Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2017, 08:40 PM   #921
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
So now we get to that awkward part where we see if Transplant99 and others change their tune a little with new information or do they do the thing that human beings are wired to do and dismiss/ignore findings that are contrary to their original, hardline stance?

Im right here.

What is the "new information" exactly?

And what "hardline" stance am i to be reconsidering?

That Khadr should have been charged with treason the minute he was returned to Canada? Cause nothing is going to change that for me. Its a text book case by definition.

Not really sure why you seemed to have honed in on me here, but fill your boots, as i have nothing to hide.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:49 PM   #922
Red Potato Standing By
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If it is a text book case then why wasn't he charged with it?
Red Potato Standing By is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:51 PM   #923
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
Good question.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:59 PM   #924
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Good question.
So do you lean towards the side of it being some government conspiracy laden with special interests not to charge him, educated government legal council somehow missing this completely obvious opportunity, or that maybe it is not actually a textbook case like you seem to believe?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:18 PM   #925
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
So do you lean towards the side of it being some government conspiracy laden with special interests not to charge him, educated government legal council somehow missing this completely obvious opportunity, or that maybe it is not actually a textbook case like you seem to believe?
This is the best explanation i have seen

Quote:
In 2008, Ottawa law students, under the supervision of Professor Craig Forcese, wrote a 153-page report given to a Senate Committee on Human Rights outlying the law. They later testified before a House of Commons committee.

The report concluded: “There is good reason to believe that Omar could be prosecuted under Canadian law. Repatriation, therefore, is not tantamount to impunity.”

Had Canada demanded Khadr’s repatriation after his capture, rather than deferring to the U.S., there was a greater possibility he could have been successfully prosecuted here.

Now that is likely impossible due to protections against double jeopardy and the fact that Canada’s courts have denounced the illegality of Guantanamo.
Doesn't mean they still can't but the liklihood of double jeopardy makes their chances slim. At least that is how i have come to understand it.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...the-case-.html
Old 07-24-2017, 09:44 PM   #926
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the best explanation i have seen

Doesn't mean they still can't but the liklihood of double jeopardy makes their chances slim. At least that is how i have come to understand it.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/toronto...the-case-.html
There's a pretty key bit of information you're missing because you didn't read the report. All of your desire to prosecute for treason is conditional upon proving the charges against him were true. Or rather, provable. "provided the allegations by the US are true" is the exact wording.

And if you read the link I posted earlier you'd see the real evidence says he didn't throw the grenade. And you have no idea where the bombs he made were used.

But as long as you don't have to think about anything right?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 09:57 PM   #927
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
There's a pretty key bit of information you're missing because you didn't read the report. All of your desire to prosecute for treason is conditional upon proving the charges against him were true. Or rather, provable. "provided the allegations by the US are true" is the exact wording.

And if you read the link I posted earlier you'd see the real evidence says he didn't throw the grenade. And you have no idea where the bombs he made were used.

But as long as you don't have to think about anything right?
I don't understand this. Proving what charges against him were true? Maybe I'm missing something...
You are suggesting he wasn't actively 'at war' with the coalition that Canada was part of? Are you suggesting the bombs he was making were for Canadian forces?
No idea if Khadr would have been found guilty, but that would have been the right action. Bring him home and charge him with treason.
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:10 PM   #928
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good question.
This may help ease your frustration. Being 15 at the time he would have likely been tried as a minor under the young offender's act, at the time the maximum sentence for a minor was 10 years. So he essentially served his sentence without a trial. Also under the YOA his identity should have been kept protected, had this happened technically you should have never even known what he did. So he served his sentence, and paid his debt to society and you have your justice, the irony being he didn't actually get a trial. 10 years is too light of a sentence? The law is what it is, but bear in mind most young offenders sentenced under the YOA get sentenced to prison at juvenile institutions not torture at Guantanamo bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zethrynn View Post
Probably because due to the reasons above it would simply be a waste of tax payer's money to have a trial for the sake of a moral verdict.

Last edited by iggy_oi; 07-24-2017 at 10:13 PM.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iggy_oi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 10:11 PM   #929
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I don't understand this. Proving what charges against him were true? Maybe I'm missing something...
You are suggesting he wasn't actively 'at war' with the coalition that Canada was part of? Are you suggesting the bombs he was making were for Canadian forces?
No idea if Khadr would have been found guilty, but that would have been the right action. Bring him home and charge him with treason.
Third time...

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017...dr-isnt-guilty

It's too long to quote but it explains what the evidence against Khadr actually is in regards to the grenade he threw and how it would never stand up in court. In fact, it points to his innocence much more so than guilt.

So once you're over that, you have to look at what the video of him making bombs could provide in the way of charges. The report from the U of Ottawa suggests the charge would not be treason but rather some other bomb making charge. That charge however requires a location for where the bombs were used. That doesn't exist.

The other charge is aiding a terrorist organization and in regards to the bomb making video, that charge requires proof of someone using the bombs he made in the same way the first charge would be proven. Like his dad would have to have been caught using Omar's bombs against civilians in a public place.

And other than that, I'm not aware of any other evidence other than "His whole family is a bunch of friggin terrorists let's friggin hang em".

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 07-24-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:27 PM   #930
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Third time...

http://www.nationalobserver.com/2017...dr-isnt-guilty

It's too long to quote but it explains what the evidence against Khadr actually is in regards to the grenade he threw and how it would never stand up in court. In fact, it points to his innocence much more so than guilt.

So once you're over that, you have to look at what the video of him making bombs could provide in the way of charges. The report from the U of Ottawa suggests the charge would not be treason but rather some other bomb making charge. That charge however requires a location for where the bombs were used. That doesn't exist.

And other than that, I'm not aware of any other evidence other than "His whole family is a bunch of friggin terrorists let's friggin hang em".
5th time

I do not give a #### about trumped up, coerced confession American charges, assuming that's what it was. Do not care one bit.
There was sufficient grounds for a charge of treason. I care about this.
Khadr should have been brought home immediately and charged with treason.
C'est tout
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #931
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5th time

I do not give a #### about trumped up, coerced confession American charges, assuming that's what it was. Do not care one bit.
C'est tout
Whether the charges stuck or not is besides the point, had the government taken this course of action at the very least they would have avoided the lawsuit.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:32 PM   #932
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
5th time

C'est tout
What grounds was that? The "his whole family is a bunch of terrorists let's get 'em boys" grounds?

Last edited by OMG!WTF!; 07-24-2017 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:43 PM   #933
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What grounds was that? The "his whole family is a bunch of terrorists let's get 'em boys" grounds?
I think there was at least sufficient enough evidence for the government to have brought him in for questioning. Whether or not he could have been charged is a different story but you can't deny they had grounds to at least investigate it.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #934
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What grounds was that?
Active 'military' action against is not grounds?
Old 07-24-2017, 10:47 PM   #935
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think there was at least sufficient enough evidence for the government to have brought him in for questioning. Whether or not he could have been charged is a different story but you can't deny they had grounds to at least investigate it.
OK. Fair enough.
And if there is no grounds, or if he is charged and not guilty, I'm good with that too.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:51 PM   #936
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OK. Fair enough.
And if there is no grounds, or if he is charged and not guilty, I'm good with that too.
I wasn't disagreeing with you, I just don't know the legal ins and outs around charging someone for treason, but OMG's post paints a picture of someone who's actions the government had no business even questioning.
Old 07-24-2017, 10:59 PM   #937
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Active 'military' action against is not grounds?
I'm pretty sure the Hell' Angels are all just a bunch of drug dealers, fraudsters and theives. Why not just round em up and get rid of them? There are even videos of them doing the stuff they do. Yet here we are. Nice big HA party going on right under your nose and not a damn thing you can do about it. How is Khadr any different? You act like you were there and saw what he was doing for the two years he was in Afghanistan.

An investigation would have been great in 2004. Little late now but you don't get to be a lap dog for your bully friend next door and serve your own justice too.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 AM   #938
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's so simple, it took this one statement to figure it out, how stupid of me

Trudeau paid him to hide the truth, he was a 15 year old double agent and the bombs he made were used against al qaeda
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:30 AM   #939
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

TIL in this thread and from the CPC: governments should use public resources to pursue criminal proceedings and litigation they have minimal chances of winning because it makes the general public feel better. And this is the approach being advocated by "fiscal conservatives."
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:19 AM   #940
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But when the Canadian government grossly violates a citizen's rights, I am glad to see redress, if only as a deterrent. I'm a strong believer in the notion that undeterred, the spooks will eventually come for you, too.

I also know this: the last thing we need is our politicians down in the U.S., whipping up even more ignorance and bile toward Canada among American conservatives.

Don't forget, a lot of them still blame Canada for allowing the Sept. 11 attackers into America, which is entirely false, but which lives on in the American mind to this day, despite years of patient fact-checking by Canadian diplomats in Washington.
The conservative American public, guided by a churlish, isolationist president, is looking for whipping boys and imagined foreign enemies at the moment.

They don't need encouraging by politicians who claim to speak for Canadians. Conservatives might try to keep in mind that it's supposed to be the Loyal Opposition.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canad...218915?cmp=rss

Some good points here. Why are the Conservatives so eager to badmouth us Canadians to the US media?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: