Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 11:57 AM   #1101
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boosterjuice View Post
I've never used my bike to commute. Luckily, I'm really close now (6.5 km) so it's a no-brainer.

My new bike: Giant Seek 1 with Alfine 8-speed internal gear shifting.

Looking for advice on supplementary gear.
-Do you guys where a back pack for your work belongings or is it better to get a rear wheel attach bag?
-What are the laws regarding reflective front/rear beacons on bikes?
I prefer the bike rack on the back, with a couple of panniers. Most of the time I only need one pannier, but I'd rather that setup than having a back pack. I find a back pack pulls too much on my shoulders, is a little uncomfortable and increases my sweat.

I keep almost all of my dress clothes at work and then go to the gym to shower once I'm there. If my clothes weren't at work, I'm not sure I'd bike. I wouldn't want my suits and shirts to get wrinkled, wet, dirty on the ride in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:05 PM   #1102
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I've never used my bike to commute. Luckily, I'm really close now (6.5 km) so it's a no-brainer.

My new bike: Giant Seek 1 with Alfine 8-speed internal gear shifting.

Looking for advice on supplementary gear.
-Do you guys where a back pack for your work belongings or is it better to get a rear wheel attach bag?
-What are the laws regarding reflective front/rear beacons on bikes?
Nice bike. I'd own one if they made them bigger.

I think the law is just to have reflectors. I just throw a cheap MEC red turtle light on the back and a white one up front.

I find headlights on bikes REALLY annoying. They are super blinding for everyone else and completely unecessary in the city.

I like panniers for sweat factor.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #1103
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Sounds like a bike rack and pannier is the way to go! I'll post back with pics once I get going.
Old 03-18-2014, 12:16 PM   #1104
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
At 6.5km make sure you've got some good fenders, ride slow and just wear your work clothes. At a very casual pace that's a 20 minute ride vs. a 12 minute ride with shower and change time if you push it.

http://www.calgarycyclechic.com/
I have a 5k downhill commute so I just coast in. When it is rainy and cool I just throw on wind pants and wind jacket and that keeps me from getting dirty without fenders. I usually bring a change of clothes for the ride home as being uphill I tend to sweat a lot. Not having to shower or change in the morning is a great time saver and then you just shower after work when you get home.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #1105
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Nice bike. I'd own one if they made them bigger.

I think the law is just to have reflectors. I just throw a cheap MEC red turtle light on the back and a white one up front.

I find headlights on bikes REALLY annoying. They are super blinding for everyone else and completely unecessary in the city.

I like panniers for sweat factor.
Disagree. They're totally necessary so cars don't run your ass over. You can never have enough illumination.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2014, 11:08 AM   #1106
boosterjuice
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So much for biking to work this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #1107
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So much for biking to work this week.
Disagree! If you're 6.5km away, you can easily bike during the winter (I haven't missed a day yet, yes that includes the -35 day)

Your Seek (great bike by the way, would have gone there if they had Alfine 11) might have slicks on it which makes not coming in on it understandable right now. Consider a semi slick which even I made work in the winter for several years, before going to dedicated summer/winter tires.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2014, 01:19 PM   #1108
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i also was ready to start riding to work this week - even went last week and bought new shirts and tights but -10 is a little to cold for me yet, and who wants to be dealing with ice in the morning on the pathway.......
Old 03-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #1109
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Is Bow Cycles Blue Light Special really worth it? I'm tempted to go pick up a few things (multi-tool, computer, etc) but I'm not really sure if things like that are worth waiting around all day for. Should I just shop online?

Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #1110
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
Is Bow Cycles Blue Light Special really worth it? I'm tempted to go pick up a few things (multi-tool, computer, etc) but I'm not really sure if things like that are worth waiting around all day for. Should I just shop online?
Yup, you can get some pretty awesome deals at that thing.
There is a schedule of when things go on sale, so you don't really have to wait around all day. Usually if you show up a little bit before the items you want go on sale you should be just fine. Munti tool for sure, computer might be limited, so show up accordingly.

My general rule of thumb is that if the local shop can get close to on line, I'll buy from them, this is a great opportunity to get some deals, and support your local shop.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:58 AM   #1111
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chariots almost never go on sale, so if you're in the market that's your only opportunity. I still got a far better deal going the used Kijiji route though.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:45 PM   #1112
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
you always want to support your LBS if possible, but sometimes it is not.

bought new brakes for my MTB this spring - price at LBS was $225 - price at Chain Reaction cycles $98. Ice-Tech Rotors at CRC $40 vs $90 at LBS....
Old 03-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #1113
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Disagree. They're totally necessary so cars don't run your ass over. You can never have enough illumination.
Sorry, I should have specified this is on the Riverwalk.

I'll never argue with someone lit up like a Christmas tree on the road.

I've almost run over pedestrians because I'm completely blinded by ridiculously bright headlights on the pathways though.

In other news, just ordered these. Pretty excited!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/c.../rp-prod113733

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #1114
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
you always want to support your LBS if possible, but sometimes it is not.

bought new brakes for my MTB this spring - price at LBS was $225 - price at Chain Reaction cycles $98. Ice-Tech Rotors at CRC $40 vs $90 at LBS....

A lot of times LBS won't carry or is out of stock of items you need so it is hard to not do as they do and take it to the net. Chain Reactions, On One, Jenson, Bikes Direct, Planet X, Nashbar, Bike Island, MEC.ca I haven't had a bad experience with any of the above.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:14 AM   #1115
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't really understand the "Support your LBS" sentiment.

I won't go into a store, check something out, and then turn around and order it online.

But for example, the above wheels are $1000 in Calgary, and less than $500 online. I don't think I really need to support the LBS when their markup hits the 150% territory.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #1116
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a good hybrid that I like for getting around the city but I want to start getting into both road biking and trail/mountain biking.

Do any of you have advice on purchasing one or both of decent entry levels for either activity (used I imagine is preferable)?
Old 03-28-2014, 10:55 AM   #1117
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definately some deals to be had at Bow Cycle this weekend. Chariot and Thule almost never goes on sale for instance. I'd love a Cannondale Quick.....

Item QTY Reg. Price Sale Price
Saturday Only Bikes
2013 Norco Charger 9.3 Forma Black/Purple 25 $714.99 $539.99
2013 Norco XFR 2 Forma Black/Cyan 26 $904.99 $659.99
2013 Cannondale Quick CX 1 Raw 14 $1499.99 $999.99
2012 Norco Valence Carbon Ultegra Di2 Silver/Blue 13 $5749.99 $2999.99
2014 Ridley X-Bow Disc 105 Black/Red 27 $1699.99 $1249.99
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29 Black/Lime 7 $2749.99 $1899.99
2013 Specialized Camber Comp 29 Red/White 20 $2749.99 $1899.99
2012 Kona Kahuna 29 Dark Blue 28 $1299.99 $799.99
Sunday Only Bikes
2013 Specialized Vita Sport Crimson/White 24 $709.99 $539.99
2013 Specialized Sirrus Elite Silver/Black/Red 37 $879.99 $639.99
2013 Cannondale Scalpel 4 29 Black 20 $2649.99 $1799.99
2013 Specialized Enduro FSR EVO 26 Black 15 $3169.99 $1999.99
2013 Specialized Carve Expert 29 Cyan/Orange/Black 19 $1899.99 $1399.99
HOURLY SALES

Time Item Discount Limits
Saturday
11am to 12 noon Tools & Repair stands 40% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
12 noon to 1 pm Computers, HR monitors, GPS 30% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
1 pm to 2 pm Helmets 50% off 1 per customer
2 pm to 3pm All Tires 40% off 6 per customer
3 pm to 4 pm Lights 30% off 2 per customer
4 pm to 5 pm Chariot 25% off 1 per customer
Sunday
11am to 12 noon Sugoi Clothing 50% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
12 noon to 1 pm Thule 35% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
1 pm to 2 pm Gloves 50% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
2 pm to 3pm Pumps 40% off 1 per customer
3 pm to 4 pm Trainers 30% off 1 per customer
4 pm to 5 pm Pedals 30% off BC Reserves the right to limit customers
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 AM   #1118
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get further into cycling and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on a few bikes (b/c CP never really has an opinions...). I was looking at the Specialized Secteur and the Tri-Cross. Both entry level bikes as I'm trying to see if this is what I really want. I am in rural Southern Alberta, so I do need some durability and that is an issue in this purchase. No gravel, but not smooth roads or the cleanest. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:25 AM   #1119
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Damn I woke up early to head to Bow Cycle today and my damn car wouldn't start. I guess I haven't started it/driven in a couple months and with the cold weather the battery died.

It's a bit too late to cycle that distance in this weather and still make it for the deals I wanted today. Oh well.

Old 03-29-2014, 11:48 AM   #1120
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
Hey Guys,

I'm looking to get further into cycling and I was wondering if you guys had any opinions on a few bikes (b/c CP never really has an opinions...). I was looking at the Specialized Secteur and the Tri-Cross. Both entry level bikes as I'm trying to see if this is what I really want. I am in rural Southern Alberta, so I do need some durability and that is an issue in this purchase. No gravel, but not smooth roads or the cleanest. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Both good looking machines.

Spend some time thinking about what you're actually going to use it for. Will you stick entirely to paved roads, or would you like to do light off roading? Will you be doing longer tours? Shorter rides? Do you want to bring lots of stuff with you?

The tricross has braze-ons, so you can add a rack and panniers - a big deal if you want to take stuff with you and don't want to wear a back pack. It also looks more versatile for going off the beaten path. But you may be able to sub out the tires on the secteur for cross tires, which should allow it to offroad a bit too. If you're keeping either bike strictly on the road, consider adding some touring tires for durability.

The big difference for me would be the braze-ons. If you don't need to worry about those, I'd go with whichever feels better.
Closed Thread