Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #6681
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I read an article on 538 earlier today that suggested that the Democrats would need to win at least 70-75% of "Trump Disapprovers" to have a shot at the 2018 result they're after. That seems like a tall order.
Why didn't you link it?...

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...allot-in-2018/

... You also come to a strange conclusion based on the analysis. Per the analysis In the past 4 midterms the average result was 71% of White House Disapprovers. Given how historically unpopular Trump is as measured by approval ratings I wouldn't conclude that it's a "tall order". It'll take hard work but it seems pretty achievable ATM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #6682
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post

Now, will the Dems parade Americans that have been helped by Obamacare?

I really only know what I've heard, and for the most part I tend to believe what the "experts" say, Tax cut for the wealthy, 26 million will have no coverage etc. Aren't costs just going up (and providers backing out of certain places because of less profit) because the health industry is privatized and making billions? If so, isn't that the first place to start?
What the hell is going on with those eyebrows?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #6683
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post

Now, will the Dems parade Americans that have been helped by Obamacare?

I wonder how much those people were paid to stand there. Must have been a significant chunk of change. It's really the only explanation for why they would show up to support the GOP's horrendous bill. Obamacare certainly has it's problems, but from everything I've read, it's far from the disaster the GOP makes it out to be. And despite what Trump and his minions would have people believe, it doesn't sound like it's going to implode on its own anytime soon either.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #6684
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
I'd have to check, but IIRC Hillary lost Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin by a total of 140 K votes...EDIT: so it looks like the electoral college margin was less... 114K could have swung the EC and changed the election results. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/11/11/the-114000-votes-that-cost-hillary-clinton-the-us-election/

Those states have historically voted democrat...

considering Hillary won the popular vote and how god awful trump has been, I don't really see it as a tall order...

However, the Dems do understand that their messaging wasn't very good and it appears that they are retooling that message to be more populist to some degree https://www.vox.com/2017/7/23/160166...crats-populism .... whether or not their new strategy of "A Better Deal" works is another question.

I don't think winning ought to be a tall order, however, the variable that remains is who would be the democratic nominee that could appeal to the moderate GOP
I think he is referring to the house which is rigged for republicans right now. The democrats need roughly a 3-5 point margin nationally to take back the House.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 PM   #6685
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump speaking to the Boy Scouts right now about the electoral college, and fake news, getting them to boo Obama and Hillary. First of all, why did the Scouts invite someone who holds virtually none of their values? Second, this obviously has a Hitler Youth vibe. And finally Trump is mentally deranged clearly, and also a massive degenerate. If he somehow makes it to 2020, I cannot imagine the global opinion of America. Decent chance they're behind North Korea.
Old 07-24-2017, 06:45 PM   #6686
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I think he is referring to the house which is rigged for republicans right now. The democrats need roughly a 3-5 point margin nationally to take back the House.
thanks for the clarification...

to be honest, i am not 100% of how the midterm elections work, so the article may very well be right...

ultimately, my hope is that people actually get out and vote and that they do so by voting based on the President and the GOP's actual performance and not blind dogma or ideology
Old 07-24-2017, 06:49 PM   #6687
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Trump speaking to the Boy Scouts right now about the electoral college, and fake news, getting them to boo Obama and Hillary. First of all, why did the Scouts invite someone who holds virtually none of their values? Second, this obviously has a Hitler Youth vibe. And finally Trump is mentally deranged clearly, and also a massive degenerate. If he somehow makes it to 2020, I cannot imagine the global opinion of America. Decent chance they're behind North Korea.
Good lord... let it go Trump...

what's next? Effigies of Hillary and Obama?

he's really teetering on the edge, imo, of corrupting the political process for a very long time... maybe President Bannon is in control afterall...

Any Republican with a shred of ethics left should be outraged and horrified at how Trump is slowly eroding the checks and balances installed by the founding fathers...
Old 07-24-2017, 06:55 PM   #6688
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He also threatened to fire Tom Price if healthcare fails, because that's what the Scouts came to hear.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:04 PM   #6689
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
Good lord... let it go Trump...

what's next? Effigies of Hillary and Obama?
The Two Minutes Hate.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:40 PM   #6690
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

God... can someone put some grown-ups back in charge down there? Please?
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #6691
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another article that highlights how much of a clueless idiot Trump is. It's a miracle that country is still managing to keep itself together for the most part, at least for now. But man, things are sure crumbling fast with this petulant buffoon at the helm.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...nce-is-w493467

Quote:
While the GOP health care bill was on life support the weekend before last, Trump spent two days golfing at his resort, followed by a photo-op event that featured him in a fire truck. This weekend, he prepared for a potentially crucial health care vote by once again traveling to one of his golf resorts. On Monday morning he tweeted about the GOP "repeal and replace" mantra despite the fact that not even members of Congress appear to have any clue what they might vote on this week.
Quote:
The problem appears to be that Trump himself has no idea what he is trying to do. Now he's urging Congress to repeal the ACA as if the events of the past week did not even happen. Presidents can be effective without deep knowledge, but not bothering to figure out what Congress is voting on is really pushing it. The office is designed to function with a person who is not brilliant; one who is totally clueless is another matter.
Quote:
Presidents need not be experts on everything, and it is possible for our system to produce legislation without everyone in Congress or in the White House attaining PhD-level mastery of an issue. It is necessary, though, for people like the president to have a basic grasp of the fundamental questions and problems involved and what each of the opposing sides wants.

Without that, the system begins to break down. In six months, this Republican president has yet to succeed in getting any legislation through a Republican-controlled House and Senate. That is unprecedented. There are many factors that explain the failures of the proposed legislation so far, but a major factor appears to be Trump's maddening lack of consistency. We are seeing, in other words, the limits of how little presidential knowledge and interest there can be before the system ceases to function properly.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:07 PM   #6692
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

About that, the Maverick is back to Maverick the hell out of the GOP health bill.

Quote:
The majority leader was still short of the votes to even open debate, and Republicans still don't know what they'd be voting to allow debate on if they agree to go along with McConnell on the procedural vote. But Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), recently diagnosed with brain cancer and recovering from surgery, announced that he would return to the Senate on Tuesday, giving GOP leaders a critical vote in the up-and-down battle over repealing Obamacare...But Republicans said they hoped they wouldn’t need McCain to get over the hump. And to get their members on board, they are being as vague as possible about what the final bill to replace Obamacare would include, after two recent drafts met fatal opposition. Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) will return for the vote, but the undecided positions of about a half-dozen senators have left McConnell with a tiny margin for error, and no one's quite sure what his end game is.
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...failure-240887

It's not over til it's over. These slimy sonsofbitches may yet still pull this off.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:10 PM   #6693
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

As soon as I heard McCain was coming back this is what I thought:

Ronald Brownstein‏ @RonBrownstein
Would be quite a statement for @SenJohnMcCain to rush back from a health care crisis to revoke health coverage from 22 million people
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:19 PM   #6694
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
As soon as I heard McCain was coming back this is what I thought:

Would be quite a statement for @SenJohnMcCain to rush back from a health care crisis to revoke health coverage from 22 million people
this... not much more to be said to be honest...
Old 07-24-2017, 08:27 PM   #6695
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

If McCain votes against the bill, I'll be shocked. The only hope is that maybe his current health crisis gave him a change of heart in regards to the health care debate. But I doubt it. Sadly he'll likely toe the party line like he always does.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:28 PM   #6696
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So Mccain will be paying for his own health care costs if they repeal it...right?
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 08:35 PM   #6697
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
So Mccain will be paying for his own health care costs if they repeal it...right?
lol.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:48 PM   #6698
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Was wondering why Trump was bashing the Washington Post so much tonight on twitter, until I noticed the Post released a story tonight revealing that in the late 80's when Don Jr. was going into scouts Don Sr. took the $7 fee out of his charity foundation instead of just paying it out of his own pocket. Lol, good gravy.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:54 PM   #6699
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Just me, or is twitter maybe not the best place for the president to admit covert stuff like this?

Quote:
Donald J. Trump‏@realDonaldTrump
The Amazon Washington Post fabricated the facts on my ending massive, dangerous, and wasteful payments to Syrian rebels fighting Assad.....
Old 07-24-2017, 09:21 PM   #6700
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
To Arizonans this would not be a surprise. McCain has done next to nothing for Arizona as a Senator, many times working against the State's best interest. So it would only make sense that he would work completely against the American people's interest and take healthcare away from them, on the heels of them paying for his medical procedure to save his life. McCain is gonna McCain.

What would be a real story book ending for McCain is for him to find meaning in his tumor and come to some realization that people all over the country face similar problems each day - waking up feeling fine, then discovering their world is coming to an end because of a medical condition. McCain could speak for all of those people by making a statement that Obamacare does need to be repealed and replaced, but repealed and replaced by Medicare for all. He could go out on top and be remembered as someone that would do the right thing, even as he faced his own mortality. But that ain't going to happen. McCain is a Republican, and almost all Republicans are self-serving DBs who only do things that enrich themselves or their corporate backers. So look for McCain to make an impassioned plea on behalf of the Mayo Clinic, and demand that they be allowed to service only the elites and charge whatever they see fit by endorsing the repeal of Obamacare.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms