #150
RinkRat
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Now that I think about it a little more, the Showdown in Cowtown was run by the greasy mutha and the Stampede Challenge was run by Foothills Elite or "Kelly". Not sure if that is still the case or not, haven't been to either in a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if the two joined forces to put these tourneys on. I know running the Stampede Challenge really stressed the bee jeepers out of "Kelly".
They were originally together on the Showdown in Cowtown, Kelly sold his stake to the Vegas Scumbag a few years ago, and I believe Kelly has since sold off his Stampede Challenge tourney to the same man, but his son is still involved last I checked.
RinkRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #151
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you're around say hello. I'm the bigger guy in a Stamps jacket with red hair. Next game is at 6 for us so I'll be around. Should introduce ourselves to talk about a tournament next year.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:08 PM   #152
mhsyyc
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i guy i coached with last year had oput two of his boys through the Calgary Buffaloes organization at a cost of probably $25,000. one of his boys was drafted intot he dub, so perhaps he gets the moeny back in the form of a scholarship.......

i find this subject most interesting as my son is 10 and a goalie. Just this year, we bought new skates (because he was having trouble with the used ones I bought him), he rec'd new pads for christmas plus he has going to GDI lately to train - plus he had three different summer hockey things.

I'd estimate our investment in his season so far as $2,600 or so.......
Shame on you for viewing this as an investment. You spent $2,600 this year on your son's past time. Nothing more, nothing else. If you view this as an investment you're doing him a huge disservice and setting yourself up for a long and hard fall back to reality
mhsyyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:44 PM   #153
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why on earth is this thread still in Fire on Ice?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #154
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsyyc View Post
Shame on you for viewing this as an investment. You spent $2,600 this year on your son's past time. Nothing more, nothing else. If you view this as an investment you're doing him a huge disservice and setting yourself up for a long and hard fall back to reality

sorry, i should ahve had "investment" in quotes or green text. if my son ever get good enough to make AA i'd be very happy for him, if that is what he wants.

i try and push him to give his maximum effort when he is out on the ice.....the reality is that if you play goalie for one of the associations here in Calgary, you need to stay in the Top 8 group as you get older in order to continue to play goal as the number of teams shrinks.

when i fall, it will be a short tumble
Old 06-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #155
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump, cuz i think this is an important topic

http://howtohockey.com/why-you-shoul...er-than-hockey

I will say I don't know the validity of the site, but the points are good, IMO.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #156
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Bump, cuz i think this is an important topic

http://howtohockey.com/why-you-shoul...er-than-hockey

I will say I don't know the validity of the site, but the points are good, IMO.
Is this "playing other sports" movment only targeted at hockey? Or do we hear the same argument in the soccer community or other sports communities? I have been talking to a few different parents who have their kids in "other sports" and it sounds like the time commitment to hockey is almost nothing compared to a traveling Soccer team, or figure skating, gymnastics, or even baton twirling. I read an article the other day how Canada needs to be more like Brazil where the kids play soccer in the street constantly? So playing hockey too much is bad, but playing soccer all the time is good?

I do agree, I have my seven year old in baseball. We play football in the backyard alot when the weather is nice (I might even see if he wants to play organized football when he is old enough next year, as long as it doesn't interfer with hockey ). He also likes shooting baskets (again, when the weather is nice).

How many kids don't play sports at all? Isn't that a larger concern?
Old 06-27-2014, 11:39 AM   #157
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i think in canada things are naturally skewed towards hockey - i think kids should have an off season from thier primary sport to play other sports, or just be kids......

you could take that link that undercoverbrother posted, replace hockey with soccer and it is still relevant....
Old 01-17-2015, 08:27 PM   #158
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of starting a new thread this one came up in a search and I figured it was best to put my questions here (I haven't read the full thread.)

My kid just started his first year of Timbits hockey. He is the youngest on his team and pretty inexperienced and as such he is towards the lower end of skill and development. Like everyone he just needs more time to develop. I think it would be good for him to do some additional hockey in the upcoming off season.

His coach actually sent out an email to the team today with info on Calgary Spring hockey (http://springhockey.ca/league.php?sc...16350&cache=no) I wouldn't mind signing my kid up for this if it was actually focused on providing the necessary level of development to improve his game. Is anyone familiar with this program at the Timbit (Initiation) level? I know there are a lot of summer camps as well which is another option. A couple of parents have mentioned that the summer camps at WinSport are really good.

What should I consider for my kid in the off season to help improve his skating and puck skills? I want something that will actually be beneficial and not just something where he is just another body on the ice or bench that is generating revenue for the program.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #159
BEANZ
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I would suggest power skating and then something that is not hockey. Maybe try lacrosse which is great for hand eye coordination or some other high pace sport.

Year round hockey is crazy and even for kids who love it is producing extremely high drop out/ burn out rates.
BEANZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BEANZ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2015, 01:22 AM   #160
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

CalgaryGeologist,

My son played in SpringHockey.ca last spring. A few observations:
- For spring hockey, it is (was) quite affordable
- Reasonable ice times, mostly at Southland Liesure Center
- A mix of practices and full ice time games.
- Volunteer Dads as coaches, just like Timbits
- The quality of hockey is just like Timbits
- Due to the volunteer aspect of it, how much your son improves will be luck of the draw, just like Timbits. You may get a great coach, and you may get a kind hearted Dad who is doing his best.
- In the end, any ice time is great when your 6
- My son had a great time. Loved the full ice games of an hour in length.

If you have any specific questions, fire me a PM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote