Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2017, 09:38 AM   #1901
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Bolded part is most certainly true. TC sees the world in Flames colored glasses, and there have been some eye opening examples but you have to admit it doesn't seem to affect how he moderates posters and threads. I disagree with him here and there but he doesn't take disagreement personally. He is basically the anti moon. I guess being a mod is not so much about having a balanced take but more about being even tempered which I respect.
Yeah... I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Yeah..
Old 07-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #1902
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Bolded part is most certainly true. TC sees the world in Flames colored glasses, and there have been some eye opening examples but you have to admit it doesn't seem to affect how he moderates posters and threads. I disagree with him here and there but he doesn't take disagreement personally. He is basically the anti moon. I guess being a mod is not so much about having a balanced take but more about being even tempered which I respect.
Yeah I'm not criticizing his moderation in the least here and I do respect his opinion. I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer here regarding Jankowski but I feel expectations should be tempered as he's only played one game in the NHL and we don't know how long it will take for him to adjust. I just hate how the hype train rolls for young players and when things don't work out according to that script fans start piling on these guys such as what's going on with Bennett right now. Lets not build him up so high so if he doesn't make an immediate difference that fans start tearing it him down. Hope for the best but be reasonable is what I'm saying as if he struggles we can accept it's part of the process rather than label him a bust.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #1903
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I'm not criticizing his moderation in the least here and I do respect his opinion. I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer here regarding Jankowski but I feel expectations should be tempered as he's only played one game in the NHL and we don't know how long it will take for him to adjust. I just hate how the hype train rolls for young players and when things don't work out according to that script fans start piling on these guys such as what's going on with Bennett right now. Lets not build him up so high so if he doesn't make an immediate difference that fans start tearing it him down. Hope for the best but be reasonable is what I'm saying as if he struggles we can accept it's part of the process rather than label him a bust.
This is a good take. I am somewhat concerned Bennett is going down a similar path as Baertschi did with the Flames where the heightened expectations don't match the early results. Jankowski could be in the same boat as the hype is starting to build 5 years after he was drafted. Having said that I am not sure what expectations people have outside of him being a bottom 6 NHL centre next year with a potential ceiling of being a top 6 someday.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #1904
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nothing against you EE but this is such a typical pessimistic Flames fan thing. No other fan base thinks expectations need to cooled after penciling a player into the opening line up after four years in College and a very good year in the AHL. Not saying you're wrong, just such a Flames fan move. Only watching Jankowski last year (limited) and some youtube from College, he seems legit.

As for Textcritic, surprised he's a moderator! Nothing against his posting style, I don't mind rose colored glasses and a bit of snark but we've all seen posters come and go over the years for the same grating arrogant style of posting he uses.
The Following User Says Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 10:44 AM   #1905
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I have no problem with this, and I generally agree with everything here. But as I pointed out earlier, the content of your expressed desire to temper expectations was not that which I take issue with. It is drawing an analogy between what fans might expect from Jankowski and another prospect who has struggled as a clearly obvious result of his issues with addiction. I maintain that the comparison is dumb, and I remain a little perplexed why you chose to make it in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 10:49 AM   #1906
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
oh, i think there's a lot of people that feel that way (ie tamping down on expectations)... i just think people are kinda "janko'd" out considering how these threads tended to go sideways in the past.

At this point, we'll all find out soon enough... Janko will turn out to be whatever he is, so there's not really a reason to get into a big debate about it anymore.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:50 AM   #1907
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have no problem with this, and I generally agree with everything here. But as I pointed out earlier, the content of your expressed desire to temper expectations was not that which I take issue with. It is drawing an analogy between what fans might expect from Jankowski and another prospect who has struggled as a clearly obvious result of his issues with addiction. I maintain that the comparison is dumb, and I remain a little perplexed why you chose to make it in the first place.
Maybe just let it go. It was a Flames related example and no one on here knows how much of his hockey struggles related to his personal issues. EE gave it as a brief example and now it is being harped on for pages. It was a bad example. Can we move on?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:12 AM   #1908
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

You're all banned!! You get a ban! You get a ban! You get a ban! EVERYONE GETS A BAN!!
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #1909
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So...Sureloss...or anyone...

Credible sources/rumors that can right this ship?
Old 07-12-2017, 11:31 AM   #1910
erikk3
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Every time I come into this thread I think "Nice, lots of new posts. Must be some rumors.". But it's always about ####ing Jankowski
Old 07-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #1911
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk3 View Post
Every time I come into this thread I think "Nice, lots of new posts. Must be some rumors.". But it's always about ####ing Jankowski
I agree. This kind of stuff should be talked about in the prospects thread. Not in trade rumors.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #1912
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaV4 View Post
So...Sureloss...or anyone...

Credible sources/rumors that can right this ship?
Here's one......Don’t be surprised if Penguins trade Phil Kessel ...takers anyone...

Quote:
It was clear in June, by the end of the Penguins’ second consecutive Stanley Cup run, that the organization wasn’t thrilled with Kessel. He scored 23 goals in 82 games during the regular season, not nearly enough for a player with his marvelous shooting skills.
Quote:
Kessel has to score goals to help the Penguins. He doesn’t help the team with his forechecking or his defense. He doesn’t play any type of physical game, a big reason he has been able to play in 610 consecutive regular-season games, the 11th-longest streak in NHL history.
It’s no secret that Kessel often drives Sullivan crazy. I’m guessing he has produced the same reaction all the way up the company ladder, from Jim Rutherford to Mario Lemieux.
But....

Quote:
Kessel counts as a $6.8 million hit against the Penguins’ salary cap through the 2021-22 season, when he will be 35.
Kessel also has a limited no-trade clause in his contract.
Good luck to the Penguins trying to move him.
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/news...cid=spartanntp
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2017, 12:20 PM   #1913
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pens don't win either cup without Kessel
Old 07-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #1914
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Uhhhhh what? 2 Stanley Cups and Kessel had 70 points last year. Why would they want to trade him?

Basically a point per game in both cup runs too.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #1915
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brouwer is physical!

Come on Rutherford, do Kessel for Brouwer!
Old 07-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #1916
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Pens don't win either cup without Kessel
He was my pick for the Conn Smythe in 2016.
Old 07-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #1917
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope Treliving can land Kessel, sweetin' the deal with all the Peter's drive-in he wants if the Flames are on his no trade list.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #1918
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
Uhhhhh what? 2 Stanley Cups and Kessel had 70 points last year. Why would they want to trade him?
Well it was spelled out in the quote. Because he's a one-dimensional scoring winger who has average size, is non-physical and doesn't excel without the puck. If he's not scoring he's not helping. Almost 50% of his points came on the powerplay.

IMO this is the type of player that is most overrated in the NHL. A lot of fans love flashy scorers, the types of player that make the highlight reels. But unfortunately NHL forwards often get paid on points and one-dimensional scoring wingers are therefore usually overpaid in comparison to their value to the team.

It's why a lot of GM's talk about building through the middle. Emphasizing goaltending, defense and centres. Those are the most critical positions in hockey. Goal scoring wingers basically compliment your centres but they rarely drive the play themselves. Very few teams built around goal scoring wingers as their franchise player or most expensive player go anywhere. An elite centre can make a 20-30 goal scorer out of a variety of wingers (see Lemieux, Gretzky, Crosby, etc.) An elite goal scoring winger doesn't usually elevate the play of his linemates in the same way (see Iginla, Nash, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, etc). In fact they often depend somewhat on having a good playmaking centre to get them the puck. Wingers have less impact in your own zone because centres are relied on much more heavily for defensive assignments.

Kessel isn't looking like an elite goal scoring winger anymore. You'd think if he could get 40 in TOR he would easily repeat that on a team with Crosby and Malkin but he's failed to elevate his game playing on a team that has some of the best centres in the league. His cap hit means he should be one of the most important players on the team but his value to their team lags behind the goalie, the top 4 defense and the centres.

I'd say in short that the reason they're looking to move him is because they believe he's overpaid in comparison to his value to the team. And IMO that happens often with one-dimensional goal scoring wingers. Bet you every team in the league would rather have a Wayne Simmonds on his contract than Phil Kessel on his contract. You'd rather pay for an elite centre and then get them a nice complimentary power forward who can do the dirty work along the boards and in front of the net. There's danger in committing too much of the cap to one-dimensional goal scoring wingers.

And this is why you saw NJ buyout Cammalleri IMO.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 07-12-2017 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #1919
gunnner
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Phil and Hagelin were great on the 2016 run. 2017 he was far from a difference maker. If they can shed the cap space, they are better off.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM   #1920
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

My favorite thing about Kessel is how so many broadcasters are obsessed with showing him sucking wind after every single shift.

This adds nothing to the thread, but needed to be shared.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread