Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2024, 10:37 AM   #841
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am calm!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 10:39 AM   #842
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah well, I'm fighting a bit with my current new Doctor.

Her answer for everything is 'Go to the ER.'

I have, on many occasions, told her that the ER is the very last place on Earth I want to be unless I absolutely have no choice.

I dont want to be 'that guy' going to the ER for the sniffles.

"But they have all of the equipment to run all the tests!"

Yes. They do. But thats...for Emergencies! Which part of this isn't sinking in?

Anyways, I'm not ditching her because its nigh on impossible getting a family Doctor these days but I'm not hitting up the ER for every blood test or whatever either, thats insane.

So I get to become...'that troublesome patient.'

"How come you havent got those blood tests done yet?"

- Because it takes a long time to get an appointment.

"Just go to ER!"

- We've been over this. It isnt happening.
A major issue, in Vancouver anyways, is that many GPs have just stopped seeing patients in person. The ones that do see people in person have waits from anywhere from days to a week. My understanding is that GPs, who are underpaid and get paid per visit, can see more people in a shorter amount of time virtually/by phone so they choose to do that instead.

It's brutal that they are basically forcing people to overwhelm the ERs to deal with this issue.

We cannot get the nurse practitioner programs in place fast enough. I did appreciate being able to get a prescription directly from a pharmacist recently. Turns out my eye issues were caused by a weird baby virus my daughter gave me, but it was nice getting the eye drops, even though they did nothing, without having to wait to see a doctor.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #843
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
We cannot get the nurse practitioner programs in place fast enough. I did appreciate being able to get a prescription directly from a pharmacist recently. Turns out my eye issues were caused by a weird baby virus my daughter gave me, but it was nice getting the eye drops, even though they did nothing, without having to wait to see a doctor.
I admire your optimism. If I was diagnosed by a pharmacist who sold me a prescription that did nothing I think I’d have a hard time considering that a positive outcome, hypothetically I may even end up being a little cynical about the whole ordeal.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:30 PM   #844
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A major issue, in Vancouver anyways, is that many GPs have just stopped seeing patients in person. The ones that do see people in person have waits from anywhere from days to a week. My understanding is that GPs, who are underpaid and get paid per visit, can see more people in a shorter amount of time virtually/by phone so they choose to do that instead.

It's brutal that they are basically forcing people to overwhelm the ERs to deal with this issue.

Yeah, something "serious" is about a few days to a few weeks from a family doctor. Non-serious appointments are more like several months to half a year+ (ie: Annual body check up).

I've basically resorted to learning how to self triage and sustain my family until we can get a chance to see the professionals.

One key is shut down all sustaining methods if reasonable and prepare the necessary information and stuff for an always expected lengthy visit (ie: Medication for fevers, coughs, upset stomach etc.) for a few hours or prior to seeing a professional (ie: Triage nurse at ER). I have a go bag includes fully charged power banks with multiple cables, meal replacement/snacks, extra sweater, masks, disinfectant, tissues, cash etc. I always assume 4-10 hours if we need to go in to get assessed.

Also to document all helpful information in a helpful format as the nurse and doctor will need to know this (ie: notepad/cloud doc on phone that includes several days/weeks detailed notes with time stamps on summaries on symptoms, temperatures, methods/medicine names and dosages used to address the complication, vaccinations etc.). I also use the scan function to scan in mine, my spouse and both kid's health cards into my phone in case somehow we cannot find them or forget them etc. The more detailed the information, the better diagnosis the nurses and doctors might be able to do. Unfortunately, you and/or kid want to be in your most miserable state when you show up. Otherwise, you may end up assessing incorrectly as lower on the triage line and waiting longer to get the required help that is needed.

The current year flu seems to be brutal. It seems to linger so much longer than previous iterations have in a long while.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 12:35 PM   #845
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My GP has turned their practice into a big health club with a bunch of side businesses going on. Any time I try to make an appointment, I get a message saying there are no available dates. I have resorted to just going back to walk-in clinics.
Old 01-08-2024, 12:44 PM   #846
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I admire your optimism. If I was diagnosed by a pharmacist who sold me a prescription that did nothing I think I’d have a hard time considering that a positive outcome, hypothetically I may even end up being a little cynical about the whole ordeal.
It was a case of "pink eye". They can either be viral or bacterial in nature. You get anti-bacterial eye drops. If they do nothing, then it's viral, and you just have to wait it out, which I did.

The pharmacist did exactly what they should have, and I was happy to avoid the wait for a GP. This was a perfect example of a medical issue that a pharmacist or nurse practitioner should be able to deal with. I'm happy they modified the role of pharmacists to allow for my treatment.

Also, toddlers are gross...and give you gross diseases. A lifetime of being somewhat cautious and clean is now coming back to haunt me, as I'm getting all the diseases I'd previously avoided my whole life.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 02:10 PM   #847
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah well, I'm fighting a bit with my current new Doctor.

Her answer for everything is 'Go to the ER.'

I have, on many occasions, told her that the ER is the very last place on Earth I want to be unless I absolutely have no choice.

I dont want to be 'that guy' going to the ER for the sniffles.

"But they have all of the equipment to run all the tests!"

Yes. They do. But thats...for Emergencies! Which part of this isn't sinking in?
I get this, and also the doctor's point to "just go to the ER cause they have everything".

For instance, it is a big pain in the butt and super inefficient when you know you need an x-ray, bloodwork, etc but you have to 1) go to the doctor to get the paperwork for it 2) go to the testing facility and then 3) back to the doctor to review the results.

I broke my foot over the summer, it was fine, I could limp around and stuff but the swelling wasn't going down. OK, probably broken..it was Saturday, I'll wait until Monday and go to a walk in clinic because it's not an emergency and my doctor is booking out 4 weeks. Wait at walk in clinic "yep, probably broken, go get an x-ray". Drive across the city to the x-ray clinic, wait some more. Get the x-ray "your doctor will review the results with you". Wait 3 days, doctor from the walk-in calls me "yup, it's broken, go to the ER". Ok, so now I'm going to the ER a week after the injury to get an x-ray and a doctor to review it at the same place and I'm at the back of the triage it's understandably not urgent. And after waiting ~10 hours at the ER the doctor takes some more x-rays and basically said "try not to put too much weight on it, it will heal itself over time, come back in 2 weeks for another x-ray to make sure it's aligned properly" and I got to wait another 10 hours in emergency.

In many of these cases it's not an emergency, but it's important, and the way the system is designed it's time consuming and difficult to get it done. It's a waste of time for me, and it's a waste of time for the doctor.
Why can't we co-locate some of these things (tests, etc) that a doctor needs to make an assessment or treatment plan? It would be so much more efficient.

I know it's not as simple and there's the public/private question, but when I go to the dentist they don't say "you need an x-ray, go somewhere else to get it done and then we'll review the results", they just do it on site because they have the equipment there.

Last edited by Torture; 01-08-2024 at 02:19 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 02:13 PM   #848
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

With the recent round of sickness going around, especially for kids, it has actually shocked me at how some parents do not properly care for their children when they are sick.

I used to wonder, given what we know about the flu and other such sickness, if you have no other serious issues, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to manage a flu like sickness. But this time around that is out of the window.

I see kids coughing so hard they almost pass out, while skating on outdoor rinks and not being dressed properly for actually being, outdoor. And then the parents complain that the kids just don't seem to be getting any better. Same thing on the ski hill, etc, etc.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2024, 02:58 PM   #849
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I get this, and also the doctor's point to "just go to the ER cause they have everything".

For instance, it is a big pain in the butt and super inefficient when you know you need an x-ray, bloodwork, etc but you have to 1) go to the doctor to get the paperwork for it 2) go to the testing facility and then 3) back to the doctor to review the results.

I broke my foot over the summer, it was fine, I could limp around and stuff but the swelling wasn't going down. OK, probably broken..it was Saturday, I'll wait until Monday and go to a walk in clinic because it's not an emergency and my doctor is booking out 4 weeks. Wait at walk in clinic "yep, probably broken, go get an x-ray". Drive across the city to the x-ray clinic, wait some more. Get the x-ray "your doctor will review the results with you". Wait 3 days, doctor from the walk-in calls me "yup, it's broken, go to the ER". Ok, so now I'm going to the ER a week after the injury to get an x-ray and a doctor to review it at the same place and I'm at the back of the triage it's understandably not urgent. And after waiting ~10 hours at the ER the doctor takes some more x-rays and basically said "try not to put too much weight on it, it will heal itself over time, come back in 2 weeks for another x-ray to make sure it's aligned properly" and I got to wait another 10 hours in emergency.

In many of these cases it's not an emergency, but it's important, and the way the system is designed it's time consuming and difficult to get it done. It's a waste of time for me, and it's a waste of time for the doctor.
Why can't we co-locate some of these things (tests, etc) that a doctor needs to make an assessment or treatment plan? It would be so much more efficient.

I know it's not as simple and there's the public/private question, but when I go to the dentist they don't say "you need an x-ray, go somewhere else to get it done and then we'll review the results", they just do it on site because they have the equipment there.
I would say that if your foot is broken that qualifies as an 'Emergency.'

Because if it isnt set properly, it wont heal properly, etc.

For instance, I got hurt bad one time at a Men's League soccer game and, I come from a family of 'just shrug it off.'

Unless you're dying you dont go to the Hospital.

But that day one of my clients happened to be a Nurse. So I did something that I normally never do.

"Hey, can you look a this and tell me what to do?"

At that point my entire foot and half of my calf was black.

She tells me:

"Yeah, something is broken and you really need to go to the ER."

So I finished my day, went home and made dinner and then went to the ER.

The Doctor said something along the lines of: "You idiot! You should have been here immediately!"

I thought it was just a 'bad bump.'

I figured I'd give it a couple days and it'd go away. It looked like a bruise!

"Your ankle is broken, there are shards of bone, it must have been agony to walk on! How did you keep going?"

It always hurts to walk on. Hell...I finished the game and everything. I drove home!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 03:15 PM   #850
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post

Yikes, I didn't know it was still like that in Canada. I know there are lots of downsides to US healthcare, but this is an area where things seem far better for the patient. We have Ortho on-calls all over town that are just for walk in orthopedic injuries. Any time my kids have broken something, we just take them in, they have x-rays in the office and the orthopedic sees him right away and gives him a cast or boot or whatever.

Our Urologist has everything on site in their office. X-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, so if you go in for a kidney stone or whatever, it's just one stop.

I'd never go to the ER here unless it is something truly urgent or life threatening.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 05:24 PM   #851
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Yikes, I didn't know it was still like that in Canada. I know there are lots of downsides to US healthcare, but this is an area where things seem far better for the patient. We have Ortho on-calls all over town that are just for walk in orthopedic injuries. Any time my kids have broken something, we just take them in, they have x-rays in the office and the orthopedic sees him right away and gives him a cast or boot or whatever.

Our Urologist has everything on site in their office. X-rays, ultrasound, CT scan, so if you go in for a kidney stone or whatever, it's just one stop.
I mean you're framing it as a way amercian health care is superior to canadian health care but really that's an example of canadian health care vs private American coverage for those that can afford hundreds a month or have good enough jobs for coverage. Not apples to apples.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:23 PM   #852
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It was a case of "pink eye". They can either be viral or bacterial in nature. You get anti-bacterial eye drops. If they do nothing, then it's viral, and you just have to wait it out, which I did.

The pharmacist did exactly what they should have, and I was happy to avoid the wait for a GP. This was a perfect example of a medical issue that a pharmacist or nurse practitioner should be able to deal with. I'm happy they modified the role of pharmacists to allow for my treatment.
I kinda assumed it would have been something like that. My reply was sarcastic, I completely agree with allowing pharmacists to be able to do more. Where it’s sensible.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 06:44 PM   #853
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
I would say that if your foot is broken that qualifies as an 'Emergency.'
Derp. I wrote foot, I meant toe.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 09:35 AM   #854
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just a PSA for the Norovirus (and other gastrobugs)

Only bleach or peroxide will kill the virus! Lysol or any of those other cleaners that "kill 99.9% of germs" don't get rid of these. One of our close friends is a nurse at a family clinic and said you wouldn't believe how many families end up with repeat cases because the Norovirus can live on surfaces for 5-12 days.

Anyways I try to share this with everyone who has the virus in their houses because it's a nightmare and it's super contagious.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 10:34 AM   #855
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Just a PSA for the Norovirus (and other gastrobugs)

Only bleach or peroxide will kill the virus! Lysol or any of those other cleaners that "kill 99.9% of germs" don't get rid of these. One of our close friends is a nurse at a family clinic and said you wouldn't believe how many families end up with repeat cases because the Norovirus can live on surfaces for 5-12 days.

Anyways I try to share this with everyone who has the virus in their houses because it's a nightmare and it's super contagious.
Well the EPA disagrees with you.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-stomach-virus

I’m guessing people don’t follow the instructions though.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 11:53 AM   #856
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Well the EPA disagrees with you.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...-stomach-virus

I’m guessing people don’t follow the instructions though.
My apologies everyone. There are a few specific cleaners that will work on Norovirus (those that contain bleach, peroxide or ethanol). Your reply is pretty pedantic considering the article you linked also recommends using bleach to kill the virus.

Just trying to put out some awareness that in all likelihood your cleaner will not kill the virus so check it first.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2024, 04:10 PM   #857
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
My apologies everyone. There are a few specific cleaners that will work on Norovirus (those that contain bleach, peroxide or ethanol). Your reply is pretty pedantic considering the article you linked also recommends using bleach to kill the virus.

Just trying to put out some awareness that in all likelihood your cleaner will not kill the virus so check it first.
Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know that.

It's a good reminder that you should check in detail that what you're using to kill the Norovirus is effective AND perhaps you should ensure you do it more than once due to how long it can survive/repeat infect individuals. I usually use Pinesol and nuke the #### out of everything. The thing I like about Pinesol is that if the smell doesn't seem like it lingers, it gives me an indication whether to go over again to ensure things are really clean. I'm not saying overwhelming smell of Pinesol. I'm saying if the smell of sick is a little stronger than the Pinesol, it's a good indication to wipe again.

But you also mentioned bleach and peroxide in the same sentence. Don't mix those or let them get into contact with each other!!!!!
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:17 AM   #858
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://angusreid.org/canada-vaccine...-side-effects/

I'd like to congratulate right wing media and our very own premier for legitimizing voices that are leading to the unnecessary suffering and death of children. Come collect your prize, you ####ing monsters.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2024, 10:26 AM   #859
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

https://angusreid.org/canada-vaccine...-side-effects/

I'd like to congratulate right wing media and our very own premier for legitimizing voices that are leading to the unnecessary suffering and death of children. Come collect your prize, you ####ing monsters.
I'm don't really know why but I find it really interesting that the boomers are the ones leading in the "max vax" category.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:27 AM   #860
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool cool cool, we're going to abandon rationality, science, and a well functioning society.

I ####ing hate people.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post: