Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:05 PM   #1761
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Personally I'd love him on a line with Tkachuk and Bennett.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland

Frolik - Backlund - Brouwer

Tkachuk - Bennett - Jagr

Versteeg - Jankowski - Lazar

Stajan

I sometimes wonder if hiding Brouwer with Backlund/ Frolik can get his value up high enough to move him. Backlund made Colborne and Bouma look like much better NHLers than hey we're.

But not good enough to move, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #1762
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Please no Jagr. The team doesn't need the distraction he would bring. Plus he's pretty useless right now. Sure he can put up some points when his linemates carry him, but he's not better than Versteeg right now.
Well I don't quite agree with that. Yes, he needed Barkov to do a lot of heavy lifting defensively, but in the offensive zone, Jagr can still do a bunch of great work. He protects the puck extremely well, has excellent hands, and can get it down low to Johnny or Mony: You might actually have a great fit. He can also bang in a lot of goals in front of the net as well. My only concern is his endurance level, but he still played a lot of hockey last year and only looked worn down a few times.

If they can get him for under $3 million for one year, I'd happily take Jagr on this team.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #1763
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Please no Jagr. The team doesn't need the distraction he would bring. Plus he's pretty useless right now. Sure he can put up some points when his linemates carry him, but he's not better than Versteeg right now.
It has been proven that his linemates did better WITH him than without him. How does that make him useless? Seems to be the opposite of useless, no?

Also, what distraction? I can see the arguments for not bringing back Iginla because it would be a distraction (though I disagree with that assessment, but I can understand the reasoning there). I just don't see how Jagr could be a distraction to a team. By all accounts, he is great on and off the ice, and is one of the NHL's most conditioned athletes. The youth on this team seeing him (or Iginla) manage their fitness would be a pro, not a con in my mind.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 07:25 PM   #1764
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Well I don't quite agree with that. Yes, he needed Barkov to do a lot of heavy lifting defensively, but in the offensive zone, Jagr can still do a bunch of great work. He protects the puck extremely well, has excellent hands, and can get it down low to Johnny or Mony: You might actually have a great fit. He can also bang in a lot of goals in front of the net as well. My only concern is his endurance level, but he still played a lot of hockey last year and only looked worn down a few times.

If they can get him for under $3 million for one year, I'd happily take Jagr on this team.
Pretty spot on analysis although I wouldn't say he has great hands anymore but his hockey IQ is as good as it gets so he makes the right play everytime.

And like you said he would definitely have to play with Monahan and Johnny, he needs guys who can play the cycle game not just north-south speed (which he obviously can't do).

Another negative thing about his game (additionally to the lack of defense) now is that he takes stupid penalties time to time. The game is so fast now so he is constantly playing at the limit with hooking/interfering trying to compensate.

But I could see a fit with Mony and Johnny.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #1765
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Jagr is basically a meme at this point. Major pass.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 08:58 PM   #1766
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
You know it's the slow time of year when posters are discussing the Jagr/Iginla farewell tours on a daily basis. Boring!
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #1767
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
With Versteeg signed, there just isn't room for Jagr.
That doesn't really make sense.

its classic summer analysis to imagine a healthy roster and see no room. In reality the Flames will likely have 1-3 injured forwards most of the year. There's "room" for depth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 11:25 PM   #1768
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
He's actually still pretty good.

46 points last year and still in the top 110 for scoring for NHL forwards.

Still is a great possession driver ranking 27th of all NHL forwards in CorsiFor%.

Unlike Iginla and Doan the guy is still a good top 6 forward - if you could add him for a reasonable price it's a no brainer.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-10-2017 at 09:54 AM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #1769
calgaryboy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Today ´s interview with his former coach and very good friend Marian Jelinek. Just a google translation from Czech to ENG.

https://translate.google.cz/translat...sez&edit-text=

So I don ´t know guys. I guess time will tell. It would be really surreal for me. Every team where Jagr plays in his career is here in Czech republic in TV all the time, all year, 32552545 articles about that team and Jagr daily etc. :-) As of now, CGY is no mainstream in here. Would be huge change for me :-) As a Flames Czech fan, I am not against Jagr winning SC in a Flames uniform :-)
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to calgaryboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #1770
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryboy View Post
Today ´s interview with his former coach and very good friend Marian Jelinek. Just a google translation from Czech to ENG.

https://translate.google.cz/translat...sez&edit-text=

So I don ´t know guys. I guess time will tell. It would be really surreal for me. Every team where Jagr plays in his career is here in Czech republic in TV all the time, all year, 32552545 articles about that team and Jagr daily etc. :-) As of now, CGY is no mainstream in here. Would be huge change for me :-) As a Flames Czech fan, I am not against Jagr winning SC in a Flames uniform :-)

Gitter done Tre!
Old 07-10-2017, 12:31 AM   #1771
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jagr in the flames jersey.. hell to the ####ing ya!
Old 07-10-2017, 08:39 AM   #1772
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

My concern with Jagr would be the fit with the forward lines as they are now.
I think he would play great with Monahan, but not fast enough to keep up with Gaudreau or Bennett. Maybe you break up the big 2 forwards and see how that plays out?

Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Tkachuk - Monahan - Jagr
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Lazar - Brouwer
Stajan - Hamilton

1. Tries Gaudreau with Bennett, which to me sounds like a great combo, and would bring life to Bennett big time
2. That Monahan line would be a killer on the cycle
3. Gets Jankowski blooded playing with the two best possession drivers on the team
4. If Jankowski doesn't fit, you have veterans who can move up and send him to the AHL

I think it is a pipe dream, as Calgary is neither a cup front-runner nor a team with an easier travel schedule, which makes them less appealing to a veteran with no ties to the city/region
Old 07-10-2017, 09:28 AM   #1773
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imported_Aussie View Post
I think he would play great with Monahan, but not fast enough to keep up with Gaudreau or Bennett. Maybe you break up the big 2 forwards and see how that plays out?

Tkachuk - Monahan - Jagr
Stajan - Hamilton

1. Tries Gaudreau with Bennett, which to me sounds like a great combo, and would bring life to Bennett big time
3. Gets Jankowski blooded playing with the two best possession drivers on the team
4. If Jankowski doesn't fit, you have veterans who can move up and send him to the AHL

I think it is a pipe dream, as Calgary is neither a cup front-runner nor a team with an easier travel schedule, which makes them less appealing to a veteran with no ties to the city/region
It probably is a longshot for him to land in CGY, but Jagr wasn't exactly chasing cups in NJ and FLA. He has however stated in an interview (a while back) that he would like to play in a Canadian city.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #1774
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Tkachuk - Monahan - Jagr
Stajan - Hamilton

Not sure if I read it here, or heard it on the fan, but someone pointed out that stats show that Bennett's performance gets WORSE every time he is on a line with Gaudreau... on paper it may look good, but so far stats show they don't work together.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:43 AM   #1775
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I have a feeling that the Flames aren't done in free agency. I think they'll either get one of the three old men left, Vanek, or bring back Chiasson before training camp.

Old 07-10-2017, 09:48 AM   #1776
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Not sure if I read it here, or heard it on the fan, but someone pointed out that stats show that Bennett's performance gets WORSE every time he is on a line with Gaudreau... on paper it may look good, but so far stats show they don't work together.
The sample size isn't very big. IMO those two would have to learn how to play with each other, since they are both puck carriers, and they both tend to carry down the left side.

My main problem with that line would be on defence. Ferland isn't known for defensive play, Gaudreau just isn't very good (despite being able to pick pockets sometimes) and Bennett seems to still have a lot to learn, though he does play PK.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 AM   #1777
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I have a feeling that the Flames aren't done in free agency. I think they'll either get one of the three old men left, Vanek, or bring back Chiasson before training camp.

I'm ok with Jagr, Vanek, or Chiasson if it's a 1 year deal and it happens after Bennett and Ferland are signed
Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #1778
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't watched Jagr play much over the last few years. Is he fast enough? I know his O-zone game is likely still great given his boardplay and puck protection, i'm just unclear where he would fit best. I have always felt Gaudreau's game is best suited as a rush/transition game. Bennett i'm unclear on given that he hasn't really shown his offensive mojo type (rush vs cycle). I think that backlund/frolik/tkatchuk/monahan are our best cycle game forwards. I am unclear if we want jagr with other slower skaters (tkatcuk/monahan) given that it would leave the line as being a slower one...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #1779
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default 2017/2018 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:

I just wanted to point out that Monahan and Gaudreau had little problem playing with Jiri Hudler, who is not a fast player by any stretch. I think there is far too much disruption in your lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 07-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #1780
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I believe you are 100% correct.

Shouldn't the days left countdown on your signature be changing BTW? Seems like you're stuck on 101.
Closed Thread