Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #1
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Kidnapped and Tortured: One Player's Unbelievable Story

I came across this article on ESPN today about a college football player who was kidnapped and tortured for 40 hours in 2015. This is straight out of a horror movie.

Quote:
Niko Kollias watched his blood swirl down the bathtub drain. There was so much. And it was coming from so many places. His head. Both of his legs. And the gaping cuts where they had sliced the webbing between his toes.

Even more blood was coating the clothing iron sitting on the sink. He didn't know where they'd put the hedge clippers; he was just glad they were gone. He could still see the roll of duct tape nearby, covered with the bloody fingerprints they'd left behind when they taped his hands and feet together before slamming the rebar and heavy metal pipes down onto him, over and over again. His khaki pants and ripped University of Rochester Football T-shirt sat crumpled in the corner, the blue and yellow of his college colors turning brown as his blood began to oxidize in the fabric.

Kollias wanted to take off his ACL brace, the one he'd been wearing after knee surgery for a recent football injury. He wanted to clean it and his skin underneath. But he worried that if he pulled the brace apart, his leg might actually fall off. His femur was shattered; he'd felt it explode after they shot him there when he tried to run. He didn't realize they'd also shot him in the calf of his other leg. He could no longer feel that leg and couldn't see it because so much blood kept pouring into his eyes from his scalp, over which they had smashed a long, fluorescent lightbulb. It was only then, when the blood just wouldn't stop from that last blow, that they halted their attack and threw him in the shower.

He could hear the men in the room next door, laughing, smoking weed and maybe still wearing those terrifying plastic masks.

But who were they? Kollias didn't know. He could see only their eyes through the masks when they attacked him. He couldn't even see their mouths move as they screamed for revenge. As he sat in the folding chair they'd put into the grimy shower, Kollias, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound University of Rochester senior defensive end, realized he had no idea where he was, who the men were or even what they wanted from him. All he knew was that they had shot and then beaten him for more than three hours.

As he sat there in the shower watching his blood pour down the drain, Kollias had no idea that it was all connected to his football team. And he had no way of knowing that the torture had only just begun.
http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...tured-40-hours

E:60 will also be running a feature on Sunday.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2017, 10:11 AM   #2
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is a crazy story. Thanks for sharing

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow...WTF?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #4
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:49 PM   #5
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is insane, thank for sharing
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:46 PM   #6
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Some info about the criminals involved:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/...ping/94275960/

Quote:
Renzi sentenced the four to agreed-upon pleas: 35 years for Dennis Perez and Elliot Rivera, 15 years for Samantha Hughes, and 13 years for Leah Gigliotti.

All four pleaded guilty to kidnapping crimes, admitting their parts in the December abduction — a case of mistaken identity that led to two days of torture of the two students before they were rescued by a SWAT team.

The two women helped lure the victims to the Harvest Street home where they were beaten and abused.

Quote:
Assistant District Attorney Matthew Schwartz said that all four shared responsibility for the brutality, regardless of their roles.

"The actions of these four defendants is, quite honestly, difficult to even comprehend," he said.

A fifth, Jesus Castro-Ubiles, pleaded guilty and was sentenced earlier to 35 years in prison.

A jury this week convicted four others who were involved in the crimes. They are scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 21.

Quote:
Six of the seven suspects: (top, left to right) Lydell Strickland, Dennis Perez, Samanatha Hughes, (bottom, left to right) Leah Gigliotti, David Alcaraz-Ubiles, Inalia Rolldan. (POLICE HANDOUT)
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 05:49 PM   #7
Stormchaser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

woah...nightmare stuff
Stormchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #8
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simply incredible.. Thanks for the share
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:00 PM   #9
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know this isn't a valuable contribution, but I gotta say these situations tend to happen in the States, and I attribute it to lack of education for most of these individuals. How anyone could do this to anyone, fully knowing they weren't involved with the original robbery, is beyond ridiculous.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 02:20 AM   #10
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I read the entire story, that's some crazy ****
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 06:08 AM   #11
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I know this isn't a valuable contribution, but I gotta say these situations tend to happen in the States, and I attribute it to lack of education for most of these individuals. How anyone could do this to anyone, fully knowing they weren't involved with the original robbery, is beyond ridiculous.
You included "tend" in your statement so I get what youre saying but the US has about 10X the population of Canada and we are saturated with American media.

Google Dustin Paxton.

Thats a horrible case of kidnapping, confinement, and torture that has a Calgary connection.

Quote:
...the victim of torture so intense, severe, ritualistic and secretive that his own family was unaware it was happening until his near-lifeless body was dropped off in front of a Regina hospital.

The event, and the horrific abuse leading up to it, captured the country's attention in 2010 and, earlier this year, the man behind the torture, Dustin Paxton, was convicted of aggravated and sexual assault.

The victim of the abuse – which left the now-30-year-old with broken ribs, limbs, eye sockets, missing lips, partially missing tongue, crushed face and brain injury...
Quote:
The man, who now lives in B.C., recalled how the abuse started the day he and Paxton moved in together after moving to Calgary from Winnipeg to start their own business.

"Well it was horrible right from the very first day. That's when it all started, was the first day I got to Calgary," he recalls.

"I knocked over a chair on an extension cord on the floor by accident. He got mad at me and started hurting me with his steel toe boot on his hand.

"The beatings continued and continued to get harsh over like the smallest things.

"And then he started to lean on the other sexual part."
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2017, 06:32 AM   #12
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
You included "tend" in your statement so I get what youre saying but the US has about 10X the population of Canada and we are saturated with American media.

Google Dustin Paxton.

Thats a horrible case of kidnapping, confinement, and torture that has a Calgary connection.
Yeah, this isn't just a "States only" thing. Where you have drugs and turf wars... you can have this kind of thing happening. It's just not usually an innocent getting caught up by accident.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #13
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh, I can't even read that article after skimming the excerpts in the OP, makes my stomach churn. What the hell is wrong with people?
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:40 AM   #14
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Ugh, I can't even read that article after skimming the excerpts in the OP, makes my stomach churn. What the hell is wrong with people?
The crazy thing is that was what was done in the first 3 hours. They never described what happened the next 37 hours. Some people are completely messed up.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:48 PM   #15
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Not much to do with education. The player that started the chain of events was a University student, who set people up to be robbed and assaulted with hammers. The ring leader of the kidnapping appears more interested in inflicting torture than he is with collecting money. He even smiled and laughed in court. I would say it's more to do with crossing sociopathic people that happen to be on drugs.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #16
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really what does education have to do with it?

Look at Ted Bundy. Some people are just monsters.

It's amazing that both the campus police and the city police
took the missing persons report seriously right from the start.

That's impressive. Law enforcement here tends to be so cynical.

I guess you can't blame them considering all the crap in South Florida.

Ordinarily I'm against the death penalty. Here there is no question of guilt; I guess it's just who did what .

Torture the m*******s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk