Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #21
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Agreed. It felt like the different storylines actually developed into something I want to follow. Found myself disappointed when it was over.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:49 AM   #22
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Flip, I guess we were the only ones that stuck it our for the second episode, haha.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 01:35 AM   #23
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

I thought as much. Nasty Bits seemed to be based on the Sex Pistols for instance. I was expecting a historic mash up. I wasn't one of those that was mad about it not being historically accurate. I was expecting a composite. Led being their one real tie. Which to be honest, I wouldn't have done, if it wasn't going to be historically accurate. But, I got that.

This weeks episode was better, but not selling me. I'll make a decision next week. As it seems most have.

I love Scorsese, but not his best work.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 07:45 PM   #24
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was enjoyable - not Breaking Bad great, but an enjoyable show. The Diceman and Raymond, plus Sex Pistols - certainly worth a watch while relaxing in Tucson.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 10:10 PM   #25
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, this is a quality show.

The subject matter isn't as romantic as 1920's gangsters, but it still has a lot of good topical subject matter.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I've been really enjoying it with one major caveat. I hate that Richie is on a 3 episode drug binge. I hope he moves on. Recovering addict, like he was to start, and always teetering on the edge is way more interesting than strung out.

Not only do I find strung out characters irritating but I find they can't be developed unless they get clean, which makes the character arc way too predictable.

I want to watch a show about music that happens to feature a lot of drugs. Not a show about drug addicts that happens to take place in the music industry.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #27
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All I have to say about last night's episode...... Olivia Wilde.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #28
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I've been really enjoying it with one major caveat. I hate that Richie is on a 3 episode drug binge. I hope he moves on. Recovering addict, like he was to start, and always teetering on the edge is way more interesting than strung out.

Not only do I find strung out characters irritating but I find they can't be developed unless they get clean, which makes the character arc way too predictable.

I want to watch a show about music that happens to feature a lot of drugs. Not a show about drug addicts that happens to take place in the music industry.
This was his bottom... Or was it? The whole purpose for that binge is due to the death of everyone's favourite 80's unfunny comic. He spent a whole episode tripping balls with his friend that he felt he killed. There are so many layers of emotion that are being shown by his drug rage that it literally shows us who he is. I think it's unique and very entertaining. I don't want shows to be the same and this show isn't. It's also one of the reasons The Leftovers is one of my favourite shows. No TV series has been as brave as to tell a story to depressing and hopeless as The Leftovers.

What I don't enjoy is the instant "Divorce" trope. That's as cliche as a sports interview, but again, it a dive to the bottom. Everyone loves an underdog...

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 03-22-2016 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2016, 01:08 PM   #29
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After renewing the music industry-focused series for a second season, HBO has pulled the plug on another go-round of "Vinyl."

HBO has pulled the needle from the record.

The premium cable network has opted to not move forward with a second season of rock n' roll drama Vinyl.

"After careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed with a second season of Vinyl," HBO said in a statement. "Obviously, this was not an easy decision. We have enormous respect for the creative team and cast for their hard work and passion on this project."

The news follows the April exit of showrunner Terence Winter (Boardwalk Empire), who was let go after overseeing the long-in-the-works drama from exec producers Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger.

Vinyl, which starred Bobby Cannavale as a 1970s record executive trying to save his company, opened to disappointing ratings for HBO. The two-hour series premiere averaged just 760,000 viewers in live-plus-same-day numbers. However, the show was quickly renewed for a second season no doubt due to its impressive auspices and hefty price tag. The two-hour Vinyl opener is said to have cost about $30 million and the first season $100 million.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...source=twitter
Old 06-22-2016, 02:52 PM   #30
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That sucks. I really enjoyed this one.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 02:54 PM   #31
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

It had a lot of potential but the characters devolved into caricatures from scene one and the story was a sprawling mess that didn't capitalize on or resolve any of the intriguing dramatic possibilities.

It's a shame because I love the period setting, the music, the culture, the fashion, design, etc. The main character was just too much of a mess to either care for or root for.

I was really looking forward to Season 2's take on the Disco era, how that crushed the rock & roll era, and ultimately, how disco imploded.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 06-22-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 03:00 PM   #32
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just shocked the price tag for season 1 was $100 million. That's Game of Thrones territory for budget.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #33
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's too bad.

I guess we can only get fantasy and horror TV shows now.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:32 PM   #34
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm not surprised by the cost. Movies/TV set in the 70s still need a lot more stage work than modern day shows.

It was a pretty lukewarm show for me. I enjoyed for the most part but the characters weren't overly memorable. Ray Romano was probably my favourite but it tells a lot that I couldn't tell you his character's name.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:17 PM   #35
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointed...but not surprised. It was a bit of a hot mess... but it had potential.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #36
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
Disappointed...but not surprised. It was a bit of a hot mess... but it had potential.
Yeah but HBO works with its creative folks a lot. I expect Winter/Scorcese to be back with something else soon.
Old 06-22-2016, 09:12 PM   #37
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

What? NO! I Loved that show. What's going to happen with the Buck Rogers murder now? Drats. I know he cut a deal but still.

And I was also looking forward to the onset of Disco.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #38
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Ah man, I liked it. Was really looking forward to season 2, thought the show would really find it's footing. Lots of potential. What a shame.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 09:16 PM   #39
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Also

Julian Casablancas covering and mimickin Lou Reed's vocals for White Light White Heat was crazy good

Last edited by Drak; 06-22-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Drak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drak For This Useful Post: