Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Old 07-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #501
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOT View Post
And besides the guy who shot a kid, who else can back up these events?

Up to the prosecution to prove otherwise.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #502
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If this was a wannabe-cop black guy shooting a white kid, we all know how this would have gone.

That's not to say Zimmerman is guilty (I think he is), it's just a sad commentary on the way things work in Florida (and the US in general).
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

evman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to evman150 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #503
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
It's more complicated than that. This all occurred in a gated community where Zimmerman was the elected program coordinator of the neighbourhood watch within that community.

Where did you hear this, I heard he was "self appointed".

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #504
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #505
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it's true that Trayvon chased Zimmerman down after he'd ended his pursuit, that definitely pushes things more towards the manslaughter realm and away from murder.
If (heavy heavy emphasis on if) that's true it's a big enough push to bypass manslaughter altogether and reach self-defense.
Quote:
The several witnesses testifying.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #506
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Prosecution would probably have gotten a conviction on manslaughter if that had been their initial plan. Going for the murder charge was not wise at all.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #507
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys are dumb.

There's no way a guy who owns a gun would ever shoot a black kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:42 AM   #508
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's pretty irrelevant here. He had also broken off contact with Martin and was returning to his truck. Martin was no longer in any kind of jeopardy. When Martin basically chased down Zimmerman pinned him down and started basically beating on him, he became the aggressor. Non of the prior pursuit at that point matters in this case.

Its not murder, its manslaughter at best. In the eyes of the law it could very well be defined as self defense.
Bull####. You can't honestly believe that a confrontation that happened moments earlier had no bearing on the event.

Come on man.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #509
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's pretty irrelevant here. He had also broken off contact with Martin and was returning to his truck. Martin was no longer in any kind of jeopardy. When Martin basically chased down Zimmerman pinned him down and started basically beating on him, he became the aggressor. Non of the prior pursuit at that point matters in this case.

Its not murder, its manslaughter at best. In the eyes of the law it could very well be defined as self defense.
The prosecution lawyers probably thought they had an uphill battle right from the start after the politically motivated charges from their fearful leader looking to push the decision onto a jury.

Generally, internally in the court room, the prosecution has not attempted to make any murder case based on race. That's pretty telling.

External to the court room, lots of people are still trying to whip up the race card, basically ignoring what's going on in the courtroom.

The prosecution seems to have given up on 2nd degree murder by agreeing with the defence that Martin being on top of Zimmerman is a credible alternative explanation. It was the prosecution that agreed in front of the jury there is reasonable doubt for murder.

Manslaughter is a possibility but I think the Creepy Cracker will walk. As he should.

Cowperson
Old 07-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #510
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Prosecution would probably have gotten a conviction on manslaughter if that had been their initial plan. Going for the murder charge was not wise at all.
Manslaughter is an included offence to murder. It's common for failed murder-2 charges to end up in manslaughter convictions.

It can also be advantageous to pursue the higher offence, as it creates a feeling of compromise within the jury. There's to stop you from pursuing the elements of manslaughter during your murder trial.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #511
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's more complicated than that. This all occurred in a gated community where Zimmerman was the elected program coordinator of the neighbourhood watch within that community.

The gated community is private property. It was Zimmerman's job to investigate suspicious people on that property. Zimmerman may have been totally out of line stopping Trayvon in the first place. However, even though that might be racist that's not, in itself, a crime. It should also be kept in mind that Zimmerman is 1/8th black and does not look white in any way. That, however, doesn't stop someone from being racist towards someone who is more black.

Then again, Zimmerman was dealing with a rash of break-ins in the community involving suspects that fit Trayvon's description. Trayvon was also not a resident of the community, but staying as a guest. Zimmerman would, therefore, not have known who he was. The community was 260 town houses, so Zimmerman probably knew all of the residents.

There are a lot of things going on in this case, and the media has been out of control.
None of that has anything to do with the actual shooting of the kid.

Although I am kind of interested in hearing about this "election".

Quote:
If it's true that Trayvon chased Zimmerman down after he'd ended his pursuit, that definitely pushes things more towards the manslaughter realm and away from murder.
I haven't followed terribly closely... where does the "chased him down" explanation come from? I read a few stories in the lamestream media and none of them mentioned it.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #512
NuclearPizzaMan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Up to the prosecution to prove otherwise.
Justification is an affirmative defense...
NuclearPizzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #513
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Innocent until proven guilty?
I agree with that. I'm just saying people are taking the events of the guy who is alive and shot a kid like it's gold. I haven't followed the case, the drama is too much for me really, so I don't know all the details but it just seems funny to me how people are so sure that the events happened like they did based on the guy who shot a kid telling them so.

From the clips I have seen it seems both sides have holes in their case and Zimmerman has been caught in a few lies with details. IMO he should have never been following him to start and let the police deal with it but he wanted to be a hero because his whole life he has failed at doing so.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #514
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Where did you hear this, I heard he was "self appointed".
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/23/us...ups.html?_r=2&

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/T...143579196.html

However, I should correct myself. There is no evidence of an election. He may have been appointed by the watch itself, but he was definitely the appointed head of that watch.

Various national neighborhood watch programs have spoken out about how Zimmerman's group was not registered with them. However, there's no such thing as an official neighborhood watch body. Also, as previously stated, the shooting occurred on private property. Assuming the strata okayed the patrols, Zimmerman would have been well within his rights to question strangers on the strata grounds.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #515
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
None of that has anything to do with the actual shooting of the kid.

Although I am kind of interested in hearing about this "election".
As I stated in my previous post, I shouldn't have used the word election. He was probably just appointed.

And yes, him being appointed as the head of a neighbourhood watch on private property is relevant to this case. We are looking specifically at what happened directly before the shooting to establish men's rea. It's just as relevant as the prosecutiong and the media using Zimmerman's racist beliefs to establish murder.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #516
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with that. I'm just saying people are taking the events of the guy who is alive and shot a kid like it's gold. I haven't followed the case, the drama is too much for me really, so I don't know all the details but it just seems funny to me how people are so sure that the events happened like they did based on the guy who shot a kid telling them so.

From the clips I have seen it seems both sides have holes in their case and Zimmerman has been caught in a few lies with details. IMO he should have never been following him to start and let the police deal with it but he wanted to be a hero because his whole life he has failed at doing so.

I agree with your post, but was wondering what you based the last part of your last sentence on?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #517
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with that. I'm just saying people are taking the events of the guy who is alive and shot a kid like it's gold.
Who?

For someone admittedly not following the details of the case, why are you suggesting what others are doing?

The shift in belief of Zimmerman being a white racist who shot in cold blood an innocent black child that the media made him out to be when it happened to what others believe now is because of witness testimony, expert analysis and the rest of the defender's attorney's case.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #518
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest problem here is that the head of a neighbourhood watch club gets to carry around a gun. A guy who wasn't good enough to be an officer of the law was appointed, likely be some other loser, to have authority.

His job should be to "watch the neighbourhood" and then tattle to the police. This guy is a walking and breathing poster for gun control. Even though I think he is guilty enough that he should be punished, he is a total product of the environment. It's a given that when you have lax gun control, cop wannabes, and "stand your ground" laws; it is going to end very badly for some people.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:38 PM   #519
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
The shift in belief of Zimmerman being a white racist who shot in cold blood an innocent black child that the media made him out to be when it happened to what others believe now is because of witness testimony, expert analysis and the rest of the defender's attorney's case.
Seriously everyone needs to read this over and over.

There is no conspiracy against black people. There is just evidence, analysis, and critical thinking, where there wasn't before.

If your critical thinking and analysis leads you to the same conclusion as before, that is 100% valid. But pulling the "omg media is biased, he shot a "kid", Zimmerman wanted to be a hero" and other garbage remarks just makes your position look extremely weak.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #520
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The biggest problem here is that the head of a neighbourhood watch club gets to carry around a gun. A guy who wasn't good enough to be an officer of the law was appointed, likely be some other loser, to have authority.

His job should be to "watch the neighbourhood" and then tattle to the police. This guy is a walking and breathing poster for gun control. Even though I think he is guilty enough that he should be punished, he is a total product of the environment. It's a given that when you have lax gun control, cop wannabes, and "stand your ground" laws; it is going to end very badly for some people.
The Problem is wider than that. The problem is that the law in Florida allows anyone to carry a gun. The only requirement is an easily attainable permit. Zimmerman had even been arrested in 2005 for assaulting a police officer. Zimmerman also had a restraining order filed agaisnt him for an incident of domestic violence.

You'd be surprised how many people in a state like Florida are carrying guns. I'm not even an anti-gun guy, but having a large segment of the population carrying concealed handguns a day to day basis is just a bad idea.

In Zimmerman's defence, he was advised to get a gun by authorities following a run in with a pit bull:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...83O18H20120425