Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2014, 07:21 AM   #881
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm going to come hang out in here. I haven't read the books, but I don't care if things get spoiled.

I'm tired of all the people in the other thread complaining about spoilers all the time. I made a joke about Rob turning into a zombie and I guess his mom is resurrected according to a PM I got (haha).

It was Little Finger that had Joffrey killed, wasn't it? That guy is slimy and has wanted Sansa since she got to Kings Landing.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:25 AM   #882
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah that was my bad. I think it's probably best to just ignore spoilers or shall we say informed posting in that other thread.

Littlefinger supplied the poison via Dontos; Olenna did the poisoning. The show happened much as the books in this respect (although in the books the poison wasn't in a necklace but a jeweled hair net).
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 AM   #883
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is pretty impressive on her (Olenna) part. She is one of my favorite characters in this show.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Tyrion. They seem pretty set on pinning the murder on him, but I don't think they will kill him off. I realize that is stupid to believe because they killed off Ned, but that was needed to move the story along and killing off Tyrion won't progress any story we have seen so far.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:43 AM   #884
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Olenna is fantastic in the show. The books are written first person from the perspective of certain characters, but that writing style necessarily de-emphasizes the non-POV characters. The show has improved on the books in the case of a lot of these non-POV characters (Olenna and Tywin being the most obvious ones).

If you don't want to know what happens to Tyrion this season, you should avoid reading much of this thread because there have to be spoilers for that in here somewhere.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 AM   #885
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not worried about spoilers, that other thread isn't worth the bandwidth. Between people with "guessing" what happens, and people complaining about spoilers it's a waste of time. I don't mind hearing spoilers, but be upfront about it instead of trying to look smart.

My sister has read the books and we were talking about Jon Snow the other day, she told me about the theory behind his lineage and how it's speculated that he isn't actually Ned's son. He was Ned's sisters kid, and she was sleeping around with the Targaryen king (forgot his name)? Stuff like that is neat, and I wouldn't call it a spoiler but everyone in the other thread would get their panties in a wad.
Old 04-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #886
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not the king, the prince - prince Rhaegar. Remember (this has all been mentioned at least tangentially in the show), Robert's Rebellion, the means by which the Targaryens were overthrown, was basically started at a tourney at Harrenhal that was won by Rhaegar. It's customary for the winner to crown a "queen of love and beauty". Rhaegar was married to Elia Martell (the one Oberyn is currently complaining about being murdered at Tywin's order in the show), so you'd assume he'd give his wife his favour. Instead, he gave it to Lyanna Stark, who was supposed to marry Robert Baratheon. Lyanna disappeared a year later and it was assumed that Rhaegar had kidnapped her, triggering the rebellion.

So I guess it could be considered a spoiler in that Jon Snow's heritage could be important at some point. Especially given the mystery surrounding Lyanna's death. Here's a passage about this from the book that would have occurred during the first season when Ned gets attacked and has a fever dream.

Incidentally, that brings up a neat bit of trivia: when Benioff and Weiss pitched Martin about doing his series as a TV show, they talked about the books. Martin's litmus test for whether or not these were the right people to do the show was asking them who they thought Jon Snow's parents were.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 04-22-2014 at 08:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 09:07 AM   #887
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Yea this rumour has been around for a very long time, years before the show ever came around I remember reading an article where Martin all but outright said it was true.. and then he said that he has considered re writing the books because people guessed the direction he was going. He has said it a few times again since then, but also said that would defeat the purpose of writing them as he loves the reader speculation, just hates the internet because it ruins the surprise for many who couldn't figure it out

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories
Old 04-22-2014, 02:15 PM   #888
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't seen last week's episode yet, but if memory serves me correctly, Tyrion deduced that Joffrey was the one that attempted to have Bran murdered while he was in a coma before he died. Now that Joffrey is dead in the show, any idea as to how they will reveal that?
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:50 PM   #889
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Yea this rumour has been around for a very long time, years before the show ever came around I remember reading an article where Martin all but outright said it was true.. and then he said that he has considered re writing the books because people guessed the direction he was going. He has said it a few times again since then, but also said that would defeat the purpose of writing them as he loves the reader speculation, just hates the internet because it ruins the surprise for many who couldn't figure it out

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Jon_Snow/Theories
I actually like knowing the Jon Snow theory. The end of DoD sort of throws that theory for a loop, perhaps the handiwork of one GRRM deliberately going off course?

Not really liking how Samwell is being used on the show, I recall him being one of my favourite characters at this point in the story, but can't wait for his scenes to end. Not having access to Samwells inner thoughts makes his character achingly flat. Pairing him with crasters dull daughter is making for some slow moving television.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2014, 09:27 PM   #890
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

the "guessing" in the other thread is getting great

I almost want to go back to the first few pages and see something random like

"Ned Stark is pushing is luck with the Lannisters in episode 1.... he could be say 8-9 episodes away from... I dono... just throwing out a random guess here.... admitting treason and agreeing to take the black but having the King go back on his word, then he gets his head chopped off in front of his two daughters.

Just a guess but we will see"

"I don't trust that Theon, he seems like the kind of guy to completely turn his back on the Starks and pretend to murder the two young boys"
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #891
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark2 View Post
I haven't seen last week's episode yet, but if memory serves me correctly, Tyrion deduced that Joffrey was the one that attempted to have Bran murdered while he was in a coma before he died. Now that Joffrey is dead in the show, any idea as to how they will reveal that?
IIRC when Tywin gave him Widow's Wail and he made a comment about it not being his first time handling Valyrian Steel, it was a Tyrion chapter and I think there was something noted there about the dagger

they could always have someone else figure it out
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #892
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Decided to post this in here so people don't get their pitchforks out for possible spoilers haha.

Jack Gleeson (Joffrey) Q&A session.

Here's the link, embedding is not working on my part: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PUefiJBJQQ

Last edited by Looch City; 04-24-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #893
Ark2
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
the "guessing" in the other thread is getting great

I almost want to go back to the first few pages and see something random like

"Ned Stark is pushing is luck with the Lannisters in episode 1.... he could be say 8-9 episodes away from... I dono... just throwing out a random guess here.... admitting treason and agreeing to take the black but having the King go back on his word, then he gets his head chopped off in front of his two daughters.

Just a guess but we will see"

"I don't trust that Theon, he seems like the kind of guy to completely turn his back on the Starks and pretend to murder the two young boys"
Got to love the theatrics by Daradon trying to convince everyone that he isn't one of these people. Even went so far as to "accidently" misspell "Walder Frey" as "Walter Frey"
Ark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #894
strombad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't even remotely understand the people who complain about people "policing" the thread for spoilers.

The whole "well now you've confirmed it so YOU spoiled it" is just silly, when someone comes in with an elaborate idea that NO show watcher would've possibly seen coming and placed that idea in the minds of everyone who would've never considered it otherwise, I'm sorry, THAT's the spoiler.

Just because you don't know you've read a spoiler doesn't mean it's not a spoiler. But whatever I guess, fair game to let guys like Daradon and Ryz ruin the show right in front of everyone's faces.
strombad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #895
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

The funny thing with Daradon is he's even talked about how the House of the Undying and Jon and Ygritte's scenes "probably" differed in the books and underwhelmed on televison. It's so obvious he knows more than he's pretending. At the very least he's had discussions with someone who read the book or seen some wiki's.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #896
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Every forum I visit, there's a ongoing beef between show watchers and book readers of this show.

I don't really understand how you can have an account at a forum you frequent regularly and say you don't have time or patience for the books. It's contradictory. Your brain and imagination is a better for interpreting this story than what the show gives you, IMO.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to saillias For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #897
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just finished reading A Feast for Crows and picked up A Dance with Dragons today.

Good stuff.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 05:16 AM   #898
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you don't want to read the books, are illiterate, hate reading, whatever that's fine. Just know that when you're on the internet reading and talking about GoT you're beyond the wall and you put yourself there.

I'm not saying it's right. You should be able to discuss things without spoilers. But this isn't Valhalla, this is the freaking internet, the spawing ground of goatse and Rick Roll. Why on earth would you think you'd be safe and put your trust in something where the stakes are so low and the troll satisfying factor is so high?

Last edited by Tinordi; 04-24-2014 at 05:25 AM.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #899
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

The statement I don't understand is "I don't want to ruin the tv show by reading the book."

I can say that reading the books has really only enhanced the tv show for me.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2014, 08:09 AM   #900
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hahaha has anyone said that?

Actually I do know someone from my work who watched S1 and was into it so he started reading the books. But then he decided that while the show was good, the books were too geeky for him to continue with.

Malcolm's post reminds me, did anyone read AFFC/ADWD as one book? http://boiledleather.com/post/259025...ng-order-for-a
I wasn't really drawn into AFFC at all until I started the dual-read at which point it became about ten times better. Which makes sense considering they were supposed to be one book originally.

Tags
books , it is known , spoilers , winter is coming