Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Amazon Prime Day Deals

So there have been some steals, it looks, during the Prime Day Deals for Amazon Prime members. Thought I would post up what I am looking to purchase and also looking for some TV buying advice. Never bought a TV in almost 31 years of living, so figured I would entrust such a momentous decision to the collective wisdom of CP.

Not huge on watching TV, but I certainly do dabble in Netflix on occasion on top of the occasional gaming (nothing serious - Nintendo Wii U) and movie.

The following TV going for 370$:

https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-D32x-D1-...rds=vizio&th=1

Any thoughts?
something is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:21 AM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I grabbed one of these for my wife:

https://www.amazon.ca/Asus-T102HA-D4...9789999&sr=1-2

Reviews say it is a bit slow, but I think it will be OK. For $100 less than the previous lowest price it seems like a pretty good deal.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:26 AM   #3
something
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Looks like a good browser/basic comp. I have heard good things about the transformer line from ASUS.

Just a heads up to everyone, you can check out price history for almost all items on Amazon through ca.camelcamelcamel.com.
something is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to something For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by something View Post
The following TV going for 370$:

https://www.amazon.ca/VIZIO-D32x-D1-...rds=vizio&th=1

Any thoughts?
It's a good deal for what it is. Generally you can rely on rtings for tv comparisons. Vizio tends to be better than the competition for video games.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/d-series-4k-2016

Thanks to Resolute14's heads up, I got an Xbox one package with a couple of controllers, a kinect, 3 games and some other accessories. Also bought some random stuff, like a timed food bowl for the cat for when I'm out of town for a few days and a new keyboard and mouse since that same cat ate the cord for the last one. Was hoping for the vizio sb4551 to drop down, but only the 38 inch version did so.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 07-11-2017 at 10:50 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's not a great deal for a not great TV.

the D series leave a lot to be desired when it comes to their smart tech. Slow/unresponsive menus, app crashing.

I would stay away honestly.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:57 AM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not to hijack the thread to talk about TVs, but what do people actually use as far as smart tech goes? I use a netflix app and a youtube app and that's... it. And frankly there are a dozen ways I could get that if I didn't have it built into the TV - if you're really lacking in smart features, can't you just let your blu ray player or PS4 or what have you fill that void?

If there's some life changing thing about smart TV content, I've not found it yet.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #7
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Not to hijack the thread to talk about TVs, but what do people actually use as far as smart tech goes? I use a netflix app and a youtube app and that's... it. And frankly there are a dozen ways I could get that if I didn't have it built into the TV - if you're really lacking in smart features, can't you just let your blu ray player or PS4 or what have you fill that void?

If there's some life changing thing about smart TV content, I've not found it yet.
Well, the point is more that the TV is lacking in the specific qualities it is advertising, so if you're expecting that kind of functionality you'll be less than impressed by what you get.

While there may be alternatives for getting that stuff on your tv, those alternatives all cost extra, and the TV is advertising it does those things. If it's advertising that it does those things, it should probably do them.

Vizio D-Series is junk in my opinion, and the sale price of ~350 is not a tremendous sale price considering 43" vizios were selling on Amazon 6 months ago for sub 250.
Old 07-11-2017, 12:11 PM   #8
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's not really a great deal for that TV. Costco usually has similar prices for that when they go on sale and you can at least buy a super cheap great warranty with it.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 12:13 PM   #9
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I use the MLB.tv app on my girlfriend's TV and the picture is 1000x better than what the PS4 version produces.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #10
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon Echo is the US is a great price today, $89.99
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #11
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Native HDR/Dolby Vision with Netflix and Amazon Prime is the best reason to use them.

On topic:

There was an Xbox One S bundle with 2 Controllers, kinect, a keyboard and Halo/Forza/Something else for $329 CDN this morning but it's sold out. Probs the best deal so far today.

EDIT: no they still have it

https://www.amazon.ca/Console-Wirele...&keywords=xbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-11-2017 at 12:35 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 PM   #12
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Generally speaking, Amazon Prime Day "deals" are akin to the front entrance tables at Winners. A bunch of meh really and products that I don't really need.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:57 PM   #13
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Generally speaking, Amazon Prime Day "deals" are akin to the front entrance tables at Winners. A bunch of meh really and products that I don't really need.
It is mostly an excuse to clear out stagnant inventory in preparation for the upcoming fall shopping season.
Old 07-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #14
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The Origin of Prime Day

Link

http://i.imgur.com/iTyA5YL.mp4
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSimpsons..._of_prime_day/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #15
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were a handful of legitamite deals, but a tonne of off-brand Chinesium grade crap.

Ran into a few items where their "lightning deal" on some car detailing stuff was double what the regular price is at any other online store and 80% more than MSRP. Absolute joke!
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:05 PM   #16
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing I bought was Blu-rays of seasons 1-6 of GOT.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:33 PM   #17
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Got some Anker stuff I was meaning to buy. Saved a bit of money, but nothing jaw-dropping.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing interested me this year. I was hoping MLB The Show 17 would go on sale like 16 did last year. Makes me regret signing up for the trial without checking the deals first but I guess I can finally try out Amazon Video for a month.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 11:00 PM   #19
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I bought a 50ft outdoor extension cord.
Old 07-12-2017, 01:00 AM   #20
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got an 8qt pressure cooker/slow cooker for $100 ($80 off). Otherwise I just remembered a few things I wanted/needed by browsing around - nothing on specific sale though.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote