Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What happens with Ortio in the show?
Granlund is back, scoring prowess will keep them rolling 4 7.84%
A bit of a step back, but still a top end AHL squad 37 72.55%
.500 until his return 10 19.61%
Big losing streak on the horizon. 0 0%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default QOTD: Can the Baby Flames survive Ortio's promotion?

Thiessen has played well, but how much of the team's Nov-Dec surge was on Ortio's shoulders?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Radically Red
First Line Centre

Exp:

Depends how long he is gone for. If its a game or two then they should be fine. I went with number 2.
Radically Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #3
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The November/December surge was due to the ENTIRE team coming together and playing as a team. Not individual efforts. Sorry Bingo but I disagree with all options. I think you missed the mark on this one.

Thiessen has proven to be a more then capable backup goalie and Doug Carr is steady in his own right.

Perhaps last year when MacDonald was in net and our goaltending was the only thing keeping the team going for long stretches this would be relevant, but this year we have a very strong backup goalie and another one signed playing in the ECHL ready for this sort of thing.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Granlund ain't back
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #5
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I hope they bring Carr back and play him to see what he can bring. I have a feeling that he will prove to be the best of the bunch (except for Gilles)
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:26 PM   #6
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Sorry Bingo but I disagree with all options. I think you missed the mark on this one.
What's wrong with option #2 then? Surely losing their starter is a small step back...
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 04:55 PM   #7
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

As long as it isn't for too long, it shouldn't be a problem whatsoever.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #8
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
The November/December surge was due to the ENTIRE team coming together and playing as a team. Not individual efforts. Sorry Bingo but I disagree with all options. I think you missed the mark on this one.
And I will continue to miss the mark as I'm not watching this team every day. Just trying to help you guys get more discussion going.

So how did I miss the mark? Did I need a no step back at all option? Seems to me #2 was pretty close and isn't Ortio one of the team's best two or three players? Has to have some impact.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ortio has been good of late, but so has Theissen. The Flames defense as a team has limited the other team both in quality and number of shots recently making their job easier. In the beginning, both the defense and the goalies sucked, which was the problem.

Right now, losing Ortio would be like the Flames losing Hiller. Ramo (Theissen) would be a step down, but not much.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 05:33 PM   #10
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have liked a "no step back" option as unlike last year where yes, absolutely Ortio was the reason for wins and losing him was an absolute devastation, we don't have that same thing this year.

Ortio is one of the better/best players on the team, but the makeup of this team over last year doesn't make the loss of him as bad. Same way if we lost Poirier, the offense wouldn't dry up. We have a very strong backup goalie whose ranked #14 in the AHL, and technically better then Ortio who is ranked #26. We also have a defensive system that doesn't involve the words "Ortio will stop it, don't worry if it slips through us" like last year. We are not handcuffed in the same way we were last year. Thiessen's last 4 starts have him posting a 0.00, 1.02, 1.79 and 1.00 GAA and SV% of 1.00, .947, .959 and .963. That's solid for a starter, nevermind the backup. If you look at his starts for the year, aside from the disaster we call October and a couple real bed messers (both times the team in front of him gave up and he really didn't have anything to work with), he's kept the GAA below 2.00 and SV% above .940. There's NOTHING wrong with that.

As I said in the General Discussion thread, I don't have a concern with losing Ortio. Thiessen has been excellent lately and is more then able to take over the job for a few nights. Carr is also an excellent goalie and can handle the job. Our defensive play, both from defencemen and forwards has been stingy and something Huska is demanding better from constantly. I actually expect the guys to play a little stronger for Thiessen, as they did for the SO in Rochester.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #11
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was checking out Carr's ECHL stats the other day and they are nothing to write home about. Maybe he'll have better success with a better team.

http://echl.com/stats/player.php?id=5520
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote