Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 06:47 PM   #13641
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's an interesting idea. Poland does hold some interest of Belarus on the other border, and NATO troops holding them would either be boots in Ukraine or Belarus itself.

On the other hand, if Moldova actively asks for help, their whole area could be cleared by NATO and eliminate the threat from that border forever, while strengthening Moldovas stability.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:01 PM   #13642
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think that is pretty much what France was suggesting. Send in soldiers as peace keepers to protect the borders, freeing up Ukrainian soldier for frontline duty.

The theory is that Russia (or Belarus) wouldn't dare attack NATO soldier. I am not so sure that is true though. The world perspective of Russian leaders is hard to predict. It's like trying to predict what a lunatic would do.
Old 04-10-2024, 08:02 PM   #13643
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think that Russia admits that the soldiers in Moldova are theirs, but rather freedom fighters. The same tactic that they used in Ukraine for the last decade. So if Moldova asks for NATO help to clear them, it's a domestic threat and Russia can bite a lemon.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:47 AM   #13644
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I don't think that Russia admits that the soldiers in Moldova are theirs, but rather freedom fighters. The same tactic that they used in Ukraine for the last decade. So if Moldova asks for NATO help to clear them, it's a domestic threat and Russia can bite a lemon.
Yeah this is the obvious downside to using false flag operators, you can't really cry foul when something happens to them.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:45 PM   #13645
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Russia's army is now 15% bigger than when it invaded Ukraine, says US general
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...l-2024-4%3famp
Quote:
"The army is actually now larger — by 15 percent — than it was when it invaded Ukraine," US Army Gen. Christopher Cavoli, NATO's Supreme Allied Commander Europe, told the House Armed Services Committee in a hearing.

"Over the past year, Russia increased its front-line troop strength from 360,000 to 470,000,"
I think the danger is the west underestimating Russia, after Russia underestimated Ukraine. It's not a good situation
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:29 PM   #13646
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

They might have more manpower, but they’ve definitely worked their way through a substantial amount of the Soviet inventory.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1778449016071622958
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 04:01 PM   #13647
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playfair View Post

I think the danger is the west underestimating Russia, after Russia underestimated Ukraine. It's not a good situation
LOL maybe if you substituted nuclear warheads for troops we might have to worry.

I'm sure Ukraine has 2 drones for each of their soldiers.
Old 04-11-2024, 05:50 PM   #13648
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
LOL maybe if you substituted nuclear warheads for troops we might have to worry.

I'm sure Ukraine has 2 drones for each of their soldiers.
I see an arrogance in the western world. Russia isn't fighting alone. They are getting weapons channelled in from North Korea and others, in one way shape or form. The whole reason we are in this situation is because the west took Russian aggression far too passively when they entered Crimea.

The West should have stood against aggression then. Now because of a lack of action, especially from Obama at the time who didn't take this situation seriously, we are in this situation. War fatigue is making the west less interested, maybe the wrong word, but it puts the west in a far more dangerous position.

Complacency leads to our own destruction in our personal life, communities, province, or country. It's dangerous
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Playfair For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 09:44 PM   #13649
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I see an arrogance in the western world. Russia isn't fighting alone. They are getting weapons channelled in from North Korea and others, in one way shape or form. The whole reason we are in this situation is because the west took Russian aggression far too passively when they entered Crimea.

The West should have stood against aggression then. Now because of a lack of action, especially from Obama at the time who didn't take this situation seriously, we are in this situation. War fatigue is making the west less interested, maybe the wrong word, but it puts the west in a far more dangerous position.

Complacency leads to our own destruction in our personal life, communities, province, or country. It's dangerous
Please elaborate how you think the west is in a more dangerous situation since Russia began its war. They are going through their inventory at alarming rates and the west has spent no human capital and war stores are sufficient.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 07:28 AM   #13650
Language
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It’s infuriating, saddening and utmost illogical how impotent the U.S. has become in regards to helping Ukraine. In many years this will be looked back as a giant blunder, unless of course the entire U.S. administration is under the Russian spell by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Language is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Language For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 08:41 AM   #13651
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Please elaborate how you think the west is in a more dangerous situation since Russia began its war. They are going through their inventory at alarming rates and the west has spent no human capital and war stores are sufficient.
What Language said.
Old 04-12-2024, 09:03 AM   #13652
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Depends how you define "dangerous". One of the mistakes Western politicians, citizens and frankly NATO makes on a consistent basis is assuming that a conflict with russian entails a shooting match, bombs dropping on each other, or tanks rolling over the borders. Yet, russia has been in a conflict with us for years through the various disinformation campaigns, propaganda on a massive scale, and blackmail/bribery of various politicians and their parties. That is infinitely more effective then the military conflict NATO is prepared for.

Turning a blind eye to all that and thinking that as long as russia isn't rolling tanks over the border or dropping nukes means we are "safe", that is what makes it dangerous. Because now you have multiple Western entities ignoring russia's doings as long as nothing is going boom or shots fired. Russia has been eating us internally for years now. It works. And the West is too stupid/lazy to react to it, let alone recognize it's happening. It's in fact being embraced by many people. The russians are sack of ####, but they aren't stupid. They know it's working and it is they who don't have to fire a single shot at us.

Having your democratic institutions eaten alive internally is frankly much more dangerous than any kind of shooting match that could happen. Because we allow it to happen. We laugh at russia because their army is a "paper tiger", yet I believe it is our side that is the paper tiger. All the best planes, tanks, missiles we supposedly have on the ready mean SFA when you have a country like the US ready to vote back in the orange goof who will do much more damage to the US than any kind of nuke could. It's already happened in Slovakia, Netherlands and Hungary. Austria is on it's way. Just wait if/when the US elects Trump again.

I couldn't care less about russia losing a millions tanks or missiles and people saying how we are now safer because they have less equipment. As long as Western countries pretend they are safe and plug their ears when faced with russian information wars, we are in a very dangerous situation because nobody here acts on it. Russian neckbeards will be our undoing at this rate.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 09:56 AM   #13653
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my big takeaways from my latest #Ukraine visit is the need to change strategy. Current war strategy is focussed on 'defending Ukraine'. This is now a strategy for defeat and must evolve. 1/10

https://twitter.com/user/status/1778570779086766582
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 10:47 AM   #13654
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Depends how you define "dangerous". One of the mistakes Western politicians, citizens and frankly NATO makes on a consistent basis is assuming that a conflict with russian entails a shooting match, bombs dropping on each other, or tanks rolling over the borders. Yet, russia has been in a conflict with us for years through the various disinformation campaigns, propaganda on a massive scale, and blackmail/bribery of various politicians and their parties. That is infinitely more effective then the military conflict NATO is prepared for.

Turning a blind eye to all that and thinking that as long as russia isn't rolling tanks over the border or dropping nukes means we are "safe", that is what makes it dangerous. Because now you have multiple Western entities ignoring russia's doings as long as nothing is going boom or shots fired. Russia has been eating us internally for years now. It works. And the West is too stupid/lazy to react to it, let alone recognize it's happening. It's in fact being embraced by many people. The russians are sack of ####, but they aren't stupid. They know it's working and it is they who don't have to fire a single shot at us.

Having your democratic institutions eaten alive internally is frankly much more dangerous than any kind of shooting match that could happen. Because we allow it to happen. We laugh at russia because their army is a "paper tiger", yet I believe it is our side that is the paper tiger. All the best planes, tanks, missiles we supposedly have on the ready mean SFA when you have a country like the US ready to vote back in the orange goof who will do much more damage to the US than any kind of nuke could. It's already happened in Slovakia, Netherlands and Hungary. Austria is on it's way. Just wait if/when the US elects Trump again.

I couldn't care less about russia losing a millions tanks or missiles and people saying how we are now safer because they have less equipment. As long as Western countries pretend they are safe and plug their ears when faced with russian information wars, we are in a very dangerous situation because nobody here acts on it. Russian neckbeards will be our undoing at this rate.
Great points, but not relevant to the point I was trying to make. Is Russia militarily more capable today than they were on February 23 2022? Russia has always been dangerous, its the reason NATO exists.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:13 PM   #13655
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Great points, but not relevant to the point I was trying to make. Is Russia militarily more capable today than they were on February 23 2022? Russia has always been dangerous, its the reason NATO exists.
Large does not equal more capable or dangerous.

I don't think the West and NATO every fear Russian's conventional weapons.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 12:16 PM   #13656
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post

Perfectly stated.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 02:44 PM   #13657
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Large does not equal more capable or dangerous.

I don't think the West and NATO every fear Russian's conventional weapons.
I love how revisionist people can be. There is no way prior to Feb 2022 people would say Russia's military was not in the top 3 in the world. I think today we can firmly say the world not only misjudged their power at that point, but also couple this with the fact they have also lost a lot of sophisticated aircraft and naval vessels even before considering artillery, tanks, and other land craft.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
TKB
Old 04-12-2024, 04:18 PM   #13658
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I love how revisionist people can be. There is no way prior to Feb 2022 people would say Russia's military was not in the top 3 in the world. I think today we can firmly say the world not only misjudged their power at that point, but also couple this with the fact they have also lost a lot of sophisticated aircraft and naval vessels even before considering artillery, tanks, and other land craft.
I’m not using revisionist history.

I’m using I lived it history.

The JNA was I think the 4th largest army at the collapse of Yugo, their kit was ####. Appalling quality crap, they just had a lot of it.

It solidified my opinion that while it would hurt NATO would be the Warsaw Pact in a conventional war.

It has always been and continues to be the threat of Nuclear weapons that build Moscow’s “strength”

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:41 PM   #13659
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I’m not using revisionist history.

I’m using I lived it history.

The JNA was I think the 4th largest army at the collapse of Yugo, their kit was ####. Appalling quality crap, they just had a lot of it.

It solidified my opinion that while it would hurt NATO would be the Warsaw Pact in a conventional war.

It has always been and continues to be the threat of Nuclear weapons that build Moscow’s “strength”
The also had #### soldiers. A largely conscripted military with an automatic 5 year prison sentence for refusing. Probably a similar situation with the Russian rank and file guys. Under qualified and resentful, and the ones who do want to be there, are there for the wrong reasons.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-12-2024 at 05:12 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 04:47 PM   #13660
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Larger, but diluted with soldiers with less training including conscripts that probably don't share the resolve of their superiors. And they wont have enough modern/functional equipment to arm this larger army with. We're already seeing degradation on that front as they reach into their stock of outdated/inferior equipment.

It really does mean much.

Quite frankly, it's a weak flex.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
atrocity , badass zelensky , lying russians , mad man , sneaky fn russian , war sucks