Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck's Connected GM League > PS3 GMs
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Exclamation What is Text+, and why should I use it?

Took this from the previous Text+ username thread. Since it's been combined into one big list, I thought I would toss this into it's own post.

Quote:
Simply put, TextPlus is basically an instant-messaging app for your smartphone, kind of like Google Talk or WhatsApp. The difference with TextPlus though, is you get issued an Alberta (generally 587) phone number, so you can text your friends just as you would traditionally. I think it was originally meant for people who had an iPad or iPod Touch (not an actual phone) and still wanted to text. It's sort of expanded into a full-on messaging client, and if you pay them money for minutes (similar to Skype) then you can make phone calls with it as well. But I digress.

Anyway, we were discussing the possibility of a mobile app for us to use within our leagues for communicating with other GM's on trades and such. That was sort of becoming into a project for re-inventing the wheel, and TextPlus presented a nice solution.

Basically, you install TextPlus on your phone. Search for TextPlus in your favorite app store/market. At least on the Google Play store for Android, there's a free version. You register for an account, and you get a phone number and pick a username. You can create one and just use it for everything, or if you prefer to keep CalgaryPuck separate, you can make one for your personal contacts, and one just for the use of GM Connected.

Once you've got it all setup, add your TextPlus username to your forum signature, and post it in the general discussion thread. If you want to send another GM a trade proposal, you shoot off a message to him in TextPlus, and if he's got his phone nearby, he'll get it instantly, and he can reply to you instantly. Several of us find that it's much easier than sending forum PM's back and forth on CalgaryPuck.

We've also got a group chat setup on there, so we can all communicate with each other at once, so messages about available players or league news can be sent out quickly.

It's not required to use it by any means, but hey, the more people that use it, the better the experience for everybody. Not everyone is going to check their e-mail or forum PM's all the time, but if you get a text message on your phone, you might be more inclined to reply to it, and it feels more like instant messaging. Best of all, it's free!

TL;DR...download TextPlus on your phone and put your username in your signature. Use it to get league news, communicate with other GM's, and discuss trades. It's way easier than using PM's to discuss trades, and we are all using it, so get it. Thanks.

Last edited by Stealth22; 09-04-2013 at 11:37 PM.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
jedaco
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Text+ for iPhone tips:
  • signup with a username (like your CP or PSN) instead of a team name
  • make your name the team name (eg. First Name: Dallas Last Name: Stars GM)
  • select your team logo for your profile picture

jedaco is offline   Reply With Quote