Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #6621
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Most likely it's both.

Although I'm not sure "we don't like having a horribly incompetent corrupt nepotistic proto-fascist treasonous misogynistic racist as a president" really qualifies as ideology.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Obligatory after reading the above...

OH dash_pinched, you were so close to the correct response. (skip to the 1 minute mark)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 05:07 PM   #6622
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Jerk of the week award winner this week........Kelli Ward, A Republican and Trump ally from Arizona for her not-so-sensitive remarks of John McCain's health.

Quote:
A top political rival to John McCain has called upon the US senator to resign following his diagnosis with an aggressive form of brain cancer.

Republican Kelli Ward, a medical doctor who ran a primary campaign against McCain in the 2016 election, said in a Friday statement that 'the medical reality of his diagnosis is grim.'

'As a doctor, I’ve counseled people in similar situations and these end-of-life choices are never easy,' Ward said.

'I usually advise terminal patients to reduce stress, relax, and spend time laughing with loved ones.'
Quote:
'When the time comes that Senator McCain can no longer perform his duties in the Senate at full capacity, he owes it to the people of Arizona to step aside,' Ward's statement said.
Quote:
Ward in her statement said that her prayers were with McCain's family, adding: 'I hope and pray that Senator McCain will be comfortable as he battles this terrible disease.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...step-down.html
Old 07-22-2017, 08:32 PM   #6623
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Trumps online supporters are all in a tizzy about the "prophecy of July 27" which apparently has come from a 4chan poster dubbed "WHAnon" for White House Anonymous. Apparently this poster has been correct in the past and has claimed that the news will seem bad to Trump supporters this week, but it's all to set up something "big" which is to happen on or shortly after July 27.

Current theory is some kind of investigation or indictment of various Obama-era democrats.
That's the day Grassley cancelled the Don Jr hearing and has instead scheduled a hearing with the owner of Fusion GPS - the firm responsible for the infamous "dossier". It's romoured they're going to try to deflect the Russiagate probe by pinning it on the Democrats.

http://nypost.com/2017/06/24/inside-...trump-dossier/

Pro-Trump outlets have been hinting on a secret Obama/Hillary conspiracy responsible for - you guessed it - all of the Russia stuff. Expect to be led to believe that Hillary and Obama worked together to get Russia tired to Trump including the infamous June '16 meeting as a set up to get Trump

The fact that Grassley is agreeing to this is stomach turning
Old 07-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #6624
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Trump Jr and Manafort strike a deal with the House Judiciary committee to keep their hearing with the committee close door. I wonder what kind of deal is being cut for this to happen?

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/21/politi...ate/index.html
See my post above. They've found a way to explain away the Don Jr meeting so they don't have to parade him in front of cameras.

They're going to make it seem like the meeting to get "oppo", was a set up by Hillary trying to get "oppo".

It's the "I know you are but what am I" defense that Trump is famous for.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:00 PM   #6625
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Democrats' rumored message for the 2018 midterms: "A Better Deal: Better Skills, Better Jobs, Better Wages."

What. The. Actual. ####.

Supposedly the result of months of polling and internal deliberations among the House Democratic caucus, which would make sense. None of us is as dumb as all of us.

The democrats have the support of Hollywood. SOMEONE must be able to tell Democrats their messaging stinks, they're squandering a useless president and an ineffective house and senate, Republicans would have their boot on Dem's throat right now if the situations were reversed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2017, 10:04 PM   #6626
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Democrats' rumored message for the 2018 midterms: "A Better Deal: Better Skills, Better Jobs, Better Wages."

What. The. Actual. ####.

Supposedly the result of months of polling and internal deliberations among the House Democratic caucus, which would make sense. None of us is as dumb as all of us.

The democrats have the support of Hollywood. SOMEONE must be able to tell Democrats their messaging stinks, they're squandering a useless president and an ineffective house and senate, Republicans would have their boot on Dem's throat right now if the situations were reversed.
What would you suggest?
Old 07-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #6627
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Dump Trump
Old 07-22-2017, 10:25 PM   #6628
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be interesting to run the entire campaign on that the grounds for impeachment have been reached and obstruction by the US House led by Ryan is all that is stopping it.
Old 07-22-2017, 10:40 PM   #6629
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
What would you suggest?
I have no idea, I'm a nerd, not a marketing person.

EDIT: Better Together, if they're stuck with the better idea. Lol even More Better would be an improvement.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:58 PM   #6630
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post

In a nutshell. Anyone who doesn't understand this is part of the problem.
Great TED talk. Interesting for so many reasons.

I think this video may be worthy of its own thread. I think it would stimulate a lot of good discussion.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #6631
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

An interesting article about anti-intellectualism that has gripped the United States for some years, and Trump being the result.

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/22/drai...tellectualism/
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 PM   #6632
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
An interesting article about anti-intellectualism that has gripped the United States for some years, and Trump being the result.

http://www.salon.com/2017/07/22/drai...tellectualism/
hmmm hard to trust the article when its main premise is that right-wing populism is a deeply anti-intellectual movement to begin with while the left are intellects.

what does that make us in Alberta? hicks?

Old 07-23-2017, 05:29 PM   #6633
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
hmmm hard to trust the article when its main premise is that right-wing populism is a deeply anti-intellectual movement to begin with while the left are intellects.

If that's your response to the article, then yes.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #6634
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

nvm
Old 07-23-2017, 10:25 PM   #6635
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
If that's your response to the article, then yes.
Why does the article need to make a jab that right-wing movements are generally not intellectual? Yes Trump's cabinet is unqualified but there is no correlation.

Notley's cabinet is unqualified too but nobody says the left is dumb.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #6636
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why does the article need to make a jab that right-wing movements are generally not intellectual? Yes Trump's cabinet is unqualified but there is no correlation.

Notley's cabinet is unqualified too but nobody says the left is dumb.
YEs we do, they a bunch of unqualified arts majors who lived off their parents credit and never had to make a real choice in their lives. We spent 3 months on one MLA being stupid and unqualified. I think in general people think the left is a bunch of hippies with no common sense.

It's a false equivalency to say that left wing populists are just as dumb as right wing populists.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:34 PM   #6637
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Right wing populism is about taking for ready answers to complex problems. I'm not sure there's another a way to frame it that sounds better. That's exactly what populism is...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2017, 11:03 PM   #6638
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Right wing populism is about taking for ready answers to complex problems. I'm not sure there's another a way to frame it that sounds better. That's exactly what populism is...
Yes. Left or right thats what populism is. Why single either side out? To GGGs point above. How is it a false equivalency?

Old 07-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #6639
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes. Left or right thats what populism is. Why single either side out? To GGGs point above. How is it a false equivalency?
The problem is you believe that Alberta and Albertans are "right wing" in regards to the political sphere, especially the American political sphere. That statement basically supports that you are accepting of an unfounded belief. Just because you call yourself conservative does not make it so. Just because you call yourself liberal does not make it so. Your beliefs and your attitudes betray you. In the context of American politics, almost all Canadians are liberals. Accept it, because unless you embrace some really nutty positions on religion and guns, you have nothing in common with American conservatives.

The major difference I see with conservatives and liberals is the ability to challenge what they think they already know. Conservatives are willing to accept information, whole cloth, from any source they consider credible so long as it conforms with their worldview. This past election was proof of that, where some really crazy stuff was forwarded through the conservative media and accepted as true when it had no basis in reality or made much sense. Liberals OTOH have a natural curiosity and a desire to verify or challenge information they are told. You can tell a libtard that 2+2=4, and they will still try to find evidence to support the claim. This spills over into their daily lives as well. I can tell a student's political identification just by looking at their reference section of their papers. In a five page paper a conservative student will have three to five references, and usually from bad sources of information, but ones they trust. The liberal will have 10-15, and from sources which are relevant and have expertise on the subject matter. It is consistent and quite bizarre.

A lot of these differences between liberals and conservatives is genetic by the way. Conservatives and liberals brains are wired differently. Our brains are constructed to in ways where there is a departure in the information processing centers, or more importantly, those areas where the majority of our filtering takes place. Conservatives rely heavily on the amygdala for information processing. This lower brain function is the fear center of our brain and where much of our emotional responses come from. Liberals rely on the anterior cingulate cortex for information processing. This higher brain function is where our error handling and conflict monitoring takes place. When you hear the term social justice warrior, there is a lot of truth to that statement, as the ACC is responsible for our judgement of social issues. We behave the way we are wired.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 07-24-2017 at 06:46 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:59 AM   #6640
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A brief skim makes me wonder where you think it makes the latter point. I mean, it's pretty clear to me that the Trump administration is heavily fueled by anti-intellectualism. The statement "global warming is a hoax perpetrated by the Chinese to harm our manufacturing sector" is proof enough of that. Pointing that out doesn't say much of anything about the anti-intellectualism on the left. The author seems to be talking about one specific problem.

Salon is more or less exclusively garbage and that article doesn't strike me as interesting enough to be worth reading in any real detail but I don't think it's saying what you're saying it says. Though its attempt to tie those poll results about colleges having a negative effect on the country in the eyes of Republicans is correlation without causation, I think - that has more to do with people like Tucker Carlson pointing a spotlight at "campus madness" every week, complete with the usual cable news drama.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms