Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2016, 04:55 PM   #2981
kn
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The only thing that will lead to change is if someone takes out the children of a bunch of US politicians or maybe walks right into Congress and wipes out half the Senate. Sorry to the loved ones of regular Americans who get killed but all they are ever going to receive is a polished speech by the President.
The Following User Says Thank You to kn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2016, 05:18 PM   #2982
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I believe it's 7. And one mass stabbing.
Source? I read that number but it sounds low.
Old 06-12-2016, 05:57 PM   #2983
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

wall street journal says only 3 mass shootings in canada since 2000

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-lead...ngs-1443905359

but it is dependent on the metric they use to define mass shooting...

at the end of the day, as a comparative measure (since every country is listed based on the same criteria) it still shows the huge gap between the US the rest of the world
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2016, 10:21 PM   #2984
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
There was no political mechanism for banning ex members of the communist party from working in the film industry either but it happened.

The U.S. has a history of knee jerk reactions to various perceived threats, I can see a republican Trump like candidate realizing that the country is terrified and looking for a simple solution and realizing he can ride that wave to the White House, I'm not saying that it will happen any time soon, but it will be utterly unpredictable when it does happen.

Americans are mostly unhappy with the gun laws, they want to keep their own guns because they're scared of their neighbours but they would be happy to see everyone else have their guns banned.
"America can always be counted on to do the right thing - after they've exhausted all other possibilities." - Winston Churchill
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #2985
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anybody see the piece on CNN using the 13 year old boy to buy items and get in adult places?

Beer - clerk asks age and refuses
Cigarettes - same as above
Tries to get into a strip club - refused
Tries to buy a lotto ticket - refused

Tries to buy a gun at a gun show - no problem, nice little rifle!

Morons
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 12:03 PM   #2986
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

US supreme court refused to take up gun rights challenge to semi-auto assault weapons ban in Connecticut and New York today. They let the ban stand.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...pons-ban-stand
Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #2987
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Maybe this is the way out:

AMA Decides Gun Violence is a Public Health Issue

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org...-health-issue/

“With approximately 30,000 men, women and children dying each year at the barrel of a gun in elementary schools, movie theaters, workplaces, houses of worship and on live television, the United States faces a public health crisis of gun violence,” said AMA President Steven J. Stack, M.D. “Even as America faces a crisis unrivaled in any other developed country, the Congress prohibits the CDC from conducting the very research that would help us understand the problems associated with gun violence and determine how to reduce the high rate of firearm-related deaths and injuries. An epidemiological analysis of gun violence is vital so physicians and other health providers, law enforcement, and society at large may be able to prevent injury, death and other harms to society resulting from firearms.”

Sanders got the gun makers' liability issue dead wrong

http://www.latimes.com/business/hilt...07-column.html

Sandy Hook Families’ Lawsuit Against Bushmaster Gets Trial Date

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news.../20/405900.htm

The families claim Bushmaster Firearms International LLC, a unit of Cerberus Capital Management LP’s Remington Arms Co., engineered the rifle specifically for the U.S. military to kill in combat and is being wrongfully sold to civilians to make a profit. In a ruling last week, Bellis denied a request to toss the case on the grounds that it was automatically blocked by a 2005 federal law shielding gunmakers from liability in most cases.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2016, 12:56 PM   #2988
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

go Sandy Hook families go

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 11:27 AM   #2989
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Meanwhile, look for an uptick in massacres in the near future:

Online gun shop sells 30,000 AR-15 assault rifles in one week
Old 06-21-2016, 11:33 AM   #2990
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oddly it looks like the Orlando thread has been closed... not sure why.

Anyway, I just can't see any reason why the AR15 in particular is this huge threat for mass shootings? The guy had a handgun on him, in addition to an AR15 - it seems to me that he would have done just as much damage with the handgun. They're both semi-automatic weapons with a similar fire rate.

Is there some reason I'm wrong about this? I don't know much about guns, but it's not like he's trying to aim and shoot at people from 30+ yards away, he's just firing bullets more or less randomly into a crowd of people. The same thing is true of most of these incidents where the "number of people shot count" is high, like the Colorado theatre shooting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #2991
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Isn't the clip bigger?
Old 06-21-2016, 11:45 AM   #2992
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Privatize the gun stores and the weapon manufacturers. Repeal business licenses to all current stores and just do away with the ability to buy or make new guns. Let's get extreme.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #2993
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Anyway, I just can't see any reason why the AR15 in particular is this huge threat for mass shootings? The guy had a handgun on him, in addition to an AR15 - it seems to me that he would have done just as much damage with the handgun. They're both semi-automatic weapons with a similar fire rate.

Is there some reason I'm wrong about this? I don't know much about guns, but it's not like he's trying to aim and shoot at people from 30+ yards away, he's just firing bullets more or less randomly into a crowd of people. The same thing is true of most of these incidents where the "number of people shot count" is high, like the Colorado theatre shooting.
The AR-15 is a red herring to me, in the way of these conversations tend to divulge into "It's an assault weapon" vs "It's not because of clip size, fire rate, etc..." ignoring the whole premise of its a weapon made to kill people at alarming rates, with great precision, and do so indiscriminately.

The bolded can be applied to any gun that can do those things, which is pretty much all of them.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #2994
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Isn't the clip bigger?
You might be right, a quick google suggests that a 9mm pistol of the type he had can hold 20 rounds as opposed to the AR15 holding 30, though that doesn't seem like worlds apart.

My point is that everyone seems to be focusing on the assault weapon thing. Even if no one could buy AR15s and he had to make do with his handgun, seems to me that he still causes about the same amount of carnage.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #2995
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The AR-15 can be modified to become a quasi automatic weapon which is what makes it so popular.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #2996
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The AR15 has a higher magazine capacity, fires the round at a much higher rate and is far and away more accurate than a pistol. I'm not saying a pistol can't inflict mass casualties as it happened at the church shooting last year I believe. It's just that semi auto rifles like the AR15 can inflict much much more damage at a quicker rate.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:59 AM   #2997
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I believe the AR can very easily modify to allow burst firing as well as a larger clip. In the case of the Orlando shooting the guns were stock as they were bought the day before. Would the AR or a similar weapon be more powerful than a pistol?
Old 06-21-2016, 12:38 PM   #2998
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm no expert but, and somone can elaborate on this, Rifles and pistols are very different in accuracy, velocity, and effect.

I don't know a good analogy, but a pistol is brute force stopping power, Like getting hit is the face with a bat. A rifle shot will go right through you and keep going. They are both lethal for different reasons.

Police use bullets that expand and cut doing massive damage, causing the target to bleed out, penetration is not very deep. A rifle shot causes velocity related damage.

In war rifles are not exactly designed to kill. The full metal jacket is designed to go clean through, leaving a live victim, taking 2 more combatants out of play to tend to his injuries. That said, when the bullet goes through a major organ you will be pretty much screwed.
Old 06-21-2016, 12:41 PM   #2999
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not that it changes things much, but can we please stop saying it was an AR-15 used in the Orlando shooting? It was a Sig Sauer MCX which is similar but not the same gun. The gun advocates online are dismissing any anti-gun discussion because the shooter didn't use an AR-15 and apparently if we're wrong about that it means we're wrong about guns being a problem too...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bandwagon In Flames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2016, 01:09 PM   #3000
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I'm no expert but, and somone can elaborate on this, Rifles and pistols are very different in accuracy, velocity, and effect.

I don't know a good analogy, but a pistol is brute force stopping power, Like getting hit is the face with a bat. A rifle shot will go right through you and keep going. They are both lethal for different reasons.
Pistols aren't really brute force. Pretty much all the popular pistol cartridges 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP are subsonic rounds meaning they travel below the speed of sound. The main "advantage" of a pistol over a rifle is size and concealment.

The AR15 cartridges (.223) as far as rifles are concerned, aren't all that powerful either. They are only barely larger than a .22 as the name suggests. The main difference is velocity. 3300 fps for the .223 vs 1200 fps for the .22

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 06-21-2016 at 01:13 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread